Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel the same now as I did before the surgery, I feel like somethings wrong

I was sleeved last week (8/16/2010) and today I feel pretty much the same as I did before, with the exception of the staples. It feels like to me that the surgeon did not take out enough stomach when he did my surgery. I don't have the problems with drinking and eating like others do, it may just be that I have been overeating my whole life and I just feel as though I am overeating now as compared to others. I do not know I've never known what it is like to be normal and honestly I am wondering know if this will even work for me.

Edited by bonbon85

Hi bonbon, i think thats a bit strange, i've been an overeater all my life as well, tried all sorts of diets, even had a gastric balloon in a few years ago (i lost a bit but then i put on even more weight) and the sleeve is working wonders, for my hunger (don't get me wrong i do get hungry but after some Soup or a a rice cake i'm full), and physically cause i simply can't get more than a few ounces of food in (that for me was the whole idea of the sleeve in the first place!) I would ring the surgeon just to make sure everything is in place. Good luck for you!

Hello fellow Bonbon!

I'm pre surgery so I can't offer much advice but I can say from reading the boards for so long...just hang in there and see how things progress as you heal. I know many people say they don't get a "full" sensation until after they start eating more dense foods.

Hang in there and hopefully things start to change...

:-)

I was sleeved last week (8/16/2010) and today I feel pretty much the same as I did before, with the exception of the staples. It feels like to me that the surgeon did not take out enough stomach when he did my surgery. I don't have the problems with drinking and eating like others do, it may just be that I have been overeating my whole life and I just feel as though I am overeating now as compared to others. I do not know I've never known what it is like to be normal and honestly I am wondering know if this will even work for me.

You mean you could tolerate the xray swallow without a problem? You can drink 8 oz without a problem, eat more then 2-4 oz? Wow, if that is the case then there may be a big problem. . . do you have hunger pangs?

It could be that you are healing at a quicker pace than others. Also, try to remember that your stomach has just been cut, stapled off and removed. Your nerves have been severed, and you are not going to feel full. That is why measuring food portions early out is so vital in the healing process. You don't want to overeat, or eat the wrong foods just because you don't have pain. Your stomach is healing, the staple line is still fresh, and you don't food pushing on it, or things getting lodged in the staples that can then abscess, and cause a leak.

Just because you don't "feel" anything doesn't mean things aren't going on inside of your stomach.

Your body is unlike any of ours, and your stomach swelling might not be as severe. Please, use caution with eating, and remember your body has been through a traumatic event.

Do not focus on losing weight today. Focus on healing, and recovering. Drink your fluids, follow your eating plan, and do not risk damaging your sleeve. It's just not worth it.

You can be successful, and the surgery will work for you. You're a week out, and it's not a sprint for us. Endurance and patience is the key to success. We all were overeaters, we all struggled with some sort of food demon, and right now the battle begins on getting on track with good food choices, being conscious of what you put into your stomach. Do not think you will fail, and normal doesn't happen for awhile, all of this takes time, and you'll figure it out as you go.

Think of your stomach as a 1 week old infant, would you put a bunch of solid food into an infant's mouth? No, and your stomach is just as sensitive, and new as an infant's tummy. Be gentle, and slow with progression.

Tell us what you are currently eating. That way we can get an idea of what your intake has been. I was sleeved on 8/18 and I feel I'm not getting enough in. I have read that gas and heart burn pains can mask as hunger pains.

This is what my intake has been....

1 16oz bottle of Water all day

Jello cup for Breakfast takes about 1/2hr

2 to 4oz broth for lunch

2 to 4oz broth for dinner

Today I had a few spoons of very milked down cream of wheat. It was yummy.