Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Weeks post op and no weight loss

Hi,

I'm new to this site.

Had my surgery on Sep 27, 2010. On the day of surgery I weighed in at 252 lbs. I am now down to 230. Did not loose any weight this week and feeling really, really discouraged. I need some eating tips or tips overall from anyone who has passed this stage.

Not doing well on the Protein area.

Sounds loike you are just having a stall. I had one from my 2nd week all the way into my 3rd week - it was very discouraging but I did notice that my clothes were getting looser. Then all of a sudden I started losing again. IN fact, during the stall, not only did I nopt lose weight but I gained 3 lbs! It will pass. Just try to get in your Protein (I get now between 50-60 grams a day - mu surgeon said he was happy with 45 and I've just stared to be able to get in more.

Don't get discopuraged, the weight WILL come off :-)

Welcome to the site. Lots of support here. My Nut says we will average losing 10 lbs a month. You are doing very well so far! 18 lbs is certainly not "no weight loss". Slow downs and stalls are normal. Follow the rules given to you by your Nut. and you will get to your goal. Try not to talk mean to yourself... You are well on your way already, relax and enjoy the ride.

When you stall, your body is adjusting to the weight loss. You are losing inches. You will notice in your clothes. I see it as a win-win whether it is pounds or inches I will take it...

lil red raider makes a good point. You should check your inches as well as your weight and see where you are losing. You may in fact be building muscle which wieghs more than fat. So you would be losing fat and gaining muscle which you will see a difference in your inches and not your weight. Give it time you will get past this stall in due time.

Lily

I believe your in a stall too. Mix up your calories, try something like a low, medium and high calorie days. Make sure your doing what your NUT says and as said before in this site by Tiffkins, 'throw a monkey wrench' in your diet to confuse the body. Also something I do in stalls is take a stool softener, and usually breaks my stall!! I've had two stalls already!!

Welcome to the site! Hang in there...i just came off an almost three week stall. They happen then they are gone and the weight begins to fall off again!!!

Keep track of what you are eating to help stay the course and good luck!

Welcome to the site! Hang in there...i just came off an almost three week stall. They happen then they are gone and the weight begins to fall off again!!!

Keep track of what you are eating to help stay the course and good luck!

Up your Protein and your stall will probably break quickly. That's what got me out of my three week stall. I don't say that lightly because I continue to have to work hard at getting in protein. I FINALLY found two protein supplements that I can tolerate on a regular basis (Jay Robb whey Protein Powder and Isopure ready to drink clear whey protein drinks). If it wasn't for those, I'd be getting about 15 gm a day. I still can't eat enough to get in a decent amount. In addition to the protein being good for your body, it also has a way of squeezing out room for the non-protein foods you might otherwise eat. Now that I can eat anything I want, I am finding myself straying from pure protein foods, like meat. Even something as simple as choosing green Beans or sweet potatoes interferes with the amount of protein you can eat. I choose to eat side dishes here and there to keep my diet more interesting, so the supplements are a must for me.

Wouldn't you think our surgeons would warn us about stalls? It looks to me like pretty much nobody's surgeon said anything about it beforehand, including mine. What the hell?

Stalls happen, and we can't expect our bodies to lose a pound a day forever. Stalls aren't even considered a true stall until you go a minimum of 14 days without any loss.

Try to remember that your body has been through hell, we went from eating 2-3k calories a day to a mere 500-800, and you can toss in surgery trauma, healing, and anesthesia, your body is just trying to figure out what you've done to it. Every nutrient and calorie you're feeding it right now is being used to sustain normal body functions, and trying to heal your body. We didn't get fat overnight, we won't get skinny overnight so try to give yourself and your body a break. Try to up your Protein, increase your walking/exercise, and make sure you are getting in enough fluids. Most every WLS patient experience stalls, and I personally don't think surgeons tell us about them because it's pretty logical that we can't continue to drop 30lb every 14days until we hit goal. If that were the case, we'd all hit goal within 2-3 months post-op and not really make the necessary life changes after surgery that will give us a lifetime of success.

In addition to keeping carbs under control, I would look at drinks like Crystal Light as a potential contributor of stalls. Aspertame can be a major blocker of bodyfat loss. I've been semi-stalled since October 24 (I was sleeved on October 13), and I'd started drinking Crystal Light because I felt like I was choking down all my Water every day. When I stopped drinking Crystal Light and went back to only water, my scale started to move. I'm not dumping weight like crazy again yet, but my situation is more ... Fluid. Things are moving, and there's no question in terms of how I feel and look that I'm losing. It's just not necessarily being completely reflected on the scale.

Lots of great advice has been given. Hang in there and keep doing what ur surgeon recommends and you will lose. Best of luck and welcome.