Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ANY regrets getting the Vertical Sleeve?

i am having a down day!!!! i don't want to eat,drink or do anything. my husband made chilli for supper and i couldn't even eat one bite before i felt like i was going to throw up. i ended up making me a piece of fish. it was good but not what my head was telling me i wanted. i wanted something badddddd for me!!! PIZZA

I am so sorry, anyone is having problems. If you are please contact your Physician. This has so far been wonderful for me, so I have to say no regrets,, other than the first 2 days.

Here is wishing everyone speedy recoveries and the best of happiness.

I'm sorry Lauramomof3, you sound like your going through a bit of depression or after surgery blues. . . it'll get better i promise. I went through something like you, i was really regretting my sleeve but continued to do what i was supposed to do and you know what, it went away. . . your going to be ok, just hang in there. . . if it continues though, call the doctor. . . and do you really want something bad for you or is it just your head talking? You could be going through carb withdrawal which makes you want to eat everything. . . good luck and cheer up, it gets better.

I will never regret trying to control my weight with VSG. I'm down 30 pounds -- from this angle, what's not to like.

Yet, there is more than one perspective. It can be difficult to socialize with people who do not know about the surgery. For instance on Thursday, I went out with my friend to a teahouse. She bought me a Chai latte that tasted just great! But it had whole milk vs. skim and was very rich for me. I drank it as slowly as I could but still could not finish it. My friend thought I didn't like the drink and kept apologizing. And, not long after, I was invited to a prime rib dinner and I had to decline whereas before VSG, I would have gone and had a great time pairing wines with the food. And I will never be able to do what they do again -- match volumes of food. This also means I won't be able to eat 'with' them (keep pace with them) as I will be full much faster than they.

Right now, I'm single. So all the Protein mixes, etc., have simply replaced my previous groceries, in the main. My grocery bill has decreased substantially. But, all of that Protein etc., is expensive and especially if adding it to a family's budget.

For me, it is fantastic to be full on 8 oz of skim milk with chocolate protein. The only way I can let the little person out of me is to eat like a little person. I've never been able to do that for a long period of time, before the VSG. Do I regret it -- nope, not at all.

I will never regret trying to control my weight with VSG. I'm down 30 pounds -- from this angle, what's not to like.

Yet, there is more than one perspective. It can be difficult to socialize with people who do not know about the surgery. For instance on Thursday, I went out with my friend to a teahouse. She bought me a Chai latte that tasted just great! But it had whole milk vs. skim and was very rich for me. I drank it as slowly as I could but still could not finish it. My friend thought I didn't like the drink and kept apologizing.

For me, it is fantastic to be full on 8 oz of skim milk with chocolate Protein. The only way I can let the little person out of me is to eat like a little person. I've never been able to do that for a long period of time, before the VSG. Do I regret it -- nope, not at all.

In the beginning I was like you and didnt tell very many people. But now with the weight loss I tell anybody who is intreasted...I havent had anybody say it wans't the right thing to do...........

Just going through my closet today and putting on shirts i havent worn for a long time felt great...I just said today thats the best $$$$$ I ever spent. Also about your little amount of food you eat. I went to McDonalds one day and couldnt even eat a "happy meal" LOL

My only regrets come when I am out socially, and the feeling only lasts a very short time. My biggest struggle has been learning how to eat slowly. I generally get through my 2-4 oz of food super quickly and then I feel like an idiot sitting there not eating anymore while the other people are basically beginning their meals.

A couple times, it has ended with me taking that one bite too many (never to the point of vomiting, thank god!) but feeling really crappy and not being able to enjoy the social event because I start feeling hot and tired and achey and generally worried that I broke my stomach.

I am dating someone new. We met in the middle of January, about two weeks after I got sleeved, and I still haven't told him. I told him I had surgery for my diaphragm (half true because I had a hiatal hernaia) It is always a little awkward because I can't finish my cup of Soup or three pieces of sashimi and he kind of looks at me like, "Really? You can't eat that?" because while I have lost 35 pounds, I am still not a small lady!

