Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SMMC LB support group chicas

No more meeting for coffee without the rest of us. :D:)

Sorry Angela...It was very impromptu after my last fill I called Holli, and it just happened to be right at the time she was getting off work :D

I still PB quite a bit...but I don't worry about it as much anymore. I have such a wide range of being too tight/then too loose. If I had any of my fill taken out at this point, I would be gaining like crazy. This may be a stupid theory, but if I feel like I'm going to have one...I get it over with immediately so the food isn't so "deep" down in my stomach around the band. Then I am not wretching my stomach/band to get it back up. I personally believe it is much less traumatic. However, I have definitely had those more painful PB's and I can see where they could cause trauma to the band/stomach itself.

Yep...my bandiversary is August 5th. I just can't believe it is already here. It has been quite possibly the fastest year of my life. I have been dropping hints to my hubby that I want some sort of party to celebrate...but he isn't the type to usually "get" my hints.

I have been thinking...I actually called Mario Tricocci, and while I would love to go there...they are WAY too expensive for my needs right now. Maybe someday when I'm ready for a 'total makeover'.

I absolutely LOVE the melting pot, and I have actually been there twice since being banded. It is VERY band friendly because you have to eat slow....AND all the meats you can get for your main meal are great bandster choices. Angela, did you say 1/2 off coupons...that's unreal! We always spend so much moola when we go there :hungry: . Maybe we could do the pottery thing first, then go out for dinner afterwards. Would you all have to do a weekend. How about Sunday noc (I think that would be the 6th?)

Has anyone heard from Cate yet? Hope she is doing well. I know she was soooo busy AND having some fun before she left, but I didn't see any posts from her prior to her leaving. She is doing so well, hope she keeps us updated on her progress.

Holli-To answer your question.....yes I get a nauseated and sick feeling when I go into hospitals....mostly just because that means I am arriving at work!!! LOL!! Very sorry about her surgery...that is so young to have to go through that. Hope she is doing well. Kids are such troopers when it comes to that stuff though.

Oh and by the way, that 16+ pounds I put on in 5 days at the family reunion....I have taken 11 of that off...yay! But need to get back down to my pre-op weight because I definitely want to be to my goal by my one year.....Holli, the obsessive behaviors like we talked about are starting to kick in with a vengeance:o

Hey Robyn, they're not doing it right now - I should have checked before I opened my mouth (they have different restaurants this month) but 96.5 VERY frequently sells Melting Pot gift certificates at half the face value, so you can buy a $100 certificate for $50.

Hi, I saw this thread and was so glad to see people from my area. I am a 33 year old mother of two girls ages 12 and 7, I am married and live in Olathe and was banded by Dr. Malley on 12-15-06. To date, I have lost 57 lbs and have had no major issues to speak of besides the occasional heartburn, two overfills, three unfills and some heavy coughing at night when I was overfull. I absolutly love my band though and I know that I could not be where I am without it. I weighed 250 when I got my band and was at 193 this morning (have been for a couple days). I think that the hardest part for me about being overweight is that several years ago, I lost 80 lbs, but I was also newly divorced, terrified and bulemic. I lost the weight over a five month period and never admitted that I had a problem. Although I remarried at 145 lbs, I was only there for about five minutes before I packed back on all the weight plus some in a about a year and a half period. Although I was ashamed, embarrased and had a very low self esteem, I had managed to all but quit throwing up (after being caught a few times). I talked to my husband for about a year about getting the band. At first, he was very against it because he is not one that would elect to have voluntary surger, but slowly he started to accept the fact that I really wanted it and it would make me happy. The diagnosis of pre-diabetes also helped him to accept that surgery may be a good option for me. So, we qualified for a loan and I got banded. I have never regretted my decision and would love to meet and support others that have been or are on the same journey as me. By the way, I am no longer bulemic. Please let me know when you guys/girls plan to meet, I would love to meet you all.

Doitfor4me

Hi Doinit4me!

Nice to meet you (what is your real name by the way:biggrin1: )? As far as I am concerned, that would be great if you would like to meet with us sometime, as long as you don't mind us yacking about our doc...we don't mind you yacking about yours :D ...I have actually always wondered about Malley's patients since his practice is SOOOO advertised on TV etc. Did he make you go to pre-op stuff, like lots of psych visits to prepare for the surgery/what to expect after etc? Also does he provide monthly support groups for his patients to attend? I've just always wondered.

Angela-That's still okay for melting pot even if we don't have a coupon.....If we split something 3-4 ways, it still won't be that expensive :) How is the 6th for you?

Hi Robyn, thanks for responding.

Dr. Malley does have monthly support groups, but I have never been to one, mostly because I work a regular schedule during the week and Saturday morning is my housecleaning time. I went to Dr. Hoen's (sp) seminar and that is where I learned about the lapband, but I found out that I could have it done $700.00 cheaper with Dr. Malley, so I ended up having him do my surgery, mostly to save myself money, but also because I actually know someone else who had it done by Dr. Malley about a year ago, so I liked that too, but the final string was the fact that because I was self pay, I did not have to go thru all of the pre-op stuff, except for some blood tests.

