Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Revision-?s on Weight loss Resistance

Hello everyone. I have been lurking for a while but this is my first time posting. Sorry kinda lengthy!!

I have a question and wanted to see if anyone could give my any insight. To give you a little bit of history-I was banded 2 years ago. I initially lost about 55 lbs. over the first 4-5 months. I then got an adjustment that resulted in me being too tight, learning to drink with my food just to get it to go down, then drinking all my food down. I maintained my weight loss for several months, but eventually over the last year have gained back about 30 of the 55 lbs.

After researching VSG, I am very impressed with both how happy people are with their sleeves and the amount of weight that is being lost.

My main question is this, over the last 5-6 weeks I have been trying to lose the weight that I had gained back on my own. I have been eating the band/sleeve/low carb way, with mainly Protein and occasionally some vegetables with one of my meals. I have eaten between 900 and 1200 calories and exercise on the elliptical for approx 50 mins 3-5 times per week. I lost 10 lbs in the first week and a half and nothing since. I am worried that through all the years of yo-yo dieting and then the band that I have made myself weight loss resistant!

Has anyone had extreme trouble losing weight on their own or with a band and then had success with the sleeve. I don't want to go through the risks etc of another surgery just to fail again?!?!?

I can't help you with your questions, but wanted to welcome you to VST and wish you luck on your journey! I don't know if you've checked out the revisions forum, but we have quite a few people that had difficulty with the band and have found success with the sleeve.

Thanks DeeDee. I will post my question over there.

As I have been reading/researching over the last few weeks, your weight loss has been such an inspiration!

Thanks for the welcome!

Kat - I don't know anything about the revision, because I am just getting my sleeve on March 8th and haven't had a band, but having done low carb many times, it is not unusual to have a stall within the first few weeks. If you've done low carb before it seems to be worse the second time. I have had that happen my self and have seen posters on low carb forums post on the same thing.

Have you been tested for insulin resistance?

I did low carb, with heavy working out several times over the last few years. I'd losee 30-40 pounds then stall. My body needed more restriction.

I lost initially with the band, but once I lost restriction, I gained. The sleeve gives instant restriction, and if you follow the rules during the honeymoon phase, I truly believe the sleeve can get most patients to goal.

Usually there is a metabolic issue that would cause a patient to be "weight loss resistant" it's more than just stalling out while dieting.

Thanks for the info Tiffykins.

I really think that is what my problem is too. I would do low carb loss 30-40 lbs then gain it all back and then some. The same with the band, as soon as I learned to eat around it then I did.

After reading and researching hours and hours over the last few weeks, I feel like the sleeve is the way to go-now I just have to convince my dr.-right now, he thinks that since there is nothing "wrong" with my band that we should try to get me adjusted properly and see if we can make it work. I appreciate his honesty and caring bed-side manner-he really is trying to do what is best for me and not just make money off of me with another surgery. The problem is that I think it is basically just prolonging the inevitability of eventually having a revision anyway.

I am just terrified of failing again!

I do now truly understand what you mean by the "honeymoon" phase, and plan to take full advantage of it to try to get to goal quickly and then work on maintaining!