Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi guys a little help if possible

guys if you all could help it would be amazing if you could answer my questions individually so i can get a wide inset into peoples opinions, feed back, criticisms and knowledge

ill give you my background

im 21 years of age,im 21 stone (294 pounds) iv been going to my obesity clinic for up-to 4 years now, in which my weight has increased over the years. im currently in the early stages of surgery, having regular trips to the dietitian, to see the dr, and this week im going to see a respiratory doctor.iv still got to have a "sleep test" and have to attend regular concealing sessions, iv been told my ill be waiting till early nexy year before surgery my questions are:

* How many more appointments will i have before surgery

* Is all these appointments necessary

* How are your emotions pre and post op

* How long till you are up on your feet again

* Is there a limit what i could loose

* Does your mindset change post op

* How long did it take to adapt yourself to new eating habits

* Does the NHS have much to do with yourselves post op

sorry about asking these questions, i seem to not get a straight answer when i go to the hospital. if you could help i would be so thankful

thank you people

Dayle

Hi, Dayle! I'll try to answer some of your questions the best I can:

* How many more appointments will i have before surgery

Hard telling... hopefully someone in England (assuming that's where you are, since you gave weights in "stone"?) who's gone through this can answer you. Here in the states, I self-paid so didn't have to jump through insurance hoops, and I saw the surgeon twice before surgery, and my regular doctor once for some pre-op testing and a physical.

Well, same answer, for the first part. Here, it's all about making sure you're doing this for the right reasons, you're mentally and physically ready for it and healthy enough to go through the surgery.

Literally on your feet? A couple of hours at most. I was out grocery shopping 3 days afterward and at one week out, unless I poked my biggest scar, I couldn't feel that I'd had anything done. I returned to a fairly physical job at 10 days out.

Nope, not if you work it right! The sleeve won't do the work FOR you, but it'll make it possible for the first time ever for YOU to do the work. I've seen lots of people on forums who've lost over 200 lbs and gotten to goal, and many many people who have gone well below their original goal weight.

Absolutely, once you realize how very little food it takes to make you feel full, and that you not only feel full but satisfied with what you've eaten. It's something that's impossible to understand before surgery. And, when you see that scale continue to move closer and closer to where you want to be, you start to really believe that you're gonna make it and that motivates you to keep on working it! You'll still want, and treat yourself to, little goodies here and there, but it's the difference between having a cookie every few days and having an entire package of Cookies after dinner every night. Or having a few pieces of sweet & sour chicken vs. having an entire quart of it plus fried rice and an eggroll... know what I mean? And you aren't completely consumed by thoughts of food, and wondering what your next snack or meal will be before you're even finished with the current one. Many people have no hunger, and most of us have very little, and sometimes you have to remind yourself that you need to be eating more. It's really amazing. :)

No time at all...in the beginning it's difficult to get in as much Protein and Water as you're supposed to, but it gets easier and easier. If you're on a couple of weeks of liquids like most people, that gets damn boring, but at least for me it didn't take long to get into a groove and then to adapt to each phase of re-introducing foods. It does take some time to realize how little you can eat, and stop putting too much feel on a plate though!

Can't help you with that one either. My surgeon sees patients at one week, one month, three months, and every three months after that.

Here's something else I want you to know: I believe so much in this procedure, and have so much faith in it's relatively low complication rate, that I would love for my own 21-year old son to have it. He has aspirations of joining the Marines though, and he wouldn't be allowed in if he had WLS. Unfortunately, he is not shaping up enough on his own to even enlist now (which secretly makes me very relieved). Anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to fully support him if he ever did make the decision to get a sleeve himself. :) Good luck!

Hi Dale, and congrats on getting the ball rolling with your pre-op stuff.

* How many more appointments will i have before surgery - I can't help you there, but I would contact Jane_J here on the forum. She's in the UK, and I think she is familiar with NHS. Here is her profile Link: Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery (VSG) Forum - View Profile: Jane_J

* Is all these appointments necessary It depends. Every program is different, every surgeon has different requirements. I had a lot of pre-op testing, but no sleep study. A lot of appts with a nutritionist and 2 psych evals. It's all about the type of program offered, and some is completely related to insurance requirements.

