Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

Hi, I am a african american potential sleever. I just got approved. I would like to know if the Biotin helped with the Hair loss? I am currently in the process of going back natural and would like some tips on how to keep my hair within the process. I am looking to be sleeved in the next 2 months or so!

Thanks!

I'm natural now did my big chop in February after transitioning for 5 months I'm taking biotin now for growth and hopefully as a preventative for when I get sleeved. However from what I've read on this forum and from my surgeon the hair loss has to do with Protein intake and hormone imbalances during weight loss. For some people it's unavoidable and their are some lucky ones, but I heard it grows back :), this was part of the reason I cut my hair prior to surgery so the hair loss wouldn't be as traumatizing.

BK Mama, I live in Chicago.. feel free to add me and msg me...

I hope everyone is doing great today... my MFP username is tinalsteele

My hair has finally stopped thinning.. Thank God!!

Congrats on all of your successes!!!

Anyone in this post located in northern New Jersey? Would loveeeeee to connect!!!!!

I'm in southern nj but close enough I guess!

I'm in southern nj but close enough I guess!

My mfp is newtonya2012.

@Mspecan brown, Thanks! I see you were sleeved at Duke. I am looking to get sleeved at UNC Chapel hill.Thanks for the tips! You loom great keep up the great work! I like you hair, I wish mine was naturally curley lol.

@Mspecan brown, Thanks! I see you were sleeved at Duke. I am looking to get sleeved at UNC Chapel hill.Thanks for the tips! You loom great keep up the great work! I like you hair, I wish mine was naturally curley lol.

Anytime, girl! Let me know if I can help you with anything! I'm right around the corner. Thanks for the compliments!

@njs....Im in Newark, NJ. I'll send a friend request. i'm post-op and loving it.

People usually dont start losing their hair until arounf 3 months out....due to the fast weightloss and sedation medicine from the procedure....The Biotin will not prevent Hair loss, it helps it grow back faster....getting your Protein in helps with hair loss....this information came from a colleague/friend who is post-op RNY....

I've been natural for 5 years now, I plan to get twists in May because I do not want to deal with my hair for the first 3 months....

Hello everyone. I was sleeved March 20 and just made the decision to go natural b/c I want the healthiest hair possible especially due to what my body's going through post sleeve. Any tips on how to transition with working out? I sweat like crazy in my head and worry about my hair looking a hot mess.

Hello everyone. I was sleeved March 20 and just made the decision to go natural b/c I want the healthiest hair possible especially due to what my body's going through post sleeve. Any tips on how to transition with working out? I sweat like crazy in my head and worry about my hair looking a hot mess.

Hi there first off congrats in being sleeved. Second, being natural at this point is probably the best thing you could do for your hair because of what your body is gonna go through. I was sleeved 12/13/11 and i was natural before this process. I have experienced Hair loss but thankfully it is not noticeable. So in regards to your question I would high suggest any protective style that would minimize manipulation of your hair ie braids twists or simply putting it in a bun. With these options your hair will grow and you won't see the actual hair loss.

You can try a flat twist out or braid out.... Straw sets, you can also get flat twists with extensions... I simply wear my hair in braided styles w/ hair or a curly afro... Let me know if you need suggestions for how to do each of these.. (I work for a local natural hair care company)...

I'm not natural, but I only relax my hair 2 or 3 times a year, and I've been leaning towards going natural, I just don't know what products to use or how to care for it in that state. I love natural styles. I have been wearing a lot of braids lately, and right now I have puffy twists. Favoredone, I may have to msg you to get more info on natural hair care if I decide to go ahead and do the big chop.

The wait is killing me!!!! My surgeons office submitted my paperwork on Monday and I'm playing the waiting game. On a good note I lost 2 lbs this week been doing Atkins shakes and bars then eating a light dinner

@Shoelover,

Message me anytime.. and you don't have to be natural to use the products... just remember to moisturize your hair natural or relaxed... I use a Water based moisturizer and an oil based finishing product to help seal in the moisture... Avoid petroleum and mineral oils.. essential oils and coconut oil are much better options..

@Shoelover' date='

Message me anytime.. and you don't have to be natural to use the products... just remember to moisturize your hair natural or relaxed... I use a Water based moisturizer and an oil based finishing product to help seal in the moisture... Avoid petroleum and mineral oils.. essential oils and coconut oil are much better options..[/quote']

Hi favor done....

Do you guys sell anything to help grow hair??