Jump to content
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!


LAP-BAND Patients
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Marti

  1. Marti

    Sunbating and scars

    My scars practically disappeared the more tan I got.
  2. Marti

    I wake up nauseated?

    I am 6 weeks post op and have been nauseous for 4 weeks. I didn't want to eat or drink anything so I wasn't getting in my water. I went to the doctor yesterday and he said our bodies are trying to get rid of years of built up toxins - this makes us nauseous and not drinking my water was just compounding the problem. He said I need to make sure to get my water in to flush out the toxins and I would start to feel better. Makes sense.
  3. I am 4 weeks out and I have no desire to eat or drink anything. Nothing tastes good.. I feel sick to my stomach most of the time. I am getting a little worried that I can't find anything I like to drink. I don't want to get dehydrated.
  4. There is a pill you can take instead of drinking the liquid. Ask your doctor about that. I have two friends who did it that way.
  5. My doctor told me that it could because that incision is where they removed the stomach and depending on the size or trouble they had getting the stomach out I could be sore for awhile.
  6. I am on day 6 - my problem is I feel like I've been kicked by a mule on my left side today. No incision pain though. I was sleeved at Forest Park on Tuesday. Anyone have a bruised ribs kind of feeling? I laid on my right side for a while yesterday and I'm afraid I shouldn't have.
  7. Are either of you having surgery tomorrow in Dallas? Mine is at Forest Park Medical tomorrow
  8. Hi curvy8, mine is tomorrow as well. We have already committed to this process and just think how you will feel next week when you step on the scale! I'm excited!,,,, good luck tomorrow
  9. Sychadelic- best wishes. I will probably not sleep tonight- sleeved tomorrow
  10. I am on my 11th day of full liquid Protein pre-op diet and I have no energy. I am getting in 54 to 68 Proteins and I am drinking my Water. Did anyone else have this fatique? My surgery date is next Tuesday and I am worried if I feel this tired now I will be super tired after my surgery. Too tired to breathe!
  11. Legal, thanks for the suggestion. My surgery is tomorrow so I am afraid to try that so close. But if this continues afterward I will certainly try this. Thank you for the well wishes-I AM READY!!!
  12. Hi Heather - my surgery date is the same as yours - March 22 and I plan on going back to work the following Monday. I sure hope I feel up to it but if I don't I will take a few more days off. Good Luck to you next Tuesday I'm going back after a week. I'm determined that I will be ok.
  13. Marti

    Where are the 50s ???

    Hi - I am 57, 58 in June and I will be sleeved next Tuesday. I am very excited. Only wish I could have done this when I was younger!
  14. I am so glad you are having this surgery now at your age. I am 57 and am getting sleeved next week. I fill I have wasted 30 years being obese - I only wish I had this tool when I was younger. Best of luck to you.
  15. Marti

    Surgery story

    Krista, thank you so much for posting your experience. My surgery date is next Tuesday and this helps me know what to expect. Good luck and I look forward to your future postings. Marti Hello all, I got through my surgery and 2 weeks of recovery just fine. I thought I would post a detailed description of how it went because I know how apprehensive I was about the whole thing, and I really wanted to know exactly what to expect. February 23 was the date of my surgery. I was having the gastric sleeve procedure, a hernia repair, and my gall bladder removed. I had these procedures done in Downers Grove, IL by Dr. Rosen. I had to arrive at the hospital at 5:00 am. They weighed me and put me in a room where I was asked to put on the hospital gown and get in the hospital bed. They then put an IV in my hand and put the compression stockings on my legs. I was given a couple of shots (I'm not entirely sure what they were for). Every time a nurse stopped in I had to repeat my name and date of birth and they had to check my wrist band. All this happened over the course of 2 hours. I was allowed to have one person in the room with me and we pretty much just chatted in the in between times of the nurses visits. At about 6:45 am the surgeon stopped by to review the procedures we were doing. I also met with the anesteologist. My surgery was scheduled for 7:00 am, and at about 7:05 am they started to wheel me to the operating room. I did make them stop at the bathroom because I was nervous and really felt the need to go one last time. Up until this point, I had been very calm and at peace with my decision. My heart rate had been right around 65 the whole time. But now I was extremely nervous. They wheeled the bed through what felt like 20 different corridors. We arrived in the operating room. It was COLD and smelled funny. They had me move to the bed they would be doing the surgery on. I lay there and looked up at these 3 huge lights (reminded me of old movies where the police were interrogating you and they had that big bright light in your face) and I started to really freak out. I kept thinking that this was going to be the last place I would ever see (I was so nervous about the idea of dying that the night before I wrote goodbye letters to all my friends and family). I started to cry and the nurses and doctors tried to comfort me, but I can't say it really worked. I would say that they knocked me out within about 2 minutes of when I started crying. The next thing I remember is waking up in a considerable amount of pain. I believe it was around 10:30 am. The nurse wanted to know my level of pain on a scale of 1-10. I told her 6-7. I also told her I had to go to the bathroom. It was horrifically painful to have them lift my hips to put the bedpan under me, and in the end, I couldn't go anyway. I stayed in the recovery area for 3 hours because they didn't have any regular rooms ready. For the most of the time I slept and the pain medication kicked in, so I didn't feel so crappy. Finally, at about 1:00 pm, I was taken to my room. I again pretty much slept and i would say that with the morphine, my pain was about a 2. I didn't feel bloated from gas. My biggest problem was a constant need to pee... major inflamation due to the catheter. In fact, the need to pee was so overwhelming that by 4:00 pm, I forced myself to get out of bed and try to go to the bathroom again. Getting out of the bed was incredibly painful. As long as I was not moving in bed, I felt fine, but getting out of bed hurt! I became incredibly nauseous when I sat up and I told them I needed a bucket in case I puked while on the toilet. I dry heaved a couple of times (that hurt like a mother!). They put something in my IV to get rid of the nausea, and I never experienced it again. I still wasn't able to go to the bathroom, but as long as I was up, they had me walk a lap. I pretty much had to get up every hour from that point on to try and use the bathroom. Most of the time, I would also walk a lap. I should add, that they put some blue dye in the ice chips so that when I was able to pee, it was bright green. The blue dye helps them make sure you have no leaks. If there is a leak, the blood in the drain would turn purple. If there is no leak, then your pee will be green. Around 5:30 pm, I went to radiology where they made me drink something that really left me feeling like I might hurl. After I got that down, I had to do the barrium drink. That wasn't as gross. The cool thing was that I could see the screen so I could watch the Fluid move down my throat and into my stomach. I was down there for about 10 minutes and then it was back up to my room. At 10 pm the nurse came in to tell me I had to give myself my first heprin shot (my dr. requires all patients to give themselves 3 shots of heprin a day for 2 weeks following surgery). The idea of injecting myself with something really freaked me out, but I knew I had to do it or they wouldn't release me from the hospital. I had to give myself the shot in either my thigh or my stomach. I did the thigh. It took me a while to work up the nerve to put the needle in my leg, but I did it. It wasn't really painful and I would say that by day 3 after surgery, it was no big deal to do anymore. They also checked by blood sugar level which was 159! This completely freaked me out because one of the big reasons I wanted this surgery was to prevent diabetes, which runs heavily in my family. Because the blood sugar level was so high, I had to get a insulin shot. They had to check the sugar level every 6 hours after that. The next time they checked it was 139 and the time after that it was 88. They told me that sometimes surgery causes your blood sugar levels to spike, but it will usually drop back down to where it should be by the next day. That night I had to sleep with some tubing below my nose because the sleep study showed I have low oxygenation in my blood when I sleep. This thing was to monitor that. A buzzer would sound if the oxygen level dropped below 90. So, every single time I would fall asleep or start to drift off, this annoying buzzer would start ringing and I would have to call the nurse to get it turned off. At 3 am I finally asked what the purpose of this was, other than making sure I didn't sleep a wink the entire night. I was even more irritated about the whole thing when she told me the buzzer didn't sound out at the nurses station. The only place it rang was in my room. I made enough of a stink about the whole thing that they changed the tubing so it was putting out oxygen and would keep the stupid alarm from ringing the second I started to sleep. I don't think I slept after that because I was awake every time a nurse came in to check a vital or give me a shot. I will say, expect to be woken up at least every 2-3 hours. The next day, they took me off the morphine and gave me a form of vicodin as a pain killer. I continued walking every hour (and going to the bathroom). The surgeon stopped by around 8:00am to check on me. He said that since I had been up moving around so much and I was doing quite well, that he was going to have them release me around 2pm (provided I could drink 4 oz of Water every hour with no problem). I had no problem with this and was ready to go, but my nurse was so ditzy that it was after 4:30 by the time I was finally released. Before I could go, they had to remove the drain, which I was really nervous about. She assured me it wouldn't hurt, but would be more uncomfortable feeling than anything. I was still braced for serious pain because friends had told me it hurt a lot. However, when she pulled it out, it really wasn't painful. It was more of a bizzare feeling because you can feel that tubing snaking around your internal organs. I think because it was only in there for a day, the skin hadn't grown around it so there was no pain. I went home. The next 4 days, I was stiff and sore. I continued taking the liquid vicodin type medicine and my pain levels were around a 2. sleeping was difficult. I slept on the couch with my back propped way up so I could be in an almost sitting position. By day 5, I stopped taking the pain medication except for at night. By day 7, I quit the pain medication all together and was able to resume driving. If I had had to, I probably could have resumed working, but I was still very easily exhausted. I took a full 2 weeks off of work because I didn't want to have to give myself injections at work. Overall, I felt like the surgery was far easier than I had expected. The only hard part was getting in & out of bed & moving position, but the more you force yourself to do it, the easier it gets. I haven't had any problems with throwing up or anything like that. Relearning how to eat has been a struggle and is my biggest focus right now. I hope this long and detailed (and in some cases TMI) story is helpful to those of you with this surgery in your future. Krista
  16. Marti