But overall I am so grateful. I can't believe how the 6 weeks since my surgery has flown and how much more energy I have and how much more positive my mental outlook is! Not to mention the jeans falling off. The jeans falling off is awesome.

I was sleeved on January 26, 2010 and I see that everyone mostly doesnt regret the surgery, due to their respective losses. I actually researched the sleeve and thought it would be the best decision for me because when all available WLS were described by my surgeon this particular one stuck out as the best choice for me. I have had constant nausea, which is not fun. Vomiting every other day. Unable to take in enough clear liquid to sustain myself. I definately feel weaker. I am tired after just taking a shower and dressing. Today makes 17 days out and I am down 24+ pounds, but if you think about it if I didnt have the surgery and barely took in liquids for this long I would probably be down the same weight. I really hope I can get to the place everyone else is. I also feel bad because I havent had the extreme complications that a few of you have. I am now thinking that I might have a leak, while in the hospital which by the way was a little longer than anticipated (4 days) laproscopic. I began to vomit blood. I recall vomiting on the operating table. So they kept me until I had a day without vomiting. Now I have nothing but vomiting and diarrhea. I am miserable, weak and no energy. I hope this will soon pass.:)

Hello, I just read this and I'm hoping and praying that by now you have seen your doctor if not are feeling better. My heart goes out to you and I'm sorry you are experiencing difficulty. I'm 5 months out and still not used to the way things feel going in and I've been on antidepressants and anti-anxiety medication since having the surgery so the going is sadly not as easy for some of us. Tiff had to really tough it out for a while since she had complications. She is an inspiration because she's kept a positive attitude and was determined to emerge from it all as a success. She has and as a result has made herself available to all of us. There are many people here that care. I hope your problems resolve quickly and that you will stay connected and keep us informed.

Hey everyone,

I am looking for information from anyone ABOVE 60 BMI that has had the Gastric Sleeve. My BMI is actually 71. My research so far has showed that the VGS is a "better" surgery for those of us witha higher BMI.

Anyone 400+ had the surgery? Especially those at least 1 year out.

Tracy:thumbup1:

I started at 395. I have lost 130+ pounds and I am not yet 6 months out. At first I was having this proceedure done as part one of a DS. Since I have lost the amount of weight that I have and I continue to lose, we are hoping that this will be my only surgery. I have no regrets and aside from a occational reflux (I suffered from reflux prior to my weight loss surgery) I do not have any side affects. For me this was the best thing i could have ever done. If you have any specific questions send my a PM.

I started off with a bmi of 44 or so, i'm down to 38 now within 7 weeks with a total lose of 53 lbs in 7 weeks. . not too shabby. . . weigh in again on march 16th. . .

Thank you so much to everyone who has posted on this thread - its a great source of information and inspiration to those of us still in the decision making process. - You can never have too much information before you go ahead in my opinion.

From what I've read from everyone it seems that once you're over the initial hurdle of probably about 6 weeks (perhaps including the preop diet as well) that you're doing ok. I really think I will have a huge mental issue over not being to eat proper food, but must get my head around the long term benefits to me.

I really feel for those who are having problems....I had complications after some surgery I had 3 yrs back (not WLS) and it really got me down, and although not life threatening as Tiff said, you do come out stronger as a result of it. Maybe its because of that, that I am doing even more research, expecting the worst, so if I have an uneventful healing (barr the food deprivation issue) then fantastic.

I am dating someone new. We met in the middle of January, about two weeks after I got sleeved, and I still haven't told him. I told him I had surgery for my diaphragm (half true because I had a hiatal hernaia) It is always a little awkward because I can't finish my cup of Soup or three pieces of sashimi and he kind of looks at me like, "Really? You can't eat that?" because while I have lost 35 pounds, I am still not a small lady!

- Anneartica - if you're not intending on telling him then you could always say its because you're on a diet (he will see you loosing the weight) and you eat/drink Water before you go out for meals to try and help you with your portion sizes when eating out.....??

