Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

just a quick question about pre op weight loss

hey everyone im melissa im a month away from getting the sleeve, iv been going to appoints for almost 6 months, anyway i havnt been able to loose the pre op weight loss cuz i guess i suck:( im only 205-208lbs and 5"2, my last appoinment just a the monthly check up that is, the dr said i see your having trouble loosing the weight so he said he is going to book me for the sleeve so its next month but i have check up coming up in a couple days here do u think they will not let get the surg if i dont loose some weigt it already book. im scared what am i gonna say when he sees i havnt lost anything or very little agian????? am i the only one that hasnt lost the pre op weight? ya ok i agree i cheated but havnt 3 cups a day of food is hard

I guess it depends on your doctor. I didn't have to lose weight before my surgery. I only had to be on a low carb diet for 2 weeks before surgery. The point of the diet is to shrink your liver before surgery. I'm 5'3" and I was 267 before surgery and 250 surgery day. I don't see why not losing weight would make them not do the surgery. The only thing my doctor stressed was the low carb and said if I didn't do it and he got in and my liver had not shrunk he wouldn't be able to do the surgery.

Hi Melissa

How much do they want you to lose? This isn't your pre op diet is it - this is just weight they want you to shift I presume?

Ultimately it does seem a little harsh as your not far off what I was before surgery - is this insurance paid?

I would sit down and write down all the reasons why you want the surgery..... go deep in to your heart - and stick that on the fridge to help you each time you head for food.... list all the positives that will come out of the operation for you. Find your largest photo possible and add that in too......

The only person you are cheating is yourself - to have come this far and not get the surgery would be such a shame.

It does take strength, but it'll be the last 'normal' diet you do, and if you think its hard now then when they give you your pre op diet thats gonna be a lot worse - so maybe its also a test to see how you do on this to see if you'll stick to the pre op too - which is SO important.

Good luck

hey no im not on the pre o diet yet meaning liquid diet, i have a goal i have 80lbs i wanna loose and ill be at 120, im not thay big really. but the program im on he likes you to loose 20lbs pre op or around there iv had 6 months but havnt lost:( ya i really want this very bad so i hope he will still let me have it which i think he will i just hate getting in shit hehe. im sure on the lqiud diet ill shed some lbs forsure i think i have the will power to do it cuz i know if a dont there wont be a surg at the end of the week, dont you start the lquid thing a week before the surgury?

Some people do one week pre op diet, some do more.

Not sticking to the pre op diet can be a way of risking surgery altogether as if you don't shrink your liver some surgeons refuse to operate.

Others ask you to lose before you start the pre op to get you in the right frame of mind, cutting down portions as you'll have to cut them down afterwards bigtime with no choice at all.

I did Weight watchers for 7 months before my surgery and lost 21lbs easily within about 6 weeks - but you have to want to do it. You'll still be able to eat everything after surgery so forget the goodbye food parties and get exercising to shift a bit more thru cardio. You might be able to lose some before your next appointment but I just hope its enough that he says he'll go ahead with it for you.

There's a difference between losing weight during your 3/6 month supervised diet and following your pre-op diet. It sounds like Melissa is talking about her 6 month diet, not the preop diet designed to shrink the liver. I didn't loose more than a few pounds during my 6 month supervised diet and by the end had actually gained a few pounds. (I'm sure my family doc thought I was crazy.:001_rolleyes:)

Anyway, I knew this wasn't an issue for insurance approval (by my insurers guidelines), but it was a problem for my surgeon's guidelines. So, I started my preop diet early knowing that I needed to loose a few pounds or risk having my surgery cancelled. I did so well that I lost 15 pounds preop in 2 and a half weeks.

So, Melissa you will probably be fine with insurance, but may have a problem with your surgeon if you've gained. If they suggest that they might have to cancel your surgery due to weight gain, ask them for a chance to start your preop diet early to loose a few pounds before surgery. Then you can come back in to weigh before the surgery. I think most doctors will work with you on this.

And I don't think this is any indication of how successful you will be after surgery. You will just have to be aware of what you're doing and eating and you'll be fine.

My Surgeon likes you to lose 10% of your body weight before surgery. But, he won't cancel if you don't lose all of it as long as you're making the effort. He will however cancel you if you gain weight before surgery.

They started me on Phase I of the preop diet and it is low fat Protein and fruit or vegetable at every meal. Plus 2-3 servings of dairy daily. 64 Oz Water. No Carbs at all from grains or processed foods. I'll be on this diet until I start my 2 weeks of liquids for phase II of the preop diet.

So far in 3 days I have lost more than I did on 6 months of weight watchers.

Good luck to you and Keep us posted.

I guess it depends on your doctor. I didn't have to lose weight before my surgery. I only had to be on a low carb diet for 2 weeks before surgery. The point of the diet is to shrink your liver before surgery. I'm 5'3" and I was 267 before surgery and 250 surgery day. I don't see why not losing weight would make them not do the surgery. The only thing my doctor stressed was the low carb and said if I didn't do it and he got in and my liver had not shrunk he wouldn't be able to do the surgery.

That was my experience too. For goodness sake we need this op because we cannot lose weight without it!! Your doctor sounds a bit cruel. :)

Jane x