Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Take 3 other meds just to take one? Hmmmm.

I am having my sleeve on Feb 23rd and really scared! I have to take Mobic 15mg once a day, plus Vicodin for a cyst I have in my sacrum. I have that cyst drained every few months at the hospital and am scared that with the surgery, I won't be able to take that strong of a dose of Mobic/and Vicodin. This means that I will be in debilitating pain every day! (Getting this weight off will hopefully decrease pressure on my sacral cyst!) My doc told me that if I was to take any NSAID (esp such a high dose), that I would need to also take Cytotec, Prilosec twice a day, and Carafate. That sounds crazy to have to take 3 other meds just to take one! My PCP seems to agree with this idea too. :blink:Does anyone with a sleeve take Mobic 15mg and Vicodin? What has been your experience? I am really glad my doctor has given me an option to help protect my small stomach, but WHOA! Please help...I'm kinda freaking out here!

Vicodin isn't the problem with your sleeve, it's the Mobic. Mobic is a NSAID and NSAIDs can cause ulcers, especially with chronic use. People with the band or bypass have a higher incidence with problems than the sleeve, but our risk of developing an ulcer with NSAIDs is higher than pre-op due to less surface area in the stomach. I had to beg my surgeon to let me take ibuprofen 800mg following knee surgery. In order to take it, I had to go back on Protonix twice daily. I only took it for a week. Sounds like your doctor is being conservative and trying to limit your risk of developing an ulcer from chronic NSAID use post-sleeve. Following his advise is much easier than dealing with the complications from an ulcer in your tiny tummy. Good Luck :laugh0:

One more thing...the three drugs recommended are tackling the risk from several angles:

Prilosec - proton pump inhibitor - reduces acid secretions in the stomach (longer acting)

Cytotec - inhibits acid secretions in response to stimuli (30mins - 3 hrs)

Carafate - simply put, it works by coating the lining of the stomach and therefore protects it from acid.

I hope this helps :laugh0:

Thanks Linda. You're very sweet to give me that info. (I'm actually an RN so very familiar with these meds!) All this is just so new to me. I think that's why I'm getting so scared about it. We tend to over think things way too much! Are you an RN too?

OMG! Linda! I just noticed you had your sleeve by Dr Nick! That's who I have chosen too! Are they pretty good???? How about the girl "Dee" in the office? Is that who I will be mostly communicating w/? And do you go the support meetings at the Baylor Plano?

OMG - I didn't even see you were from Plano - I'm in Frisco.

Not an RN, I'm a pharmacist.

I loved Dr Nick and his team. I actually go back in next week for my 6 month post-op appt. I've never really been excited to get on the doctor's scale before, but I am this time. I haven't yet attended the support group, I keep meaning to, but end up on here instead. I literally had to BEG Dr Nick to let me take ibuprofen for just a week. Vicodin makes me itchy (like bugs crawling under my skin itchy) and I have to take benadryl with it - you can imagine, I'm quite intoxicated on that combo. There's only so many days I can do that. I was like, "come on, I'm a pharmacist, how bad can a week of ibuprofen really be?" He said he's seen an ulcer with a sleeve in less time with NSAIDs. That was good enough for me, so, protonix for me twice a day. I think medically, Dr. Nick is pretty conservative, not a risk taker, which is fine with me - it's my tummy and I was self pay. I liked the "better safe than sorry" approach.

Hopefully, as you lose weight, you may not need the Mobic. I am taking Celebrex PRN for my knee (not my favorite anti-inflammatory, but better than nothing).

Edited by i1Linda

OMG! I'm glad you're on here! Yes, the oxicams seem to work the best for me. I have tried so many of the classes of NSAID's w/o success. I have what is called a Tarlov cyst in my sacrum at S3-S4, and it has changed my life drastically over the past 2 yrs. This sleeve sx is really a last ditch effort to avoid back sx! So Dr Nick told you that you CAN never take NSAID's except 800mg Ibuprofen? You said that HE told you that he's seen an ulcer w/ a sleeve in less time than a wk of using NSAID's???? WHAT?? Is that an avoidance FOR LIFE of these meds??? Proprionic acids and salicylic acid classes don't seem to work well at all! As a pharmacist, why do the doc's all seem to recommend the proprionic acid classes of NSAID's?

Yes, I'm all about being conservative too! I have another question. Dr Nick's post op diet seems to be a little lax to me. I had visited w/ another MD, Dr Cribbins. His post op diet was very detailed and staged. Why is Dr Nick's not that way? Did you have any complications post sx w/ eating w/ his recommended diet plan?

Thanks for you help! I'm so excited I joined this tonight--even if I only get the chance to talk to one person!

Newme

Dr. Nick didn't want me to take the ibuprofen but if I was going to, wanted me to go back on Protonix bid to protect my stomach. Obviously, your situation is different. I had an acute problem with a short term solution. If the oxicams are what work for your pain, it sounds like Dr Nick was giving you an option that allows you to continue with it's chronic use while still protecting your tiny tummy. Dr. Nick didn't recommend the ibuprofen, I requested it. It works really well for me for my knee pain, especially post-op. I think different types of pain respond differently to different classes (and subclasses) of pain meds in different people. Most docs start with the proprionic NSAIDs and work from there depending on response.

In what way did you find the post-op diet lax? Unless it has changed, it is very similar to most I have seen. For me, post-op has been a breeze (well...starting 3 weeks when I started on mushies). Once I was back on solid food, no problems. I have kept in touch with Melanie, one of his dieticians, with several questions and follow up. I know how to diet, have always known how. I was a great dieter for 2-3 months at a time, but eventually I would get hungry and would fall off the wagon and gain it all back plus a few.

As far a complications, none really to speak of. I had some weird back pain at 14 days post-op. It was pretty significant and felt like it was getting worse. I called and was asked to come right in. He ordered leak test as a precaution, no leak. We ended up diagnosing the pain as muscle spasms - I think just knowing there wasn't a leak helped it go away - I'm a worrier.

At nearly 6 months post-op, I love my sleeve and more importantly, I love my life with the sleeve :smile:

Hi NewME, I am in Nova Scotia, Canada and I am having VSG on Feb 23rd as well!!

We will have to stay in touch pre and post op so we can compare notes!

Hi Oakley! OMG-yes, we WILL have to keep in touch. I'm having a lot of jitters about this surgery and even thinking of canceling it. I keep hearing not so encouraging stories about other patients---but NONE of them have had a sleeve. I really need to talk to someone who has had the sleeve. Are you getting really nervous too? I think I tend to over think things, but also want to make sure I'm making the BEST decision--not just short term, but also long term. What are your feeling since the surgery is right around the corner? Do you start your pre-op diet 2 wks before also?

Linda, I will private message you. I want to ask you something!