I'm going to say that preliminarily the 6th works for me. I fly out to Tampa the following week. There's like a 20% chance I will need to leave Sunday, and an 80% chance I will need to leave Monday. So chances are the 6th is just fine. I'm hoping to know by COB whether I need to be there Mon or Tue, so should be able to say for sure later on.

Hi doinit4me, Dr. Hoehn's patients have this thread pretty much monopolized, but there are several others in the KS area who use this forum. You might want to start a new thread titled - whatever you want - and seek out locals. I'm pretty sure there are lots of meetings going on with all the different little "groups" of people who get together. Starting a new thread will keep your info from getting lost in a sea of chatter, and give others a place to "sign up", so to speak, for some kind of informal event or something. :eek:

Ok Robyn - "I get it over with immediately so the food isn't so "deep" down in my stomach around the band." HOW? (I mean that seriously - I want to know!) Have you just lived with this long enough that you can "make" yourself irp the food? (A friend who had RNY can do that... purge on demand, basically...) I'd love to be able to get rid of it as soon as I know it's stuck. FORTUNATELY I've never had one of those hours & hours of pain PB... mine are generally over after about a half an hour.

Ok Robyn - "I get it over with immediately so the food isn't so "deep" down in my stomach around the band." HOW? (I mean that seriously - I want to know!) Have you just lived with this long enough that you can "make" yourself irp the food? (A friend who had RNY can do that... purge on demand, basically...) I'd love to be able to get rid of it as soon as I know it's stuck. FORTUNATELY I've never had one of those hours & hours of pain PB... mine are generally over after about a half an hour.

Yep...I'm sad to say that I'm one of those that can now "irp on demand" as you put it :eek: but only if the trigger (food stuck in my throat) is there. If I get the sliming etc...which by now I know 100% of the time if I'm going to have to hurl or not....I just excuse myself immediately to the bathroom. Usually the mere smell of the BR and bending over sliming in the toilet elicits a response:rolleyes: ....I have to say though... If I were in complete and utter agony like I have read that some go through when food gets stuck...I think I would opt to use my finger to induce vomiting....I'm sorry, I said it! But if you are going to mostly likely end up puking anyway, why not just get it over with rather than suffer for an hour and then end up with the same result? That's just my mind rationalizing it I guess:heh:

Holli and Cynthia....can either of you do something on the 6th?

Leaving earlier than expected...won't be back until Mid next week, but if I have time I'll check in on my Dad's computer.

You know, I was really looking forward to meeting you the most, but you know what, not so much anymore. You obviously know plenty of people and don't have room for more. Good luck to ya.

Robyn, I hope you have a chance to "check in". The 6th sounds good to me. Also, I have to say... the whole "irp on demand" thing is fascinating to me. Do you think it is just because of irping frequency?

I like "irping" much more than PB. My episodes have never been so simple to call them a productive burp. I have never like that term.

Hi doinit4me!

I have to say something in Angela's defense. Please just try to remember in this medium it is very easy to misunderstand. Without seeing someone's body language, hearing their tone or knowing their personality...it is very easy to get offended.

Btw, I also have been curious of Dr. Malley's program. Is he very busy? Does he do anything other than the lap-band?

You know, I was really looking forward to meeting you the most, but you know what, not so much anymore. You obviously know plenty of people and don't have room for more. Good luck to ya.

Hi guys!!! Aug 6th would probably work for me depending on how early we get together. Wesley's birthday is the 4th and I'm having a sleepover for him and his friends Sat night. But I'd really like to get together. When are you leaving on vacation Robyn? Hope you have fun.

doinit4me: Hi I am Cynthia. I think you would really like Angela a lot. She as well as the rest of them has been very supportive to me lately with all my complications with my band, my insurance, and my mental health. If it wasn't for the support I get from my support group I would be really wierd. I think we all enjoy meeting new people and sharing our experiences.

Got to stop for now Wes wants the computer for awhile. Oh yea I am exercising again and have eaten healthy the last 2 days.

Would you guys be interested in meeting BEFORE support group this month? :eek:

I get off work at 5, not too far from the hospital and hate to drive all the way home just to turn around and come back. I also will be leaving town Friday night, so I need to get home after the group to pack.

Just wondered if maybe anyone would be interested in meeting, maybe just at Panera across the street from the hospital for coffee or dinner? :):hungry:

Let me know, because I may want to leave just a little earlier that day to meet up with ya'll.

Wow, you really misunderstood what I said! Unfortunate, because I think the more people we can know who share our experience the better. But best of luck to you on your band journey!

Robyn - so when you use your finger and force your gag reflex, do you actually vomit or can you stop at PB?

Holli - how far are you from Nebraska Furniture Mart? We have to run down there tomorrow night or Thursday night to pick some stuff up after work, so if you're anywhere near there, and going to be free, I thought we'd stop by and I can go shopping in your boxes of fat clothes.

post-205294-13813133771121_thumb.gif

Angela, I am about 20 minutes south (on 435) of Nebraska Furniture Mart. Tomorrow I am getting my hair done and will be gone from about 6:15 to 7:30. After that or on Thursday would be good for me.