Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SMMC LB support group chicas

I checked, it's about 50 minutes from home. That works, won't need to reschedule. :lol:

Hey guys, it was great seeing you again. I always forget how big their portions are. I *still* have leftovers.

Do any of you by any chance know anyone who is a general contractor, or a really good handyman, whom you would feel confident recommending?

We need to have some work done & I'd prefer to get someone with good word-of-mouth, but can't find anyone in my area. We need someone who can lay tile, marble & ceramic, and someone who can lay hardwood. We also need someone who can work with Cultured Stone. If the person happens to paint also, there'd be more work in the deal.

Do any of you know someone who does good, quality work & whom you would not hesitate to recommend to someone else?

It was good to see you all as well. Looks like things have flipped around at work again and I'll be taking the new job. At this point I just want it all to be over with which ever way it falls.

Sorry I don't have anyone to recommend. Infact if you find one you like and they are reasonably priced I have work we need to be getting to as well. What I'd actually like to find is an individual who would be interested in doing the work on the side and using my dh as an extra pair of hands where ever possible to save on the costs. Maybe someone recently retired that could be more of a paid on the job instructor with Ben as the laborer.

We have a good friend who has a handy-man/remodeling business. I had never seen his work until recently when they bought a house up the street from us. They have gutted the whole house and he has remodeled every nook and cranny and it looks amazing. He has put in hardwood, tile, granite, slate, put in EVERY single light fixture, electrical, plus painting. I am closer with his wife, but he is a great guy. I have her cell phone, but I'll call her tomorrow and then pass the number along to you via PM.

Thanks Robyn, that will be great!

I'm kind of kicking myself here. We had painters lined up and ready to go around April. We'd decided to use the same guys who did our exterior last year. They did an *awesome* job, and were priced very competitively. I sat on it because I was back and forth over my color choices... absolutely could not decide... but finally made up my mind... called him Friday to book the job & he's out of commission fighting pancreatic cancer. :rolleyes:

We attempted doing some tile ourselves. DH thought it would be "fun". 6 months later when he still only had about 60% of the tile down I pushed him to get the rest... so there it sits to this day, ungrouted and very "homemade" looking. That's in the front door entry way, so I guess we'll now be pulling it up and just having the hardwood put in the entire area.

*sigh*

My husband loves to TRY and do things himself, but they just don't get done. He's all for it until about 60% - 70% done, this fizzles out and trying to get more work out of him is like trying to convince him to give up his left nut. It's so frustrating. I understand he is afraid to do more and mess something up b/c he doesn't know what he's doing, but I'm like - DAMMIT, I could have just paid someone to do it a month ago, and had it done 2 or 3 days later. *sigh*

I am not. Maybe search the MO forum for "joplin" and see if you get any hits? If you don't find a group, maybe you can at least find someone from there, who could help you out. Another place you could start would be calling the local hospitals and asking them if they have bariatric surgeons on staff, or if they sponsor any bariatric support group meetings.

If nothing else you could search OH. They have a *great* listing of surgeons by state/city.

Thanks Wheetsin. I'll try those things. I was banded by Dr. Malley in KC and that group meets once a month, but it's just too far for me to travel on a regular basis.

I can understand that. When we can't get out of state for it we scuba in Joplin/Oronogo - it's a long & boring drive. You can't get me to do it outside of scuba season. :)

Best of luck. If you can't find anything local, feel free to hop aboard here. Even if you can find something local, feel free.

Gotta be me,

Saw you were banded by Dr. Malley in KC. I'm in the process of getting it done. Anything you can tell me....good or bad?

5jacks, congrats on getting banded and on getting Dr. Malley to do it. I really like him. His personality appears to be a bit dry, but I feel comfortable with him and he seems to be caring about his patients. His office staff are great; friendly and helpful. Let me know how you do.

Banded 7/6/06

Beginning weight 314

Current weight 284

I've only talked with him once, but understand what you mean! Rachel is trying so hard to get Aetna to pay for the surgery. By the time I get done jumping through all the insurance hoops I will have lost part of my weight from all the exercise!

Our weight is almost the same....I was at 325 today, would love to be at or under 200 some day. Hoping that isn't too far out of reality!

Hello SMMC ladies!

I made a long post the other day but timed out trying to submit it *sigh*Quick question for you guys -- Jennifer, I know this won't apply to you and Holli - not sure... but... so there's a big incision in the middle. Is the band itself right behind that incision, above it, or below it? (Yes, I am perhaps mistakingly assuming some consistency here!) :)

My port is just a bit above the incision. I think as the weight goes and the skin sags most of us will have the scar below the port.

Sorry, I haven't been posting lately. Things finally came to a head at work. After we had dinner and it looked like my boss was going to "match" or beat my new offer. The offer he actually gave me worked out to be a pay cut from when I use to be full time. It was an accident on his part but rather than go back and forth. I just took the other offer. So now I've been stuck with my old dial-up at home instead of the Trunk line I had at work and when I have had time to get on in the evenings I've been spending my time trying to get all my e-mail updated on all the various sites that have it in their records. I may be needing to invest in a higher speed access at home soon.

The new work is going well. Wednesday was my first "official" day though I did go in a couple days the end of last week for some training.

The weight loss has completley stopped. I haven't lost an ounce and have probably gained a few since the end of September. I've pretty much fallen off the wagon so to speak. On the good side even off the wagon I haven't gained much. Now that I'm feeling a bit more settled at work I'm going to try to get back into the swing of things with the band.

I think I'll try to go to the other support group at HS&S next Tues night. My husband even wants me to go and normally he's complaining about how it means he's alone with Brian all night.

Welcome back GHOST! We have missed you. I am finally banded as I think you probably know. I really don't know where my port is?? HA. I was just banded 6 days ago so I am sure I figure it out soon. I am down about 14-15 #'s finally feeling better. MY first night was awful profuse vomiting and then they next some.... I don't go to work for awhile ( did the STD route) so I should be good to go. I am hungry though but its almost more of a chore to try and drink Soup than its worth..HA! I did have 1/4 of cottage cheese today. Ummm.. finally somthing besides soup. I need ideas of mush foods I just can't think of much!