Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr david kim, colleyville, tx

Dr. Kim performed my revision this past Monday (9/27). The only true pain I had that bothered me was where my port was. Other than being nauseous, no other issues. The Gastrograffin they make you drink tasted like Lemon Pine Sol. It was not so good!! Thank goodness I took my barf bag with me, because it came up immediately. But, they got to see that I had no leaks, but had lots of reflux and swelling. They ordered some stat meds and within 30 minutes of receiving them, I felt much better.

It was hard to drink and get in enough the first day, but it is getting easier and easier. I stayed an extra night (two nights) total just because of my occasional nauseau and plus I live 5 hours away. They had no problem with that whatsoever!! Besides Dr. Kim coming to check on me the following day, I had 3 other docs/pa's checking in on my all throughout each day. I was very impressed with that (especially since I work in a hospital and most docs only make it once every 24 hours). They want you up and walking the hallway at least every two hours. I escaped by getting a wheel chair ride to radiology due to my nausea. But, like I said, after I got the magic cocktail and felt good, I was up and walking with no problem. Andrea was my night nurse and she is FANTASTIC!!! From my weigh in they took right before surgery until I got out, I seven pounds. It has to all be from fluids as there was no food consumption whatsoever! So, don't expect to lose while you are in the hospital!!

I have doubled my intake today over what I consumed yesterday. Cold, cold Water is my best friend and taste awesome right now. I am also consuming the Optifast shakes. I could only get one in yesterday over about a 2 1/2 hour period, but today has been at maximum an hour....I am on my 3rd shake now. I haven't had any pain meds since leaving the hospital. Just soreness which is felt only when you try to get up or twist the wrong way.

Yes, I would highly recommend Dr. Kim. I believe he did a total of about 6 surgeries on my day. I got moved up before one patient because she just mentioned she had some syncopal episodes in the past 8 months.....so they wanted clearance from her cardiologist before moving on with the surgery. I was impressed with their cautiousness.

I truly feel I could do about 60% of my normal routine right now, but am taking it slow.

You will be impressed with Dr. Kim and the hospital staff. No regrets on my part!!

Good luck!!!!

I am Getting my sleeve next Tuesday, March 22 by Dr Kim. I am on day 10 of the pre-op. I am so ready! I too will be having my surgery at Forest Park. I love Dr Kim. I started my journey with him 4 years ago - wanted Lap Band but my insurance denied me. Went again 18 months ago because my insurance approved Centers od Excellence. Had the physc evaluate, nutrition visit and 6 months of weight loss classes only to find out my insurance still denied surgery with Dr Kim because he wasn't on THEIR Center of Excellence list. I could have gone to one of their doctors in Dallas and may have checked it out but at that time my husband was diagnosed with cancer and everything for me went on hold.

This time I am going back to Dr Kim as a self pay patient. I have such trust in him and his staff that this was the only way for me.

Counting down the days until I can Live Life Again.

I would love to hear how you have done with your sleeve. If you would like to share with me my email address is mtrivett@sbcglobal.net

I forgot to say that I changed my mind from lap band to sleeve - it just makes much more sense to me.

I was sleeved by Dr. Kim on 01/17/11, he was great and his staff was great too. I have recomended a few friends to Dr. Kim and even my husband. If I had to do this process over again I would go with Dr. Kim again. I felt very safe, he also took every precaution necessary. I have lost 54LBS so far. I have had to call the office afterhours twice, and they responded promptly.

You will be in good hands.

Good Luck.

Thank you so much. I feel I am in good hands. Do you go to the support group that he offers.

Can you tell me more about the "Center of Excellence" issue? I got my surgery date with Dr Kim but was told my insurance required a Center of Excellence and that I would have to do my surgery in Decatur. Decatur??? I didn't know Dr Kim did surgery in Decatur. Did I get shuffled to another surgeon without my knowing it???

My PCP, when I told her I was doing this and was traveling home to Texas, her only advice was, "Make sure it is a center of excellence", so I did. Here is a link. I hope it helps. I know it's a big deal.

http://www.wlslifestyles.com/cached/_downloads/2120/What%20Does%20it%20Take%20to%20Be%20a%20Bariatric%20Surgery%20Center%20of%20Excellence_main.pdf

Can you tell me more about the "Center of Excellence" issue? I got my surgery date with Dr Kim but was told my insurance required a Center of Excellence and that I would have to do my surgery in Decatur. Decatur??? I didn't know Dr Kim did surgery in Decatur. Did I get shuffled to another surgeon without my knowing it???

Hi,

I'm scheduled to be sleeved by Dr. Kim on Monday and I was told that our insurance providers select the hospital for the procedure within their own network. When I went to University, the RN told a couple of people who were insured with CIGNA and/or BCBS that their surgery will be held in Decatur because that's what their insurance required. To ease your mind, Dr. Kim well perform your sleeve even though we'll be in Decatur. I'm insured with Aetna and my procedure will take place at Forest Park Medical in Dallas. Hope this helped!!!

Good luck!

T