The code for the tricare service of the sleeve is Code 43775

Code definition is: LAPAROSCOPY, SURGICAL, GASTRIC RESTRICTIVE PROCEDURE; LONGITUDINAL GASTRECTOMY (IE, SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY)

Number of pocedures allowed without a overide code is: 1

Tricare Benefits

TRICARE covers gastric bypass, gastric stapling and gastroplasty to include vertical banded gastroplasty and laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (Lap-Band surgery) is covered only when the beneficiary meets one of the following conditions:

• Is 100 pounds over ideal weight for height and bone structure and has one of these associated conditions: diabetes mellitus, hypertension, cholecystitis, narcolepsy, Pickwickian syndrome, hypothalamic disorders or severe arthritis of the weight-bearing joints
  • Is 200 percent or more over ideal weight for height and bone structure
  • Has had intestinal bypass or other surgery for obesity and because of complications, requires another surgery (takedown)

TRICARE does not cover:

• Nonsurgical treatment of obesity, morbid obesity, dietary control or weight reduction
  • Biliopancreatic bypass, gastric bubble or balloon for the treatment of morbid obesity

Note for Active Duty Service Members: Bariatric surgery represents a major and permanent change in your digestive system that requires strict adherence to a specific dietary regimen that may interfere with operational deployment. A history of bariatric surgery is already a bar to military service and receiving bariatric surgery while on active duty may be grounds for separation. For more information, view the Health Affairs Policy 07-006.Should I have surgery to lose weight?

Recent research indicates many patients are unable to achieve and maintain large amounts weight loss without the assistance of weight loss surgery.

Along with the burden of obesity often times these patients are plagued with diseases associated with excess weight. These diseases are referred to as co-morbidities and include:

• hypertension
      • diabetes
      • sleep apnea
      • GERD
      • joint pain

Co-morbidities may be reduced or eliminated by weight loss.

The goal of the bariatric program is to provide assistance to patients who may benefit from significant weight loss and have had little success with more conservative treatment methods.

Tricare Prime retirees and dependents who meet specified criteria are eligible for the bariatric surgery program.

What surgeries are available?

The bariatric procedures currently being performed in the program are laparoscopic gastric banding, laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy, and open or laparoscopic gastric bypass.

All procedures are very effective but differ in surgical technique, dietary modifications, lifestyle changes, medical monitoring, and risk to the patient.

Each patient is unique and in consultation with the bariatric surgeon will determine the best surgical procedure.

GastricBandThumb.jpg

Laparoscopic Gastric Banding is the least invasive but effective weight loss procedure. It is the safest procedure. In this procedure an inflatable silicone band is placed around the upper portion of the stomach. The band is tightened around the stomach by injecting saline into the adjustable band. The tightened band creates a small pouch of the upper stomach which restricts the amount of food the stomach can hold, resulting in weight loss.

SleeveThumb.jpg

Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy is another very effective surgical weight loss procedure in which the stomach is stapled and part of the stomach is removed. The remaining portion of the stomach is called a sleeve. The sleeve remains attached to the small bowel and digestion occurs normally. The small stomach fills quickly allowing the patient a feeling of fullness, reducing the food intake resulting in weight loss.

GBPThumb.jpg

Gastric Bypass is the most invasive and most effective weight loss surgery. In this procedure the stomach size is reduced to a pouch, and the upper portion of the small bowel is bypassed. Weight loss occurs by reducing the amount of food intake into the smaller stomach and by the GI tract's reduced ability to absorb calories and nutrients.

Following bypass surgery, the patient will require lifetime medical monitoring for nutritional deficiencies and supplemental Vitamins and minerals.

http://www.uptodate.com

http://www.webmd.com/diet/weight-loss-surgery/gastric-bypass

Do I qualify for the NCA Surgical Weight Loss Program?

