Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One month out & I've gained?

I had my surgery on January 17th and everything went great. I even lost 20 lbs in the first 2 weeks! My surgeon said it was impressive and was very happy with me. Shortly after I started purees (about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks in) I stalled. I knew to expect this, so I stayed calm and knew weight loss would pick back up. Well, here I am now, five weeks out tomorrow and I still haven't lost! I've actually gained 2 lbs. Please tell me this is normal and the scale will go back down soon. I've been exercising, mostly walking. I plan to join Curves next week. I'm having a little trouble eating much, I'm lucky to get in 500 calories a day and Protein shakes do not sit well in my sleeve yet. I'm working on it, though, I'm sure it'll come. Without a Protein shake, I can average 45-50 grams of Protein a day of my surgeon's required 60. My NUT says to do three small meals plus 3 Protein Shakes, but I'm lucky to get 1 shake in! If I do 3 shakes, I won't eat anything else, because there just isn't room. I'm wondering if this is the cause of my stall, though. I'm getting my Vitamins and fluids in just fine.

This will end soon, right? I can't believe the scale hasn't went down in over 2 weeks. So to see a 2 lb gain this morning is just shocking! I had gained 1, but this morning it had a friend. I had a Novasure Endometrial Ablation a year ago, so I don't have periods anymore. If it's my cycle, I wouldn't know, but I guess that could be an explanation. I know people say Fluid retention, but would that last 2 weeks? I felt a little backed up so I took some milk of magnesia, which helped the problem, but like I said, now I'm a pound heavier this morning... thought I would be less!

I am almost 5 weeks out too... I lost 19.8 lbs in the first two weeks, and then......a very S---l---o---w three pounds over the last three weeks... Dont get me wrong, three pounds is three pounds, but I still think that is a semi plateau. Many of those days I was up as much as 2 pounds.... I'm with ya! Ready for a drop day! I just don't think its possible to eat this little and stay the same forever... hang in there....

The only thing I can say is don't weigh yourself too often, you can have weight fluctuations for a number of reasons.

Hi all,

Thank god, i thought i was the only one this was happening to!! i haven't gained but i wasnt losing either, i am nearly 3 weeks out now and i for 5 days nothing was happening, i was begining to think why on earth did i go through all that for this, ha today i have lost another 2 pounds hopefully back on track now, i was worried at firstbecause i wasn't feeling much restriction and could get in plenty of liquids this didn't seem normal from what i read on the board but it seems to be settling down now, and now i can feel the restiction.

viv

I would not worry about it to much your body is in a state of shok and yes your weight will fluctuate up and day every day all day long so maybe you should be one of the people who only weigh once a week. as for the three week stall that is perfectally normal and I promise you as long as you are following your dr's guidelines you will begin to loose again.

I had my surgery on January 17th and everything went great. I even lost 20 lbs in the first 2 weeks! My surgeon said it was impressive and was very happy with me. Shortly after I started purees (about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks in) I stalled. I knew to expect this, so I stayed calm and knew weight loss would pick back up. Well, here I am now, five weeks out tomorrow and I still haven't lost! I've actually gained 2 lbs. Please tell me this is normal and the scale will go back down soon. I've been exercising, mostly walking. I plan to join Curves next week. I'm having a little trouble eating much, I'm lucky to get in 500 calories a day and Protein shakes do not sit well in my sleeve yet. I'm working on it, though, I'm sure it'll come. Without a Protein shake, I can average 45-50 grams of protein a day of my surgeon's required 60. My NUT says to do three small meals plus 3 Protein Shakes, but I'm lucky to get 1 shake in! If I do 3 shakes, I won't eat anything else, because there just isn't room. I'm wondering if this is the cause of my stall, though. I'm getting my Vitamins and fluids in just fine.

This will end soon, right? I can't believe the scale hasn't went down in over 2 weeks. So to see a 2 lb gain this morning is just shocking! I had gained 1, but this morning it had a friend. I had a Novasure Endometrial Ablation a year ago, so I don't have periods anymore. If it's my cycle, I wouldn't know, but I guess that could be an explanation. I know people say Fluid retention, but would that last 2 weeks? I felt a little backed up so I took some milk of magnesia, which helped the problem, but like I said, now I'm a pound heavier this morning... thought I would be less!

Just keep following you diet, try ont to weigh every day, Iknow it's hard. Soon you'll get on the scale and it will be down the 2 plus a couple more, there is no way you can not lose if you follow the diet guidlines. Hang in there.

My first 3 weeks, I did great and lost about 30 pounds. I was so ecstatic, I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. And then I waited.. and waited. Another 3 1/2 weeks passed and there was no downward budge on the scale. I was getting frustrated and felt like I failed. All the while, going to the gym, doing Zumba classes etc.

Then I had a very stressful event occur and found myself reverting back to old ways. I found myself carb binging for like 5 days. I didn't realize what I was doing until a few days had passed and I was feeling like total crap. I gained 10 pounds in that week. I hated myself even more and decided to go back to the basics. I went back to full liquids for a couple days and started to feel better. Within 2 weeks, I had lost all that weight and then some more.

What blew me away was that I could gain and lose so much weight in a matter of a short time. The initial lose was like getting my hopes up and than having nothing happen. I am attaching a link to an article that helped me. http://www.justinowings.com/b/index.php/me/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de This explains better the relationship of glycogen (sugar), carbs, Water and fat lose and how so much can be lost in the beginning and then we stall out. The ratio of carbs to Water is 1 gram carb to 4 grams water. Your body needs water to store and process the glycogen.

"Another implication of the water/glycogen relationship on bodyweight is that whereas the first 4000 calorie deficit you create will reduce your weight some ten pounds, the next 4000 calorie deficit is likely only going to reduce your bodyweight a paltry two pounds! This is because a pound of fat stores 3500 calories and requires about a pound of water for storage. Thus, the initial weight-loss will seem easy compared to the drudging continued weight-loss when you’re actually burning stored fat."

What I do know is that my clothes are fitting a lot better. I was in a size 32 pants when I first visited the surgeon in October and I just this weekend pulled out the 24's. I have eliminated all the clothes in the closet that are over a size 24 and I have twice as much space in my closet now! People at church who only see me once a week are telling me quite frequently that they are noticing differences. It's hard for me to see as I look in the mirror everyday, but even when I look a pics from this past fall, I see the difference. The renaissance dress I made in October tailored to me is too big now and needs re-tailoring. These are all good things and they remind me that this a journey, not a quick fix. They remind me that I am still human and I will falter as well as succeed. They remind me that I can not undo in a day what took a lifetime to create.

Your making great progress, wish my numbers were as great as yours. Talk to your surgeon and nut, check to see if there are little changes you can make to get yourself on track. Not saying it is the way to go, but I did notice, that upping my carbs just a tad bit for one day helps jump start my body. As if I am in starvation mode and those carbs kicked the switch back on.Protein within 30 minutes of waking is also very good for kick starting your metabolism. Our bodies all respond differently to different diets and different foods. I know I am still trying to learn what works best for mine. Good luck... just my thoughts. Hope they help.