Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today was kind of a bad day

My asst brought red velvet cupcakes for me (my favorite) because it was my last day of eating at work(provided all goes as planned). I start my liquid diet on Monday. As soon as she brought them to me, i started bawling....i think the reality hit me like a ton of bricks....i know i should focus on the big picture, and i am determined to do this. But i dont think i realized how much i love food and how much i am going to miss it. I am dreading the next 4-6 weeks. I was literally on the verge of tears all day and I have a lump in my throat as I write this....I had the same feeling last nite at the bar with friends....like is my life of fun and carefree living over....can i enjoy partying without drinking, eating etc

is this healthy????

Yep, I suspect that it is a combination of stress and sheer nerves. I went through several rough Patches and practically bawled like a baby the night before and a fw days afterwards. It's a good relief, you are about to have life changing surgery. You should worry if you DIDN'T get upset.

thanks Rootman...i am pretty much a crybaby in general...so i suspect this will be no different....those who know what's going on will understand, others will think i am losing it lol

I felt the same way before surgery. I was eating so badly before my sleeve because I thought I wouldn't be eating all my favorite foods ever again. After surgery, my tastes have really changed. I don't really want all those "bad" foods. Sugary foods don't phase me at all. Every now and then I have a bite of something I really want and I move on. I do choose to eat correctly, but it is fairly easy with the sleeve. You get full so quickly if you eat Protein first that you don't have much room for all of the junk food. Also, I tend to want only healthy foods now. I use to LOVE Mexican food and now I don't care for it. Everything is too salty. I used to eat an entire basket of chips and salsa by myself. Not anymore! With drinking, I haven't done it yet because I don't want the carbs, but I feel so good to be down four sizes that I am super happy drinking a watered down Diet Coke. LOL! It will be hard at first, but you will see how great the sleeve is! You can do this!

You hit it on the head! You have a close relationship with food. While you will not lose this relationship, it will change. After surgery, I cried in the parking lot of a chain buffet mourning the loss of that gorged feeling. What you need to realize is that you are changing. You will be able to eat velvet cake again, just not the whole cake or cupcake.

Realize you can do this! You will enjoy food still, promise. Just in much smaller amounts.

It's perfectly normal for you to feel these emotions. But, I can tell you that I can and do (did til the positive pregnancy test) party my ass off when the occasion is "right". I eat red velvet cupcakes monthly. I eat the mini ones, and I have 2 of them at least once a month, and have for ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh what seems like forever.

You're life is NOT over. Your social life is not over. Your love for food will NOT magically disappear forever just because you have the sleeve. food might get boring, you might have an aversion to sweets, you might hate food and find eating a chore to some extent, but just my experience, I love food just as much today as I did pre-op. The coolest thing is that I am truly satisfied with 2 mini cupcakes instead of of half a dozen big cupcakes.

It was hard for me to believe that I would soon hate that "Thanksgiving day" full feeling, I loved having that feeling every meal, but now, I hate it. I feel so much better when I feed my body the best foods, and while I indulge here and there, I lead a very normal life.

Hang in there chickee, you're going to love your sleeve ! ! !

I felt like I was given an execution date when I was given my surgery date! I never realized until I had to do the 2 week liquid diet before surgery how addicted I was to food! My whole life revolved around food, everything I did, everywhere I went was always about food in some way! I had so many breakdowns before surgery I was a nervous wreck! But I can say I don't regret any of it now! especially since I am down 201lbs I still have 231lbs more to go, But I haven't been this size since junior high and I cant help but smile every time I look at myself in the mirror sometimes I feel giddy like I child! my life is about living now, about fun,friends and family not food and I love it! Good luck too you and I hope all goes well for you..

My asst brought red velvet cupcakes for me (my favorite) because it was my last day of eating at work(provided all goes as planned). I start my liquid diet on Monday. As soon as she brought them to me, i started bawling....i think the reality hit me like a ton of bricks....i know i should focus on the big picture, and i am determined to do this. But i dont think i realized how much i love food and how much i am going to miss it. I am dreading the next 4-6 weeks. I was literally on the verge of tears all day and I have a lump in my throat as I write this....I had the same feeling last nite at the bar with friends....like is my life of fun and carefree living over....can i enjoy partying without drinking, eating etc

is this healthy????

I understand how you feel, but believe me when the weight starts coming off and you can resume your normal activities/social life again you will so good and so liberated!

Don't worry we all go through funny emotions, good luck with your sleeve, you'll love it!

Oh girl, I was in your shoes just about 6 weeks ago. I was frantic at the thought of a liquid diet and I ate every favorite food I could think of in the weeks leading up to surgery. My husband couldn't figure out what the heck was wrong with me. In the midst of one conversation, I finally blurted out that I felt like I was murdering my very best friend! You know the one who ALWAYS showed up to console me and made me feel better (at least in the short term).

