Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Magnesium citrate may be TMI

Any one else have to take 2 bottles of Magnesium citrate the day before their surgery??? I have never taken it but I have been told by other that one bottle will seariously clean you out! So two kinda scares me! :scared0:

I was suposed to pick some one up at the air port that day and I think I am kinda scared to leave the house. I mean all I will have in me is protien shakes and lettuce for 10 days prior, and I have been told that when you drink it, when you feel you have to go then there is no waiting you have to go right then and there better be a bathroom near by!!!!:bored0:

If there is any one out there with experience on weather I will be able to leave the house or if I need to fine some one to pick the person up so that I can stay leashed to the toilet I would greatly apreciate the feed back so I can do the plaing ahead of time. Thanks

I had to take it before a different surgery and I had to drink a specific amount every hour. I found that within 5 -10 mins of drinking it I had to go to the washroom. Then I would wait for the next hour and take the next amount and then within 5 to 10 mins would go to the bathroom. As the day was getting on my tummy started to make noise and I felt that I had to go to the bathroom more often.

This was a long time ago so I do not fully remember but when I had the feeling to go I had to get to the bathroom. Probably best to see if you can arrange for someone else to pick up your friend.

Lily

If you look at the directions on the bottle the max. amount you can take in a 24 hour period is 10 oz which would be one bottle. Not sure why your surgeon would recommend you take two bottles. I would think that would be overkill.:thumbup1:

When I drank my magnesium citrate the afternoon before surgery, I had been on my pre op diet for 2 weeks and I went to the bathroom a total of two times in a six hour timeframe. I just didn't have very much to give. LOL.

Was there a time your surgeon wanted you take the magnesium? My doc wanted me to take it between 1 and 4 in the afternoon of the day before surgery.

Good luck.

Deb

Thanks for both your replies, I think I will arange for some one to pick her up at the airport since I just dont know what it will do to me!!!!

Dansha, they want me to sip on the two bottles through out the day. so I guess this is going to be an all day proess. and as for the two bottles I guess they just want me completly empty. I have an apt with him tomorrow I will have to ask why the two bottles.

I do hope that they dont expect me to have a bm before I am aloud to leave the hospital, cuz I just dont think there will be anything left at that point:wink0:

One thing they did ask was to make sure we did not take the cherry flavor as the red dye would worry the nurses and dr's :thumbup1: