Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So here I am, 7 days post-op and staring at the 1/8th cup of Soup that I couldn't even finish, and still full to the gills 2 hours later.

I think I'm frustrated because I don't understand exactly how much I'm supposed to be able to eat right now, or later on. My boyfriend had bypass surgery 2 years ago and eats kid-sized portions- obviously I'm not expecting to do that within a week of my op, but how long does it take to get there?

Can anyone give me a sort of breakdown or timeline of what you were eating and how much for the first month or two? Is a meal of 3 spoonfuls that keeps me stuffed for hours normal at this point? & how long will it be that way?

Would really appreciate hearing other experiences on this!

Congrats on your sleeve!

It sounds pretty normal to me.... I'm 3.5months out and can eat 4oz cottage cheese in one sitting, but nothing else.

If I take my time and eat really slowly then I can spread my meal out and eat a little more, but not much more.

It took me a while to get used to the tiny portions I could manage... and I often amazed myself by feeling full way sooner than I thought I would on such small amounts. But I still have great restriction.

Don't rush to eat..... listen to your body and let the sleeve work for you... and then watch the results.

Good luck.

I started off the same way and now six weeks out i can finish a half a can of Soup or 3/4 of a small taco or burrito. The drinking has gotten easier also. I can sit and drink rather normally now. It depends on the food I am eating as to how much I can eat. I am not hungry in between meals now though. I was eating half as much at each sitting but I was getting hungry every 3 hours, now i finish a bit more but have no desire to snack etc.

I find though the more i exercise the hungrier I am...so that is a double edged sword lol.

One thing I've learned on this journey is not to be too hard on myself. I had my list of things to do post surgery (get in Protein, Water, Vitamins, etc.) and wanted to be the perfect patient and just couldn't do it. I was so hard on myself, and it was depressing. Our bodies are adjusting and eventually we will be able to drink and eat more with each new day. So now I'm taking it one day at a time :) So take this time to rest and heal :) I know WE WILL get there!

thanks sleeve, you're totally right. It's so frustrating at first! I've been feeling really tired and weak and I know it's because I can't seem to get enough nutrients in me. Working on it of course, but I feel sick after everything I "eat." ugh.

hoping things will improve once i move to mushies next week. though I'm scared I won't be able to get those down either!

I am 3 mths out and the first month is hard. Dont let it get u down. I remember the queesy feeling after eating and feeling like there is just nothing to eat during mushies. Just focus on the basics and you will get through it. be prepared for your stall at 3 weeks then things start improving when you can eat full solids. At just over 1.5 months you and your body start to figure things out.

Progress! Managed to eat a little cottage cheese and NO queasiness after! I practically threw myself a parade hah. I'm thinking this is a good sign toward mushies? Feeling a lot stronger today, likely due to yogurt and cheese. I also tried these 42g Protein shooter things and I think that helped a LOT, but oh god it was *awful* getting (and keeping) that down. Any suggestions for less offensive tasting protein? I'm trying to get as much in as possible but obviously it's quite a task. Help!