Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh my gosh' date=' this is me to a tee! I just didn't know how to express it.

Sent from my iPad using VST[/quote']

I understand. Sometimes it's hard to put into words our feelings. Especially when it comes to taboo topics. So happy that you can relate.

Sent from my iPod touch using VST

Here's a question....do atheists tend to be more liberal leaning in their political views as a group? I know I am and so are the few I know, but just wondering about the masses.

Funny story. My FIL is a fundamentalist, conservative, baptist preacher. When I first met my wife we went to his services a few Sunday's. In every service he would mention that being a good Christian meant loving your country and supporting your president. This was when W was in office. He mentioned it every Sunday. Then Obama got elected, and he hasn't mentioned it since.

Here's a question....do atheists tend to be more liberal leaning in their political views as a group? I know I am and so are the few I know, but just wondering about the masses.

Funny story. My FIL is a fundamentalist, conservative, baptist preacher. When I first met my wife we went to his services a few Sunday's. In every service he would mention that being a good Christian meant loving your country and supporting your president. This was when W was in office. He mentioned it every Sunday. Then Obama got elected, and he hasn't mentioned it since.

very interesting...

Yes, I believe there is a correlation between atheism/agnosticism and liberalism. I think much of it is education, since generally the more education one acquires, the more ones beliefs (or lack thereof?) are more scientifically oriented. I would also argue that liberals deal more in FACTS. Especially this time around. It seems to be all about low-information , and mis-information. I could go ON AND ON :-) Btw, I have searched for a LIBERAL SLEEVERS group...i think it might be time to start one...

Says nothing about God. But a whole lot about human kind....

I'm not a huge fan of organized religion, but I've never bought the idea of religion as the primary cause of violence and/or war. People are the cause of violence and war. If there was no concept of god(s) people would still find reasons to kill each other and go to war.

Yes, but you don't think religion has been used to pit people against each other? I think it has happened since the beginning of religion! Its happening right now, and will continue forever. Using god as reason to kill....if god is real, do you really think he'd want us killing each other in his/her name? Something stinks, dude....i ain't buyin it...

"religion is the opium of the masses..." --Marx

Ugh. At the moment we have extremist Muslims rioting and using violence and hateful messages in Aus. Not acceptable and a real shame.

I'm not a huge fan of organized religion, but I've never bought the idea of religion as the primary cause of violence and/or war. People are the cause of violence and war. If there was no concept of god(s) people would still find reasons to kill each other and go to war.

I agree with you, but people are lining up to die for their religion more than anything else.

Besides, when I hear the words "organized religion"...I don't think God...I think about people. People make religions, and then they ask other people to lay down their life or kill for it.

But I'm not aware of any religion which believes in the right to harm others. It is the people with their own agendas within religious groups, and extremists who use religion as an excuse for violence and harm.

very interesting...

Yes' date=' I believe there is a correlation between atheism/agnosticism and liberalism. I think much of it is education, since generally the more education one acquires, the more ones beliefs (or lack thereof?) are more scientifically oriented. I would also argue that liberals deal more in FACTS. Especially this time around. It seems to be all about low-information , and mis-information. I could go ON AND ON :-) Btw, I have searched for a LIBERAL SLEEVERS group...i think it might be time to start one...

..[/quote']

I'm there! Not necessarily an atheist but most definitely a non-believer in the hypocrisies of organized religion. I think that qualifies as an agnostic. I think we tend to be more liberal because we don't ever take a story at face value, we take time to research and find out the truth. Start a group, please!

Sent from my iPad using VST

In reality no one believe everything in the Bible, Koran or other religious books. They choose the parts that fit their current lifestyle and disregard the rest. If people would just educate themselves about how their religious books came to be and the process of authentication it went through, they would see the lack of creditability it has. To consider that it was written during a period long after it occurred, men tendency to rewrite history to their interpretation and it's full of contradictions. Society use religion for control and behavior guidelines. One day it will be nothing but a great literary book like the Odyssey or other mythical books. But the best selling author will forever be unknown.

Muslims take their Koran more literally than most Christians these days. Back in the Crusades Christians were as bad and barbaric. I believe it has to do with the western world advanced development in science and separation from traditions. Even when individuals from the Middle East or other less developed countries become educated the cling to their old beliefs for a variety of reasons. There is so much more but I think you get my point. People created religion and now we have to deal with the consequences of how individuals and societies interpret it.

In reality no one believe everything the Bible, Koran or other religious book. They choose the parts that fit their current lifestyle and disregard the rest. If people would just educated themselves about how their religious books came to be and the process of authentication it went through, they would see the lack of creditability it has. To consider that it was written during a period long after it occurred, men tendency to rewrite history to their interpretation and it's full of contradictions. Society use religion for control and behavior guidelines. One day it will nothing but a great literary book like the Odyssey or other mythical books. But the best selling author will forever be unknown.

Muslims take their Koran more literally than most Christians these days. Back in the Crusades Christians were as bad and barbaric. I believe it has to do with the western world advanced development in science and separation from traditions. Even when individuals from the Middle East or other less developed countries become educated the cling to their old beliefs for a variety of reasons. There is so much more but I think you get my point. People created religion and now we have to deal with the consequences of how individuals and societies interpret it.

^^^ this. I was just about to say this (people pick and choose which part of their holy book to support, nobody could believe EVERYTHING in the Koran or Bible literally because it's self-contradictory, and people seem to choose which parts to believe based upon their own preconceptions and biases).

But you said it better :)

^^^ this. I was just about to say this (people pick and choose which part of their holy book to support' date=' nobody could believe EVERYTHING in the Koran or Bible literally because it's self-contradictory, and people seem to choose which parts to believe based upon their own preconceptions and biases).

But you said it better :)[/quote']

Thank you. :)