Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have a REE done (Resting Energy Expenditure)??

As part of my program, I needed to have a REE done, which determine my actual metabolism. I know it's low b/c i am 1.) fat and 2.) my thyroid levels are off. But i didn't expect to be basically non-existent.

My basal metabolic rate indicates I should be burning 1500 calories a day just by living and breathing. I am burning 900. Which means if i go about my daily routine and EAT more than 900 calories, i'm in the gain zone.

SO, where do i go from here? Anyone know how to effectively increase their metabolism??

I'm assuming my Dr will call to set up an appt once they receive my results. Until then, i'm just worried once sleeved my weight loss will be terribly slow. :001_tt1:

Wow, i didn't even know you could be tested for that! I guess exercising might increase your metabolism? Did you get your bloods for thyroid function? cause if you have a lazy thyroid and you don't treat in (hormones or whatever) your weightloss will be much slower.

How do they do this test and where?

I had it done at a hospital in the same dept that does sleep studies. I needed to fast for 8 hrs so there was no artificial calorie burning. I just had to have this dome-shaped egg placed over my face w/incoming air. It creates a 'controlled environment' and measures my carbon dioxide output. I laid in a bed and the test took 10 min. Painless and easy.

The bariatric center i am using started this test on all patients starting in Jan because it helps to address factors that may have an impact on weight loss after surgery.

Edited by peatie

That is a really cool test. I want to get one, though I might freak out at the results too. It seems sooo unfair to only need 900 calories a day. How tall are you?

If you increase your muscle your metabolism will rise. Lifting weights would help.

Here's a link to wikipedia. It answers your question (assuming of course that this wikipedia entry is well researched). It is a starting point at least.

Anyone know where I can get this done in the US and an approximate cost?

That is a really cool test. I want to get one, though I might freak out at the results too. It seems sooo unfair to only need 900 calories a day. How tall are you?

If you increase your muscle your metabolism will rise. Lifting weights would help.

I'm 5'1. I know building muscle helps increase your resting metabolism, but there's gotta be something else as well to help train your body not to hold onto energy stores. My body is just overly efficient in holding onto energy.. LOL

I thought about asking my surgeon about having it done too(i suppose they do it here in Engalnd), but now I think do i really want to know>? I'm doing my best to work with the sleeve, what do you guys think??:)

if I didn't know my number, I wouldn't think to do anything about it...but now that i know, it's more imperative that i weight train or do whatever it takes to increase my metabolism to ensure i have a successful weight loss once sleeved, kwim??

My PT said I HAVE to weight train in addition to cardio to be successful, but i see a fair amt of people who don't do it and would probably fall into the category of "well if they can get away with it, then maybe i can too." Now i'm seeing that my body is mine and it may not react the way others are...so instead of doing the status quo...i need to actually DO what is required of me. Does this make sense??

The last thing i want to do is eat 800 calories whiles sleeved and wonder why the heck it's taking a MONTH to lose one pound!

I think it's proactive.

I thought about asking my surgeon about having it done too(i suppose they do it here in Engalnd), but now I think do i really want to know>? I'm doing my best to work with the sleeve, what do you guys think??:thumbdown:

I think if you're seeing the results that are anticipated for you with the sleeve, then i wouldn't worry about it. If things don't 'seem right' and you're doing everything you can to be successful, then it's just another facet to figuring out how our bodies are functioning.