    2 days ppst-op

    Congratulations and good luck in the days to come. I will be sleeved next Tuesday and can't think of anything else!!!!
  17. Marti

    2 days ppst-op

    Congratulations and good luck in the days to come. I will be sleeved next Tuesday and can't think of anything else!!!!
  18. Marti

    Sleeved 6 hrs ago

    I am so happy to hear how well you all are doing. I am getting sleeved next Tuesday and can't think of anything else. I hope I do as well as you. Take care
  19. Marti

    post op

    My surgery date is next week(March 22) and I have been on a pre-op full liquid diet for 11 days now. I was finding it hard to get my Proteins in and I too was feeling very fatigued. My daughter told me about the isopure drinks and let me taste one of hers- Apple Melon- i didn't like it at all but having 40 gr of Protein I decided to check into it further. My local GNC sells it by the bottle so I purchased 4 other flavors. I love the Grape and Mango Peach. I haven't tried the others yet. I am feeling better now that I am getting more protein- just hoping I still like it after my surgery I love getting most of my proteins down with 1 drink.
  20. Marti

    Dr david kim, colleyville, tx

    Thank you so much. I feel I am in good hands. Do you go to the support group that he offers.
  21. Marti

    Dr david kim, colleyville, tx

    I forgot to say that I changed my mind from lap band to sleeve - it just makes much more sense to me.
  22. Marti

    Dr david kim, colleyville, tx

    I am Getting my sleeve next Tuesday, March 22 by Dr Kim. I am on day 10 of the pre-op. I am so ready! I too will be having my surgery at Forest Park. I love Dr Kim. I started my journey with him 4 years ago - wanted Lap Band but my insurance denied me. Went again 18 months ago because my insurance approved Centers od Excellence. Had the physc evaluate, nutrition visit and 6 months of weight loss classes only to find out my insurance still denied surgery with Dr Kim because he wasn't on THEIR Center of Excellence list. I could have gone to one of their doctors in Dallas and may have checked it out but at that time my husband was diagnosed with cancer and everything for me went on hold. This time I am going back to Dr Kim as a self pay patient. I have such trust in him and his staff that this was the only way for me. Counting down the days until I can Live Life Again. I would love to hear how you have done with your sleeve. If you would like to share with me my email address is mtrivett@sbcglobal.net
  23. Day 2 for me. Have read to eat lots of sugar-free Jello so I'm doing that and it helps.

PatchAid Vitamin Patches