Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you lose weight before your first fill?

Did you lose weight between surgery and your first fill?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you lose weight between surgery and your first fill?

• No, I gained some weight
    • No, my weight stayed the same
    • Yes (15 pounds or less)
    • Yes (15.1 to 30 pounds)
    • Yes (more than 30 pounds)

I have lost 42 lbs - I don't have my first fill till 26 April - 5 months after my op - that's the NHS in the UK for you!

Yvonne

x

See you people... that had restriction without a fill and lost weight are sooooo lucky! I know that some of you are "RULE FOLLOWERS" (no meaness intended) but it's 100% easier to follow the rules with restriction.

But don't you (you means anyone) think much of the weight loss prior to the first fill is related to the pre-op and post-op diets of Clear liquids?

My doctor never used strict diets, either pre-op or post-op. I was on apple sauce and cream of wheat while in the hospital, before I was released. This has me thinking my weight loss during this period will not be as drastic as some others' here. I will be interested to see if I lose much weight by the time of my first fill (I'm not weighing myself until then - I lose slow and don't want to be discouraged).

On the other hand, I do feel restriction, 2 weeks post-op, without a fill. Whether it physiological or psychological, I am not nearly as hungry as I was pre-op.

Several people report major weight loss without a fill, which I'm not understanding at all.

I asked my surgeon about this at my first post-op appointment. He said that he believes those who keep losing (months and months after surgery, for example) but have had no fills, simply have bands that are too tight to begin with. He thinks this is a bad thing, since there's no real fix for an unfilled band that is too tight (except to remove it).

I lost 30 pounds the first month, didnt start exercising, going off plan,,so I've only lost 5 more. I had my first fill April 12th and had lost a total of 35 pounds in all since surgery Jan 29th. AM i disappointed in my weight loss so far? NO,,only in myself for straying off my food plan and not exercising. I feel restriction after my fill and am back on track. One day at a time.

Deb

Banded 1/29/07

Dr Ken Cleveland-CMMC-Jackson, MS

after surgery to my first fill (which was yesterday) i gained 4.5lbs. :angry

i'm hoping SO HARD that my fill gives me restriction. after i could eat solids again, i was starving all the time... exactly like i was before being banded. sometimes i would eat, and then cry because i was so frustrated... worried i made a mistake getting banded.

i'm on liquids for 3 days, so i should have an idea by tuesday if this fill helped. eep! :phanvan

Hi Cashley, I know what you mean, I am 12 days post surgery and I can eat whatever I want. Five days ago I thought I broke my stomach and was eating under 1,000 calaries a day and now nothing.

I am going to call the clinic tomorrow and see if I can schedule my fill for an earlier day.

I lost 20 pounds within I think it was 2 weeks but slowly gained with be able to eat again... The scale is anywhere from 10-15 pounds lost. surgery was feb 23rd first fill was April 5th really no restriction 1.5 cc in 4cc band.

I will be 4 weeks tomorrow and am down between 24-27 lbs depending on the day. I have noticed that I need to cut back again on the carbs (lots of potatoes lately).

I was banded 02/19/07 and have lost 55 lbs so far without a fill (04/16/07).

I have a 10 cc band and don't feel any significant restriction...I can still eat pretty much anything I want so I don't think too small of a band is the cause. WHat I have experienced is a decrease in appetite. I still get hungry but it's not that ravenous "kill and eat the bloody carcass" hunger I had before. It's manageble now. I guess the band must be doing something with the vagus nerve to decrease the hunger.

I had surgury on the 25th day of September 2005. I have lost a total of 85 pounds, reached my goal weight and I have never had to have a fill. I am going to be getting my first fill in a couple of weeks, just so I can maintain.:)

Look at my ticker...that should say it all...lol. I was banded March 22, 2007.

I get my first fill May 7.:)

Hi, I was banded 25th Feb, Had some restriction first couple of weeks post op, now don,t have any restriction. I am really trying to be good, but find that i can eat like i did pre op. I get my first fill on Monday, I really hope that this will make a difference and i can start to lose the weight.:faint:

I think this issue also has to do with *why* you eat. I can see why those got big because of hunger might continue to struggle a bit before the first fill. There are many of us who aren't in that category though. In my case, my fatness has very little to do with actual physical hunger. I am an emotional eater. food was an easy and convenient way to deal with stress, depression, anger, etc. Once I got banded, food wasn't convenient anymore, and it sure wasn't easy. In fact, for the first month or so, eating was a pain in the butt more than anything else. I lost about 30 pounds in the first month after surgery.