Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The New York Times - FDA Approves Lap-Band for Millions More Patients

Saw this today & had to share. I don't have and never had a lapband, but from those I have observed and those on here with revisions, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it is not a successful tool. So, why is the FDA setting guidelines to let even more people have LapBand surgery???

The New York Times

FDA Approves Lap-Band for Millions More Patients

Publication Date: 02/16/2011 12:00 AM

WASHINGTON (AP) Cosmetic drug and device maker Allergan Inc. said late Wednesday it received approval to market its stomach-shrinking Lap-Band to millions more patients who are less obese than those currently using the device. The expanded approval to patients with a body mass index between 30 and 40 and one weight-related medical condition, such as diabetes or high blood pressure. Patients must also have previously attempted to lose weight by other methods like diet and exercise.

Allergan, based in Irvine, Calif., said an additional 26.4 million American patients meet the new criteria for the device. That's up from roughly 15 million under the previous criteria: a body mass index of 40 or higher, or 35 and higher with weight-related complications.

The adjustable band has been available in the U.S. since 2001 and about 600,000 people have had the device implanted, according to Allergan. During surgery, the band is placed over the top of the stomach and inflated with saline to tighten it and restrict how much food can enter and pass through the stomach. The device was developed as an alternative to gastric bypass surgery, a permanent procedure in which food is rerouted from a pouch in the stomach to the small intestine.

There were about 220,000 gastric surgeries last year, with banding accounting for an estimated 40 percent, according to medical society data. Surgeons say the fact that the procedure is reversible and relatively low-risk accounts for its growing popularity. Some patients who were not obese enough to qualify for Lap-Band surgery have reportedly tried to gain weight to meet the body mass requirements.

While analysts have speculated about the potential for sales to skyrocket, there are hurdles to wider use of the procedure, particularly its cost, which can range from $14,000 to $20,000. The device itself costs $3,000.

The FDA's expansion of the Lap-Band comes as rising health care costs threaten to consume nearly a fifth of the U.S. economy. Obesity-related health care spending is estimated at $147 billion, double the level of a decade ago. More than a third of all American adults are obese.

All they did was lower the requirement to a BMI of 30 if I read that correctly. I think that's actually not a bad thing. I think it fails for a lot of heavy people and that's what we read all the time.

On the other hand, I believe that people who have a BMI of just 30 RNY or VSG is quite a drastic step. 30 is barely obese and maybe for people in this lower range, the weight CAN be controlled with a band and no drastic surgery is necessary.

Never had a band either, I was looking into it but for me, VSG was the better choice. BUT...if I had a BMI of 30, which would be 185 pounds at 5'6" I would NOT have gone for such a permanent procedure.

To bail out the sinking lap band companies, perhaps?:rolleyes:

All they did was lower the requirement to a BMI of 30 if I read that correctly. I think that's actually not a bad thing. I think it fails for a lot of heavy people and that's what we read all the time.

On the other hand, I believe that people who have a BMI of just 30 RNY or VSG is quite a drastic step. 30 is barely obese and maybe for people in this lower range, the weight CAN be controlled with a band and no drastic surgery is necessary.

Never had a band either, I was looking into it but for me, VSG was the better choice. BUT...if I had a BMI of 30, which would be 185 pounds at 5'6" I would NOT have gone for such a permanent procedure.

I had a BMI of 32.8 ... but after years of yo-yo dieting, I need I needed a permanent solution.

I've read so many horror stories about banders. I know 3 people personally (and about 5 others I've met in support group). NONE have made it to goal. Some have had their bands for years with esphogus issues, heartburn, unable to eat many foods etc. How discouraging. :angry: I really don't see how this product is still on the market.

Simple - lap band has a company ($$$$$$$) behind it, while RNY and the sleeve don't.

I am glad to hear the FDA lowered the required BMI. I highly respect my surgeon, who is also a friend, and he does Lap-Bands as well as Sleeves. He believes both are great tools to weight loss. We see not so great Lap-Band stories on here, but not success stories, because the tremendous amount of success stories are being told on the Lap-Band board. I know several people who have the Lap-Band and they love it.