Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So What's the Deal with Milk?

So ... is milk like a big no no or something? I made my Protein Shake this morning using a cup of whole D milk, then I input it into my online food tracker. Sure it had 11 grams of carbs but all in all I didn't see anything at all wrong with it - my daily total still didn't come above 30 grams. Here on the forum though, I keep seeing people talking about how their doctors and nutritionists pooh-pooh the drinking of milk and people seem to wag their fingers over drinking "too much" of it.

So, what's the scoop?

I think a lot of people become lactose intollerant after the surgery. I haven't had any issues and I use it in my Protein Shakes, etc. I just see it as a form of Protein.< /p>

A lot of people have become lactose intolerant from this surgery. I can drink a little bit of milk. If I drink a whole 8 oz glass, I get really bad gas. If I drink a larger glass than that, I get bad diarrhea.

So now, I have a sip of milk.

It's the same with ice cream. I can eat one scoop, but two makes me sick.

Other than that, if people tolerate milk okay, they drink it. I do know a lot of people said after surgery, it didn't taste good anymore.

Milk, I have it in my Protein Drinks, and at least 3 times a day in coffee and tea, my nutrtionist is fine with that, as long as it's fat free or at least semi skimmed, I'm a milk addict, and what contributes to my high carbs big time :P

Hey Globe, my nut and surgeon allow milk starting at 6 months out. I am only a week or so shy of 5 months, so I haven't had milk yet. But come 6 months out I will definitely have me a big glass of COLD skim milk. Hopefully it will still taste good!!

Deb B)

Well what I was trying to get at is that I have heard a lot of people say that -due to calories and carbs- that milk is some kind of big no no. I managed to have 8 oz of whole D full cream milk in my shake this morning and my calorie total for the day is only 700 and my carbs 37. I would think that the carbs from a Calcium fortified glass of milk would be more welcome than the empty carbs from say a white flour muffin or something?

Well what I was trying to get at is that I have heard a lot of people say that -due to calories and carbs- that milk is some kind of big no no. I managed to have 8 oz of whole D full cream milk in my shake this morning and my calorie total for the day is only 700 and my carbs 37. I would think that the carbs from a Calcium fortified glass of milk would be more welcome than the empty carbs from say a white flour muffin or something?

I agree with this GT, I watched a scientific programme the other day where they demonstrated that 2 people on the same amount of calories and fat diet, one included diary and one one didn't, the fat loss through the stools of the patient consuming diaries was double to the one who wasn't. Here's an interesting article as well

http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v12/n4/full/oby200467a.html

I started on milk on week two and I LOVE it! My NUT was surprised that I could handle it so well because I guess others can't sometimes with the sleeve! I drink EVERYDAY, either in my Protein drinks or by itself, sometimes both! That is where I am getting pretty much all my crab intake because I'm not eating any breads or pastas and not a lot of veggies! I drink 1% milk!

I love 1% - it's just the right balance between milk flavor and low calories. Especially in the winter, I find skim milk often a little bit too icky. Too bad not everyone carries 1%

1 envelope of SF Carnation Instant Breakfast (Chocolate) + 1 Cup FF Evaporated Milk + 1/4 cup FF powdered milk + sugar or splenda to sweeten + heat in the microwave = 32 grams of protein in one sitting with the richest creamiest hot chocolate you'll ever have!! my new addiction!! :rolleyes:

1 envelope of SF Carnation Instant Breakfast (Chocolate) + 1 Cup FF Evaporated Milk + 1/4 cup FF powdered milk + sugar or splenda to sweeten + heat in the microwave = 32 grams of Protein in one sitting with the richest creamiest hot chocolate you'll ever have!! my new addiction!! :rolleyes:

i do similir but blend w ice, Protein powder, either chocolate or vanilla, SF cocoa powder, skimmed milk, ice, a yummy milkshake, low fat high proteins!!

Well, here is what the NUTs who work for my surgeon say (you know how NUTs have their mantras, and repeat them over and over to anyone who is willing to listen ;) )

"Don't drink your calories"

They say it is a slippery slope, getting your calories from drinking (like milk leading to milkshakes, and fancy coffee drinks, etc.) The big deal about milk is that it is not dense, solid, filling Protein. It goes right through you. HOWEVER, most NUTs are also accustomed to dealing with RNY and BAND patients who STILL have their FULL hunger, which is why they develop the mantra about it going right through you. They would rather see you EAT the same amount of calories, carbs, Protein, & fat, than drink them.

If you are concerned about your milk consumption, I would probably check with your dr. or NUT, and see what they say. I think since most sleeve patients don't have extreme hunger, and you are tracking your calories, and getting all your protein, then to ME, it seems fine. But I am not a professional. :)

I have to agree with Sheila. Not only was I told to avoid drinking calories, your drink isn't just calories, it is is crazy high in calories, if my math is correct, this should be 60+200+100=360 calories. That is A LOT for 32 grams of Protein. I believe you that it tastes great but I think I rather get my 30g through my Wheybolic Protein shake for 140 calories. It may not taste as nicely, but the difference of 220 calories is basically a whole meal for me or an awesome treat. I can have a cup of Edy's Fun Flavor ice cream which is usually between 190 and 250 depending on flavor. Or I can have a nice glass of wine, or chocolate mousse or...you get my point :-)

I was told that I should stay around 900 calories (now 9 weeks out) and I have no problem doing that and not feeling like I am sacrificing. If I would have a cup of hot chocolate with 360 calories, I would get in trouble staying within my limit or have to sacrifice a meal

I have had zero food intolarnces and I feel lucky about that. My nut recommends some milk in the diet.