Some people are addicted to cigarettes, alcohol, etc. My addiction was Dr. Pepper. It's like crack for me. My mood could be gauged by the size of the Dr. Pepper I was drinking. Knowing that this surgery meant never drinking a sugary, carbonated beverage again really played with my head. But, I sit here now four weeks out and I can honestly say I haven't really struggled with not having soda. I don't know what the future holds but I am feeling positive.

I think everyone has to go through this process for themself to be a believer, but once you get to the otherside you will be okay. :)

I have been doing the same thing since my liquid diet starts on Tuesday. To be honest I haven't felt very good over the last couple days because of it, I have been eating a ton of crap. I haven't cried for the food yet, I have a feeling I am going to be an angry person for a few days/weeks after surgery.

I did have a very emotional moment while at work of all places while I was Instant messaging my husband. We were chatting and I typed out a sentence that once I lost some weight I would need to find a place to dance at. I used to dance when I was younger and just love dancing and I guess the thought of being able to do that again was overwhelming. It will be an emotional roller coaster for awhile but I am sure this is going to be the best thing I have done.

Oh I have been feeling the same way!!! I'm 11 days post-op and am on full liquids. I keep thinking will I ever be able to eat mexican food again or drink my guilty pleasure margaritas. I also regret not having some of my favorite foods before surgery- not sure what I was thinking. My mom and sister have been staying with me after surgery and they of course cook and I so want to be having what they are instead of my Protein Shakes or liquid meals. I know eventually we will be able to have small amounts of our favorite foods but I wonder will it taste the same or will I be happy with that small amount? I guess we need to stay strong and know we are doing what is best for us in the long run. Know that we are becoming healthier which will lead to a longer, more active life. Hang in there and best of luck to you as you start this journey!:rolleyes:

I am living through this very topic right now. Tomorrow I will be 14 days out. On Friday night, my family decided to go to Olive Garden, so I could join them and have some Minestrone Soup. (Broth only) My husband said that to support me, he would just order salad. I told him he didn't have surgery, he could get what he wanted, but sure enough, he ordered only salad. My FIL ordered fettucini alfredo with chicken. My MIL ordered ravioli in alfredo sauce, my child ordered spaghetti, my BIL ordered pizza, My SIL ordered coke and Soups and salad and ate a ton of breadsticks. I sat there at one of my favorite restaurants ever trying to sip my soup. While sipping, it kept bubbling up and all these bubbles were in my stomach and throat. I couldn't even finish half of it. They placed the breadsticks right in front of my face and I just smiled my way through the meal. Then my husband started eating a slice of pizza and some of his dad's fettucini, which he should if he wants. We walked out of the restaurant and my husband said, well that was okay, right? I immediately broke into tears and told him that was pure mental torture. I can't tell you how hard it was. This is just the beginning for me, but being at one of my favorite restaurants and not knowing if I can ever eat there again, and I am sure I could never eat a breadstick again, really messed with me mentally. I was having total buyer's remorse! I have to say, I am really struggling through this process. I think it is just because I am mourning my favorite foods and the fact that my husband and I often went out to eat and I miss that. I also am in a place where I feel like my little tummy will never be able to handle more food ever again. I know according to all of you that, it will change, but it's like when you are pregnant and feeling sick and it feels like you will be that way forever. lol I am 27 lbs. down, so I have to focus on that!

Guess we won't be winning any food eating contests any time soonwink.gif

I am pre-op but from everything people write says, yes we will be able to do the food thing again just never gonna win a food eating contesttongue.gif

I'm 4 weeks post op today. While I can't add to what all has been said, and I didn't really personally go thru the food mourning issue I do mourn Wine.

Due to some scheduling complications I had my 2 week post op appt this past Friday (3 weeks 4 days) and I mentioned to my Dr. my Birthday is tomorrow and that I would really like to have a glass of wine.

here is what my Dr. said. As long as you work off the calories before hand (I swim laps) he didn't feel it would be an issue "ON OCCASION".

well that was Friday and what I didn't know was my family had decided to Celebrate my b-day on Sat. since Tuesday is a work and school day. Well, long story short. I had my little glass of wine. I swam like a mad man and I lost 2 lbs over the course of the weekend.

What I'm trying to say is.... all things in moderation. learn what your body can tolerate and how hard you need to work to correct a boo boo...

Now the upside of my story... well more upside. Before I went for my swim, I started trying on bathing suits to see what one would look the best. I had bought several on sale at the end of the season and they were too small for me when we went on our cruise at christmas, anyway.... they were all too big (all of them). I had to find a smaller suit from several years back. Now that was worth all the ravioli in the world. :lol:

I think the biggest problem i have eating out... my food gets cold before i can finish it. So i sit and watch everyone else in amazement of how much junk they can put back and HOW FAST..... hard to believe that use to be me :P

Best of wishes... you will find you own rythym. Every ones is differnt. Your wine may be cake or chocolate. Portions control, substitution, and exercise will be key factors in how well we do.