Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So tell me about these leaks....

I've been obsessed with this site and OH for the last week or so. And, I know that leaks are uncommon but I've also read about a few who have had them and one or two who are dealing with MAJOR stuff because of them not healing.

My question is, how many of you who had leaks after surgery know the leaks were caused from being revised from another surgery?

Ok, so there's more than one question, LOL. Second one is, those of you who had leaks that were not caused by damage done from the band or from whatever it was that you were revised from, were they the surgeons fault or was it something that just happened without a known cause?

I am a smoker, and if I get approved for surgery I do plan on quitting beforehand. But, because of being a smoker for 17 years now, I have to cough from time to time and sometimes even have coughing fits if I have or am getting over a cold. I have a 6 year old so I'm constantly getting exposed to his little colds he brings home from school and usually end up sneezing and coughing alot and I'm freaking out over that happening right after surgery and winding up in a horrible situation.

Basically, if someone who's never had any other WLS surgery does the VSG and follows the diet to a tee, they have pretty good odds that a leak won't happen right? I know alot depends on the surgeon. But, leaving the surgeon out of the equation. The one I'm looking at hasn't done a ton of VSG's but has been doing bypasses for several years and has been a general surgeon for many years and has had to do removal of parts of the stomach due to cancers and things. So, I'm hoping that if he's who my pcp refers me to, he's got an awesome handle on the whole thing.

Anyway, just looking for leak experiences with the whole back story, no matter what they may be. And, I just want to say that I'm so glad you are on the other side of that experience!!! And if you are still going through it, I pray for your healing!! Thanks in advance and God Bless!!

Krystal

mmm now you are really scaring me! I had my band removed 12 weeks ago and I'm being sleeved 23rd March. I think the risk of leaks is when the band is removed and you are sleeved in the one procedure. Anyway that's what my surgeon told me here in Australia. What is the OH site? I think I need to check it out! Good luck!

My leak was caused by damage from the band. It was immediately repaired with heavy suturing. I had central line in my arm that fed me 1800 calories daily for over 2 weeks and then I went on clears for 17 days, and then progressed through the rest of the post-op diet.

I was hospitalized in mid-July due to abscesses/fluid pockets in my abdomen that was attributed to microscopic pieces of bacteria from the leak hiding out in my abdomen after the leak repair was done. I had drains placed, hospitalized for a week, and on heavy antibiotics for a couple of weeks.

Leaks happen in 1% of virgin sleeve patients. Smoking definitely slows down healing, and has been known to compromise the sleeve since the healing time takes longer, and leaks occur most often within the first 6 weeks post-op.

I am grateful that my surgeon repaired my leak the way he did. I've many stories about the stents, and drains approach, and while my recovery was difficult, my sleeve looks fabulous (I saw the pics from my scope done on February 4th). I have zero issues now due to the leak, and have no higher risk of developing issues further down the road because of it.

Hand sanitizer and Lysol served me well when I was around the kiddo. I was able to hold off on getting colds/sickness for over 8 months post-op. I caught a chest cold after my gb surgery on Feb 4th.

mmm now you are really scaring me! I had my band removed 12 weeks ago and I'm being sleeved 23rd March. I think the risk of leaks is when the band is removed and you are sleeved in the one procedure. Anyway that's what my surgeon told me here in Australia. What is the OH site? I think I need to check it out! Good luck!

OH = www.obesityhelp.com

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

Oh Melly! I'm so sorry I scared you with my post!! I have only seen a few people out of the many, many, many who post here and at OH that have had leaks or complications period. I'm just so obsessed with this whole thing that I want every single detail about every single thing that could possibly, or not so possibly, go wrong, lol.

Tiffykins, I tell you what, you amaze me girl!! You have been through it!! And come out so well on the other side. You are blessed and you are a blessing to others!! Yeah, after reading from you and some of the others about the whole smoking thing, I'm scared to death to keep smoking and have the surgery. When I finally meet whatever surgeon my PCP sends me to, I'll find out if he requires it to do the surgery but will more than likely quit beforehand regardless of if it's a requirement or not. I know you said that you smoked so had you quit when you had the sleeve surgery done? I haven't seen many people post about smoking on here so I don't know if most of the ones that smoke were smoking pre-op or if they quit and then picked it back up awhile after surgery or if they stayed quit. I know one thing, I pray I quit well before hand because I'd hate to go right up to surgery and quit and go through withdrawals from that and food at the same time. Could you imagine? OH MY, my poor family!! LOL I'd have to be in prayer constantly for sure cuz He's the ONLY thing that could get me through those things! Well, He is anyway but ya know what I mean ;-)

Thanks for the responses!!!!

Krystal

Oh Melly! I'm so sorry I scared you with my post!! I have only seen a few people out of the many, many, many who post here and at OH that have had leaks or complications period. I'm just so obsessed with this whole thing that I want every single detail about every single thing that could possibly, or not so possibly, go wrong, lol.

Tiffykins, I tell you what, you amaze me girl!! You have been through it!! And come out so well on the other side. You are blessed and you are a blessing to others!! Yeah, after reading from you and some of the others about the whole smoking thing, I'm scared to death to keep smoking and have the surgery. When I finally meet whatever surgeon my PCP sends me to, I'll find out if he requires it to do the surgery but will more than likely quit beforehand regardless of if it's a requirement or not. I know you said that you smoked so had you quit when you had the sleeve surgery done? I haven't seen many people post about smoking on here so I don't know if most of the ones that smoke were smoking pre-op or if they quit and then picked it back up awhile after surgery or if they stayed quit. I know one thing, I pray I quit well before hand because I'd hate to go right up to surgery and quit and go through withdrawals from that and food at the same time. Could you imagine? OH MY, my poor family!! LOL I'd have to be in prayer constantly for sure cuz He's the ONLY thing that could get me through those things! Well, He is anyway but ya know what I mean ;-)

Thanks for the responses!!!!

Krystal

My revision was scheduled very quickly, I literally didn't have time to quit and not be going through withdrawls at the time of surgery.

I quit while hospitalized both times, and picked it back up.

I'm now trying to quit again, and am taking Wellbutrin to help me with withdrawls. I stopped taking the Wellbutrin right before my gallbladder surgery, and haven't started it again, but plan to do so once I meet with my PCP on Thursday afternoon to discuss my low blood pressure symptoms, and make sure I can still take it.

My quit date was March 1st, it's now been moved to April 1st.

Girl, I'll be saying a prayer for everything to be ok with that low BP and for your quitting. I'm proud of you for being brave enough to do it!! Up til now, as stupid as it is, I never took the thought of quitting seriously. Now I'm like "whatever, if it means I can have surgery to finally lose this weight, I'll quit" LOL How selfish am I? Sheesh, LOL Wow, me putting that into words just now is kind of an eye opener on the whole subject. Just goes to prove how addicted I am. All the risks to myself and my family were not enough for me to take quitting seriously. But this surgery is making me want to do it. Kinda sad isn't it. Hmmm.....well, I'm off to do some soul searching now, lol. Talk to y'all soon. Tiffykins, keep us updated on the low BP girly.

Krystal

Thanks for the site! Good luck with the smoking thing. I quit about 7 years ago and understand how difficult it is to do. I sucked on DoubleD sugarless lollies. Don't know if you have those over there.