* How are your emotions pre and post op I was fine pre-op. I had a band first, and it was misery. I was so ready to get it out of my body that I was elated when surgery date rolled around. Post-op, as a woman, I was a raging lunatic some days emotionally. I hated everyone then I'd love everyone in the next minute. When we drop weight fast, all the estrogen that is stored in our fat cells releases into our system. We can get a little batcrazy. But, it gets better LOL.

* How long till you are up on your feet again I didn't have a typical recovery due to me being a revision patient and complications.

* Is there a limit what i could lose Yes, if you don't change your eating habits, and continually make unhealthy, fatty, carb loaded choices, then you can limit your own success. The sleeve only does so much. It's our responsibility to make the necessary changes for a lifetime success.

* Does your mindset change post op Yes, my entire relationship with food has changed. My core personality has not changed. I was confident, outgoing when I was fat. I enjoy a life without limitations that are related to obesity. But, for the most part, I am the same woman I was 150lbs heavier.

* How long did it take to adapt yourself to new eating habits not long, the fact that I lost all of my hunger made it pretty simple to be honest. I actually had to set alerts on my IPhone to remind me to eat every few hours or I'd go all day and not eat. I still do it occasionally on accident.

* Does the NHS have much to do with yourselves post op Sorry, I can't help you with this one either.

Best wishes with your appointments. Be patients, it's really a fabulous surgery, and stay positive. Keep us all updated on your progress.

You have been given very good advice. Everyone's story is a bit different, but in the end, it's the best procedure. If you follow the doctor's orders, you will be fine. The hunger is relieved with this procedure, for most patients. So you will not be battling with food as before. You will get to enjoy all the flavors of all your favorite foods, but only in smaller in amounts than before. Best of luck to you Mr. Brickwood

Hi there

Theres some good advice there.....I'll see if I can add anything:

How many more appointments will i have before surgery

- The amount of appts will be peculiar to the NHS so if you can find someone who has gotten it via them then thats your best bet - there is a UK part of the forum where you might find others as well as Jane going thru it... also many people lurk in the backgroudn rather than post so your question might evoke private messages relating to it.

If the NHS are footing the bill then I'd say yes - you have to be seen to be making the effort to do your part in the system as well. If you can go private then I did here in Spain (as an ExPat) and I had a first consult to talk things thru before making my decision who to go with, then having made the choice I did my pre op tests and met again with the surgeon before the op. Both times I saw the nutritionist and the shrink as well.

* How are your emotions pre and post op

Pre op - Scared, concerned, busy saying goodbye to foods you think you'll never eat again (but will!) trying to convince yourself that you should be able to do this on your own when you see how much weight others loose on the pre op diet.

The pre op diet is hard..... you'll be hungry and I'd advise secluding yourself as much as possible to avoid temptation as its an important part to stick to to shrink your liver and to get yourself into as best shape for the op as possible - it also shows the Dr your commitment to change. Pre op try and get yourself into the mind set of smaller portions, not drinking with meals,sipping Water all day long.

Post op - the first 48hrs were the worst for me theres a little bit of what have I done... but I think that is normal.... but after that when you get home its fine. I was scared to drink in hospital for the leak tests... scared to take my first pill even cut in half... had slight discomfort rather than pain but I have a high pain threshold.

2 weeks on seeing the drop in my weight boosts me 100% - I only wish I'd done it sooner.

Like others have said I was up and walking the same day in the afternoon. I have walked every day but the first 7 days for me there was a huge lack of energy. I would say if I had to work that I would have been comfortable taking 2 weeks off to get my head around the drinking all day thing and now 2 weeks out I feel normal - the odd twinge but nothing bad.

Your Surgeon will give you a ball park figure of what to expect, theres some on here that mould their diets to shift the weight as quick as possible while others take a more leisurely route. You will find a healthier eating plan will give the best results.

Yes. I was obsessed with food 24/7. During my pre op I managed to get into the right place where I knew I had to stick to it... I went out for meals with others and only stuck to my liquids. Post op whereas I used to have huge portions now the thought of even contemplating a chicken breast is scary! I no longer feel hungry and I'm sure when i move onto mushies and normal food that'll lessen even more. Its like someone has waved a magic wand for me.

Can't really say as I'm not yet onto mushies... but it'll sound weird when I say you have no choice but to listen to your body - you can't eat large portions. The not drinking when eating thing will be the hardest thing for me to cope with.

No idea.....but I would imagine as they have a vested interest then they'd have a few post op visits.

Good luck - I don't think its a decision you'll ever regret!

Kathy