Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pre surgery jitters

After applying for v.s.g I was denied by Blue Shield,the same with appeal. Then, miracles of miracles, the managed health care board accepted my grievance.Now i'm fast tracking toward surgery(before the 1st of the year) and i'm scared to death. I'm 6'2"-325lbs.and b.m.i. is 41. I truely feel this is my best option,but i'm beset with the "what if's" and surgery fears. I know this is normal,but it doesn't make it any easier. HELP!!!

I know how you feel, I am going to have surgery Nov 23rd and I am also scared to death. I am going to go to mexico for my surgery cause my insurance wont cover me here.

So there are tons of what if's, im just putting it in GODS hands.

Good Luck to you,

Hi Thinner!

I had the same reaction after winning my appeal!

I had the same fears about the "what ifs". I knew the sleeve was the right option for me, but I felt little unsure even as I headed into the OR! But I am 16 days out and life is fine. I wasn't overcome with nausea or gas and am doing well returning to soft foods. An egg never tasted so good!! This forum is full of great people who are very supportive as you progresson your journey.

Good luck on your journey!

Fit

I too had to wait due to appealing. Part of me wanted to give up and use the appeal as an excuse. For me I focus on why I am getting the sleeve. I don't want my body to fall apart after 40 like my parents and so many others in my family. I also know this surgery is my best option. No matter how many times I have failed at dieting, I refuse to let that voice of failure dissuade me. I will lose this time, I may not lose as fast as others. I may have stalls. I may have awful side effects like nausea, acid, and pain, but this tool will work in the long haul. I will not fail this time.

Face your fears, talk back to them,and kick their a**. They have no place in your thin healthy future.

I know how you feel, I am going to have surgery Nov 23rd and I am also scared to death. I am going to go to Mexico for my surgery cause my insurance wont cover me here.

So there are tons of what if's, im just putting it in GODS hands.

Good Luck to you,

I'm having mine on 11/22. Good luck to you!

After applying for v.s.g I was denied by Blue Shield,the same with appeal. Then, miracles of miracles, the managed health care board accepted my grievance.Now i'm fast tracking toward surgery(before the 1st of the year) and i'm scared to death. I'm 6'2"-325lbs.and b.m.i. is 41. I truely feel this is my best option,but i'm beset with the "what if's" and surgery fears. I know this is normal,but it doesn't make it any easier. HELP!!!

Good luck on your journey. Are you going to any support group meetings? What's the next step for you?

I feel the same way! I will more than likely have my revision in December. It is scary for me mainly because I fear the recovery. One thing I have done is to watch the Youtube videos about people who have had the sleeve. It is really neat to watch their weight loss and also to see what difficulties they have had. I feel more prepared and motivated to go through with it! We either have two choices, stay miserable and fat or move on to a new life!

I'm having mine on 11/22. Good luck to you!

Who is doing your surgery? I am going to Dr Rodriguez in Mexico

Good luck on your journey. Are you going to any support group meetings? What's the next step for you?

I'm going tomorrow (10/5) for A consultation to see what tests I have to re do because so much time has elapsed. No support groups yet, I only found out a week ago that i'm actually having surgery after all.

I'm going tomorrow (10/5) for A consultation to see what tests I have to re do because so much time has elapsed. No support groups yet, I only found out a week ago that i'm actually having surgery after all.

]

Dr. Washington in New Jersey. Can't wait!!!!

Hey, Cielle we are neighbors. I am going to Mexico to get my sleeve because of a clause in my insurance that I am only allowed 1 WLS per lifetime and that was my band even though it slipped. they considered the revision a 2nd surgery. So anyway, I'm getting my surgery next Friday ACK!!! Good luck on your journey, maybe we will meet at a suppory group or something!

Patti

Distract yourself. Realistically, you're more likely in far more danger just driving to work every day than you are from this surgery, if the surgery is done by a reputable doctor in good facilities, etc. In fact, your risks from remaining obese are far greater than the risks from the surgery.

I know that none of this rational stuff touches fear (which is, by definition, irrational), so my best advice is simply to distract yourself. Don't think about it. You know the fear is irrational. You know you can't "will" the fear away (willpower is SO overrated). So just find something else to do to make the time pass -- read a book, watch a movie, try to get in some exercise. Before you know it, the surgery will be over, you'll be doing fine, and well on the way to recovery.

BTW, your stats for height/weight/BMI almost exactly match mine, and my surgery was flawless -- very, very little pain, no complications, amazingly short recovery. I was on my feet and mobile within hours of the surgery, and within a week I had almost forgotten I had it -- aside from the weight dropping off like crazy!