Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally made up my mind to have my band removed

Just an update

Current mood: optimistic.gif optimistic

Category: Goals, Plans, Hopes

I finally made up my mind to have my gastric band out. I have been debating on it for weeks. I am not sure whether I just didn't give it a chance or if it was put in too high which causes me difficulty swallowing. I go back and forth in my thinking constantly. I have an appointment with a very prominent pain dr in the city in July, that writes many articles on chronic pain and tolerance, and also conducts a lot of experimental trials on new treatments and new drugs. My reasoning then goes to: what if I feel better and I really want to put all my efforts into losing weight? Perhaps I should see a nutritionist and psychologist like they wanted me to and really have the band adjusted and go to support groups. Then I say to myself, "Nah, I'm never gonna change, this is my lot in life(having chronic pain) and I just have to accept it."Anyway, after trying to eat a turkey sandwich the other night and only being able to get 2 small bites down before it got stuck in my throat, I could either wait patiently and see if it got digested, or go and throw it up. I decided that I love food too much and although I may be able to live on 2 bites, my head was still hungry and I wanted to eat the rest. I am also lacking the nutrition that meat, fish and chicken would give me. My cholesterol is a little high because I live mostly on soft foods that include cheese and thats not good for me either. It would be so nice to have a balanced diet. I just have to be on Weight Watchers for the rest of my life and do the best I can. The surgery is Thurday, June 15 at Northshore- LIJ hospital at Syosset. I stay in over night and then come home the next day. Say a prayer for me and wish me luck and as little pain as possible because when I had the sucker put in, they were unable to control my pain the first 2 days and I was miserable. This time they have the pain group from that hospital meeting with me before the surgery so hopefully I will have an easier time.

Karel,

I am so sorry that you have to take this step. I am sure you know what is best for you.

Good luck with the surgery. I hope the post-operative pain isn't too bad.

I also wish you luck with Weight Watchers.

Karel,

I live near that hospital and had my surgery there. I work as an RN for the same healthcare system. Is Dr. Geiss doing the procedure? I hope all goes well for you and that you soon are pain-free.

I'm sorry that it hasn't worked out for you. Do you have any fill, now? Maybe you could try an unfull before the removal step?

I get the inner debate. I was able to do that for almost two years before my revision surgery.

In my case, I didn't want to be treating a problem that could be eliminated, and I figured old-dog-new-tricks wasn't my forte.

We each have to do what we think is best for our health...physical and mental. Good luck.

I'm sure many of us struggle with that decision. Please let us know how it goes for you. Good luck.

Sorry Karel that things did't work out as expected! I know you must have encountered alot of frustration and disappointment. I wish you the best and pray for a speedy recovery and your pain gone!!!!

Shawn

Karel, you have to do what is right for you. Sorry it didn't work out. My sister lost 100 lbs thru TOPS and has kept if off for 8 years. Having been thru what you've have I bet you can do it without a band!

Ok, an update, my band is out and the surgery was much easier than the surgery to put it in. I feel so much better to be able to swallow and enjoy my food. For now I doing Weight Watchers on my own, but mom is going to join L A Weight Loss soon, and if she finds it successful I will probably join also.

So glad to get an update. It's a tough decision, but that feeling of relief after the band removal -- no more pain, PB's, etc. -- makes you glad. Be careful to keep any good habits you picked up with the band...I wish you lots of success with WW. It's worked for so many people.

Elizabeth

What an experience it is having the band out. I can finally taste and enjoy my food. No soda for 3 yrs, or eating and drinking at the same meal. I feel so good to be able to honestly feel full because I had a balanced meal. Of course I have been celebrating by having all of the foods I have missed also, but enough is enough and after trying to do WW on my own all week and failing, I realize I need help so I went to Jenny Craig. My thinking was, I'll just use them to get off the 1st 15 lbs, then i'll go to WW. After seeing how warm and sincere the people are at the center I went to, I joined for a yr and made a committment to get to 165 lbs. I'm at my all time high of 229 now. Wish me luck. I am happy with my decision. Karel

Good luck Karel! I wish you all the best, and I hope you'll post updates about how you are doing! We have plenty of pre-banded and de-banded and revised folks here and we are ALL in the same weight loss boat. You can do it!!!! I'm relieved for you! So glad you are happy with your decision. Good for you!

Definitely would be interested in hearing about how Jenny C. works out for you. Soon after being de-banded, I went to WW and quit after the first week and gaining five pounds. Points plan just gives me a little too MUCH freedom. I did have success with Jenny Craig after I had my son -- 16 years ago!!!!!!! So, I've thought about it. And, hey, it worked for Kirstie Alley. As she says on the cover of this week's People magazine, "If I can do it, anyone can." Arrgh.

Elizabeth

Update: Of course my incisions got infected. Everything happens to me. I got infected on a Tuesday and I had my post-op appointment on Thursday so I figured I'd wait. The pain on Tuesday and Wednesday night was intense. I am a chronic pain patient and have been a nurse for 26 yrs, but even my diludid didn't help that pain. When I got to the dr on Thurs I saw a female dr who's name I didn't catch. She was gonna send me home with nothing because I had taken a shower before my appointment and the wounds looked pretty clean; red, but clean. I complained that the pain was unbearable and there has to be something wrong. She then called Dr Powers and when he pressed around a little, he decided to give me an antibiotic. He sent me home and said to keep the wounds open to air and just wash them with soap and Water twice a day. Saturday morning I woke up with blood all over my nightgown. I am putting loose gauze on them and hoping for the best. Of course the antibiotic is giving me diarreah but i'll try some immodium today because I am not gonna disturb anyone on a holiday weekend. As far as Jenny Craig, I gained 2 lbs. My belly is very swollen and it wasn't a full week when I weighed in so hopefully I'll do better next week. The food is scrumptious, nothing like Nutra/System.I was really suprised because its nothing like it was years ago. When I went to the center on Saturday morning, my counselor gave me about 5 minutes and that was it. I complained so she said I should call her on Monday and she would have more time to go over my meal plan. I am hoping to have a better weight loss next week, if not they are gonna have to reduce my calories. I'll keep you informed, meanwhile it feels so good to be eating like a normal person again. I feel so bad for my friends who had surgery and can't reverse it. I have a few friends who rather dump then give up sweets.