Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those of you who didn't tell ppl about your surgery....

Do you notice that people have treated you differently?

Like...do you notice sales people looking you in the eye more?

Or getting preferential treatment from strangers?

Or your friends no longer wanting to hang out with you?

Do you notice that people have treated you differently? YES, THEY ARE NICER

Like...do you notice sales people looking you in the eye more? YES

Or getting preferential treatment from strangers? I HAVE BEEN WAITED ON BEFORE SOMEONE WHO IS HEAVY. I TOLD THEM SHE WAS HERE BEFORE ME!

Or your friends no longer wanting to hang out with you? NO, FRIENDS HAVE BEEN GREAT

I was banded in January and have lost over 50 lbs. I just went home to Ct this past weekend ... my family and friends didn't know about the surgery. Everyone was thrilled to see me and how much weight I lost. The only one I told about the surgery was my brother... he was HUGE! I thought I would share my success with him so he would think about doing something.

I've definitely noticed that people who don't know me treat me differently now as compared to when I weighed 340 lbs. Specifically, I guess, the moms I encounter at my childrens' schools. They used to ignore me completely and I was fine with that--too busy to chat, and all. :)

But now I actually know a few of them by name! Most of them I've only known this year, so they're not the same exact people who used to ignore me. This is a whole new group of moms, and there's no question I'm no longer invisible. This is sometimes not a good thing, like on Monday mornings. :)

Yes, people treat me different. I think it's a combo of weighing 90 lbs less AND the boost in my own self esteem. I can't blame it all on the weight. I walk with my head up more and walk tall in my skin.

And haven't had friends not want to hang out with me. Have had a few make some snarky comments...but none who abandoned me.

Then again I don't have that many friends.....so others may have differing experiences on that one.

I went to this party the other day and I just felt completely and totally invisible. Like the 20 ppl around me forgot that I existed. I was wondering if things wouldbe different if I was a hundred pounds lighter.

People definately notice I have lost weight and all want ot know how. I just tell them what I eat and that is all. My daughter however tells everyone she knows that we both had lapband surgery. Those that know just tell me I look great and they can tell I have lost weight. I guess the biggest difference is I don't eat anything at parties I go to. I stay away from the food table and only drink Water. People really notice that! I don't socialize with food at all now! If I am shopping or whatever, I wait until I get home to eat. It is just easier to eat at home then to try to find a place that has something I won't PB on.

I haven't really noticed strangers treating me different.

I do think people treat you differently, I have even noticed it with my boss and people I work with. I feel better about myself so that could make a difference too.

I have not lost enough yet for people to notice. However, in the past when I lost a lot of weight, I was noticed and seemed to matter more. Of course, once you feel good about your accomplishments, that positive outlook does a lot to affect changes in others as well. I hate to shop at my present size but I was a shopping whirlwind when I was a size 16. LOL.

I know that when I was smaller, I felt better about myself...I felt sexy and cute and I was more outgoing. Probably because I wasn't so damn tired. Let's face it, it's no easy task toting all that extra weight...and in the summer...omg, we have it 3X as hard as skinny people. Most of the time, we aren't even comfortable enough with ourselves to wear appropriate attire--jeans instead of shorts and no tank top for me, thanks anyway.

So whether or not it's people treating me differently because I'm smaller or because I'm more outgoing is a tough call. It's probably a little of both.

Since I have lost weight I get treated differently by everyone. It is great now but sad because before I think people did not really take me seriously or respect me. I have not "come out" about my surgery except to my husband and children. I have also told a few people I felt needed me to who perhaps might need to consider the band. I won't tell everyone I won't do it to myself. People will judge and once you tell them all there is no going back and they tell others and so forth. Then people make snide remarks about being too weak and so forth. I have heard those who have not dealt with weight issues talk about WLS patients and they generally say they were weak or took the easy way out. We all know that is such a load of Bull but I am glad I did not tell . I am a year and half out of surgery . I struggle to get to goal and struggle in my mind with this head hunger I have . My emotions take over and stress helps me find other sabotaging things like milkshakes I should not have or too much alcohol. I get treated differently yes and it is good now and I am getting attention from men and compliments from women who can't believe I finally did it and all... Does discrimination exist against heavy people?? Oh yes it does. It sucks but it is true. I struggle with the band it is not easy but I would do it again in a heartbeat. If anything ever happens to it I will get it again.

Do you notice that people have treated you differently?

Like...do you notice sales people looking you in the eye more?

Or getting preferential treatment from strangers?

Or your friends no longer wanting to hang out with you?

I'm not far enough along to answer the question, but I've had that happen to me when I've lost weight in the past. It's kind of sad.