Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frightend, emotional, worried & excited all at once!

Hello all! I just registered after reading how helpful this forum is. Here's my situation - I've been going through all the "requirements of Kaiser" over the past 5 months (appointments, classes, lab work ect.) and I just got my surgery date of 04-05-11 and now I'm scared to death! I thought I was like fer-sure, ya know - but now I'm like what if this is the worse mistake ever?! The biggest fear I have is losing that "relationship" I have with food and all things food involved. I love to cook and fear I won't really be able to make meals anymore. How do you go out for birthday dinners and such? Can I never ever ever ever have a Italian or Mexican meal again?! Do we expect our spouses to eat the same stuff we do? It's quite overwhelming - sorry for the manic nature of my posting!

I feel like I'm crazy - please help with your wisdom!! blink.gif

You will eventually be able to eat all foods and your relationship will change to a healthier one. Eating to live not living to eat. You like to cook well you should check out eggfaces blog she is a cook and has found interesting and delicious ways to cook healthier.

The world according to eggface

I can not wait to try more of her recipies..

Thank you so much for your advice and for the link... I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time browsing through her recipes!! She has a great story I can relate to!! PS: Love your saying - eating to live not living to eat!! biggrin.gif

You will eventually be able to eat all foods and your relationship will change to a healthier one. Eating to live not living to eat. You like to cook well you should check out eggfaces blog she is a cook and has found interesting and delicious ways to cook healthier.

The world according to eggface

I can not wait to try more of her recipies..

I had the same issues with food. With the sleeve, it really does change how you feel towards food. I was addicted to food before VSG (even the lapband couldn't change this). With the ghrelin reduced, I just don't feel controlled by food anymore. My tastes have changed as well and I don't really want "bad" foods. If I go out to eat, I share or just order something small. I sip my Water while everyone else finishes. I am happy about this. I love not stuffing myself with food! You will do great, so no worries. Good luck!

Thank you Becca!! I feel soooo much better than when I registered just a few hours ago!! I'm very thankful that I found this forum!! I'll probably be bugging you again soon - so look out for me!

wink.gif

I had the same issues with food. With the sleeve, it really does change how you feel towards food. I was addicted to food before VSG (even the lapband couldn't change this). With the ghrelin reduced, I just don't feel controlled by food anymore. My tastes have changed as well and I don't really want "bad" foods. If I go out to eat, I share or just order something small. I sip my Water while everyone else finishes. I am happy about this. I love not stuffing myself with food! You will do great, so no worries. Good luck!

Hello all! I just registered after reading how helpful this forum is. Here's my situation - I've been going through all the "requirements of Kaiser" over the past 5 months (appointments, classes, lab work ect.) and I just got my surgery date of 04-05-11 and now I'm scared to death! I thought I was like fer-sure, ya know - but now I'm like what if this is the worse mistake ever?! The biggest fear I have is losing that "relationship" I have with food and all things food involved. I love to cook and fear I won't really be able to make meals anymore. How do you go out for birthday dinners and such? Can I never ever ever ever have a Italian or Mexican meal again?! Do we expect our spouses to eat the same stuff we do? It's quite overwhelming - sorry for the manic nature of my posting!

Oh I wish I could have surgery on your date!

I totally recommend that you look for You Tubes of people who have had the sleeve. I think that will allay your fears. Some of my favorites- sunkiss718, juliarh, and a really interesting set of a brother and sister who both had it GastricSleeveReviews . You had a really good reason for wanting this- remnd yourself of that!

Also , really, where has that relationship with food gotten you? That is what I ask myself.

Thank you so much for your advice and for the link... I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time browsing through her recipes!! She has a great story I can relate to!! PS: Love your saying - eating to live not living to eat!! biggrin.gif

Glad I could help by sharing some of my knowledge. I tried out several of eggfaces receipies before my surgery and loved them. I am still in the mushy stage so I am limited right now as to what I can eat. But when I am back into solids I will be back perusing her blog finding more of her delicious receipies.

i am in the same boat. the crazy roller coaster of emotions

I had the exact same concerns regarding my emotional relationship with food. I'm 2 weeks out from surgery and feeling very much back to normal. I'm at the full liquids stage of my post op diet, so I'm not just eating anything I want yet, but I will say this.

Where I am now in my recovery, I'm planning my "meals", because if I didn't, I just wouldn't ever eat. When I do sit down and have a meal, it's about 2oz in size, takes forever to eat, and when I'm done, I have the feeling of having just eaten a huge meal, but not the emotional satisfaction of having eaten a huge meal.

So that's my biggest struggle with food so far - I WANT to eat more, but I can't. It feels frustrating at times. I can talk myself out of being upset by just reminding myself that WLS is designed to do exactly this. WLS forces your hand into making your meals smaller, and I'm so grateful for it.

*hugs* You can totally do this. I think you'll find that pretty much everyone on these boards feel the same way I do about my sleeve - we wouldn't trade them for anything.

<3

We'll all help each other through this - this forum has some awesome advise!

i am in the same boat. the crazy roller coaster of emotions

I can't thank you and everyone enough for the advice and motivation given to me tonight! It's been a rough day... and I think I can actually sleep now!! I definitely want to keep in touch - we can "lean on each other" through this process - maybe when your having a hard day, I can be there to help you!! Thanks again -

smile.gif

I had the exact same concerns regarding my emotional relationship with food. I'm 2 weeks out from surgery and feeling very much back to normal. I'm at the full liquids stage of my post op diet, so I'm not just eating anything I want yet, but I will say this.

Where I am now in my recovery, I'm planning my "meals", because if I didn't, I just wouldn't ever eat. When I do sit down and have a meal, it's about 2oz in size, takes forever to eat, and when I'm done, I have the feeling of having just eaten a huge meal, but not the emotional satisfaction of having eaten a huge meal.

So that's my biggest struggle with food so far - I WANT to eat more, but I can't. It feels frustrating at times. I can talk myself out of being upset by just reminding myself that WLS is designed to do exactly this. WLS forces your hand into making your meals smaller, and I'm so grateful for it.

*hugs* You can totally do this. I think you'll find that pretty much everyone on these boards feel the same way I do about my sleeve - we wouldn't trade them for anything.

<3

Thank you Becca!! I feel soooo much better than when I registered just a few hours ago!! I'm very thankful that I found this forum!! I'll probably be bugging you again soon - so look out for me!

wink.gif

Anytime!!!

Mine is April 8th. We'll establish NEW recipes and will be the envy of all of our friends. I say let's stay busy and just get it behind us and enjoy the benefits!