Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to Deal with Complications in Mexico

As happy as I am keeping my head in the sand regarding potential complications, I've promised my "inner circle" that I would post this this question...

Those of you that have had VSG in Mexico; what was your plan B for potential complications? I live in Florida so hopping back to Mexicali isn't really an option if something goes wrong. My insurance stinks; 5k deductible and specifically excludes WLS - I have it for catastrophic coverage and thats about it (nevermind the $200/month is costs me. Anyway)

I've always been very healthy and only go to Planned Parenthood once a year for female stuff and and I started getting mammograms a couple of years ago (I'm officially OLD!). I don't really have a PCP although there is a GP here that I could see, I'm sure if need be. We are friends with him though my son's Scout troop... Not really an established professional relationship though.

Thoughts? How did you deal? What are your stories? Did you do the same as me and just decide there will be no complicatons?? Thanks folks, you are such a blessing.

Carol

I'd see that pcp before you go to Mexicali, just so you establish yourself as a patient. Tell him about your coming surgery and that you will need some basic labs done 3 months post op. He will be glad to order them for you.

Dr Aceves may also recommend an upper GI done three months after surgery. Ask him before you leave Mexicali to give you a list of what should be done.

These tests are very important in the event you have a serious nutritional deficiency post op...the diet change is severe in the beginning and although rare, there are potentially serious complications that should be looked for so they can be treated before causing permanent problems.

My pcp ordered all these tests for me. My labs were excellent, just a few deficiencies that can be fixed with certain Vitamin pills. But my upper GI showed that I have developed an esophageal diverticulum which was not there prior to the surgery. I saw a gastroenterologist who did an EGD (looked inside with a light). It is an extremely rare condition, but luckily mine is small and I have no symptoms. Larger ones, or symptomatic ones need surgical repair or they can cause serious, even lethal consequences. I would never have known about it if I had not had the upper GI as recommended by Dr Aceves.

Thanks Cajun, that information was priceless. I actually remembered that a friend works for a gastro here so I talked to her for a bit and, she recommended I go see him. Not going to happen before Monday, however. She also told me - good thing I was sitting down - that the EGD is about $4000 minus the self pay discount!!! Sheesh! Maybe a trip to Mexicali won't be so bad afterall... ! All that aside, I still refuse to have complications! Thanks again for your words. I hope to hear from more folks but I think it might be a good sign that there are just not that many complications!! Woo hoo!

You don't need to spend money seeing a gastroenterologist BEFORE surgery unless you have some specific problem in that department. Just ask Dr Aceves after your surgery what tests you will need post op. It may be cheaper to fly back to see him in Mexicali 3 months post op if you don't have insurance for the tests...get prices and do the math ahead of time. He likes to follow up his patients..sometimes it is easier to do the follow up locally for folks with insurance which is why I did it.

Your situation is identical to mine. pay my own ins. 5K deductable...and I DID have a complication, I had an abscess in one of my incisions. Honestly, I didn't really have a plan other than going to my pcp for bloodwork. I faced this delimma when I went into the emergency room and had to face the judgmental ER doc...I handled it firmly though, and he let it go...and referred me to a local surgeon who also does bariatric work. That surgeon was FABULOUS...didn't judge me whatsoever and gave me the best of care. I guess you need to have some sort of contingency plan, I didn't and it worked out, but it would be wise to do some research.