Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair today Hair tomarrow

Hay girls, maybe this may be the answer to the the thinning hair after surgery. I work for a Dentist and the otherday I had a patient that just went thru chemo therapy. All her hair was gone thru the process. Someone told her to get that Shampoo that is for horses, and people. It is made to give horses a fuller mane, shine, etc. My patient swears by it, her hair came back in no time at all, thick and beautiful. I have not had my surgery yet but what the heck, I will be trying anything to keep my locks if you know what I mean. Good luck to all of you, and me. Vicki:thumbup:

I could have sworn that in another thread someone said they use mane and tail Shampoo and conditioner.

I am getting close to two months post op and am just waiting for the hair to start dropping.

It probably has a ton of Protein in it to help keep your hair healthy, but your hair falls out because of the "trauma" to your body during surgery and cannot be kept because you use the horse Shampoo. kwim? Your hair goes into the 'dormant' stage and finally falls out at some point. Same concept when pregnant..which is why it feels so thick while pregnant than falls out after giving birth.

Not everyone is the same, so some people's bodies don't react the same to the surgery and their hair is not affected.

I know after chemo some people have different Hair growth patterns, etc... My uncle had thinning grey hair before having chemo and then grew a thick brown curly main after.

Tempted to call BS on that one. If this really worked, Rogaine wouldn't have a market. And you can't really grow hair during chemo - chemo kills rapidly dividing cells in your body (aimed at cancer cells, but this includes hair cells as a side effect). Once you go off of chemo, you'll start growing hair again, horse Shampoo or not.

I don't know if this will help anyone but I was told in one of my classes for my WLS that you can take at least 25mg Biotin to lessen the chance of your hair falling out well my hair is thin to begin with so I went to Walgreens and bought 1000mg for about $6 and take one a day my hair feels like it is getting thicker since i've been on the Biotin. Hope this helps!

I've been taking Biotin as well, even though I'm pre-surgery, in hopes that it helps. We'll see, I think everyone is different and for some loss is just unavoidable.

I've been taking Biotin since a month pre surgery, and making sure I get all my protein..... I'm just coming up for 4 months and my hair is coming out now quicker than normal.... same as it did when I had some surgery 4 yrs back.....

Surgery is a trauma our body can't cope with......the Protein will help, the biotin has certainly made my nails grow stronger than ever before.... but its not helped my hair.

hair is going to fall out. No matter what you do or do not do, it's going to happen. You can do things to help with regrowth and decrease breakage, but nothing is going to save the hair.< /span>

I've posted these links below countless times on here, and it's documented that surgery, drastic diet change, and general anesthesia can cause Hair loss after major surgery.

I even lost hair after my gallbladder was removed in February.

The good news is that the hair grows back.

Telogen Effluvium: eMedicine Dermatology

Telogen Effluvium Hair Loss

Nothing is going to stop it from happening. It might not be as severe as others, it may last longer than the normal 3 months, it may not last that long, but it's pretty inevitable.

I had chemo in 2005 and about half of my hair fell out. I have thin hair to begin with and it's blonde, so it looked terrible and I cut it short. It came back VERY slowly and then about a year ago I began using a Shampoo and conditioner with Emu Oil in it. It seemed to thicken it up quite a bit. But like every before me has said, if it's going to fall out, there's no way you can stop it. There's no Vitamin or mineral or shampoo that will stop it. I stocked up on Toni Pony's - hair clips, combs, falls, etc. I wore them for nearly 2 years until I felt like my hair was normal again. Now that I feel like I have beautiful hair again, I'm getting sleeved in 3 weeks. Here we go again...it sucked losing it the first time and I dread going through it again.