The eligibility criteria for a consultation with one of our bariatric surgeons are as follows:

• BMI is a method of classifying body mass into categories used to predict morbidity and mortality. BMI is calculated as follows: weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared.
    BMI Criteria:
    • BMI of 35 or greater with co-morbidities
    • BMI of 40 or greater without co-morbidities
    • We currently do not perform surgery on patients with a BMI of 50+ or >400 lbs.
    • Calculate your BMI: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

[*]Active duty personnel cannot have weight loss surgery as mandated by BUMED

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmcp/Patients/GenSurgery/Documents/

BARIATRIC%20SURGERY%20POLICY_20070326160507_924C6A1B.pdf

[*]You must be between the ages of 20-64 years

[*]We only accept patients with Tricare Prime

[*]Retired military

[*]Dependents of military members (Active Duty or Retired)

[*]You must not be pregnant or lactating

[*]Without multiple serious medical complications related or unrelated to weight

How do I begin the process?

The road to weight loss surgery begins with an appointment with your Primary Care Manager (PCM). Your PCM is going to play a vital role should you and he/she decide weight loss surgery is the best choice for you, and you should keep in close contact with him/her.

If you meet the criteria above and have been unsuccessful with all other methods of weight management, have your PCM enter a consult to the General Surgery Clinic. On that referral, your doctor will need to include the following: your actual weight at the time of the visit, highest weight, height, BMI, and co-morbidities (other conditions caused by obesity).

Also, have your PCM put in referrals for evaluations for bariatric surgery:

• nutrition (Wellness CL BE, 3 visits)
      • exercise physiology (at WRAMC, Wellness CL WR)
      • psychology

You will also need orders for the following:

• blood work: CBC, CMP, Vit D (calcidiol/25-hydroxy)
      • sleep apnea study (guidelines for requirement of test TBD)
      • endoscopy (require EGD for reflux symptoms and require screening colonoscopy for age >50)

If you can get all these referrals and orders now, it will help the process go more quickly and smoothly for you.

Once the referral is received by the surgery clinic, it will be screened for eligibility requirements and appointment availability. If appointments are not available, the consult will be sent to the Referral Management Department and assistance will be given to locate a Bariatric Surgeon outside the Military Treatment Facility.

An overview of our process

For more information concerning Tricare Benefits please refer to the website below:

http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/jsp/Medical/IsItCovered.do?kw=Gastric+

Bypass&topic=Men

Exercise Physiology and Physical Therapy (WRAMC) 202-782-1249

Required Consults:

Exercise Physiology and Physical Therapy

Our Exercise Physiologist and Physical Therapist are members of the multidisciplinary team caring for you in the NCA Bariatric Surgical Weight Loss Program.

Through research in their field, their expertise lies in evaluation muscle response to activity and maximizing its positive effect on the body. This information enables them to formulate exercise programs for professional athletes as well as with patients suffering from cardiac conditions, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or bariatric patients with various limitations in their ability to exercise in the normal sense. In collaboration with your surgeon and other team members, they develop a customized exercise program for you. Their program will assist you in developing techniques and movements to improve your mobility and body

strength.

Exercise, as a requirement of the weight loss program, is a key element in achieving and maintaining long term success in managing a healthy weight. This program will assist you in incorporating exercise into your lifestyle. Services are available at WRAMC. Please call 202-782-1249 for an appointment or more information.

Support Group Information

NNMC-Bariatric Surgery Support Group

Every Wednesday

Time: 1530

POC: Behavioral Health (301) 295-0500

Stating:

Support Group Status: Temporarily on hold until May 2010 or June 2010

WRAMC-Lifestyles & Viewpoints (Behavioral Health group)

Wednesdays (except 2nd Wednesday of the month)

Time: 6:00pm-7:00pm

WRAMC-Monthly Weight Loss Surgery Support Group (Nutrition Care group)

2nd Wednesday of each month

Time: 4:30-6:00pm

POC: Beth Triner 202-782-5466

DeWitt Army Hospital

1st Tuesday of each month

Time: 4:30pm-5:30pm

To sign up for Support Group please call 703-805-0604 or email Becky.Campbell@us.army.mil

The February meeting will take place on Tuesday, February 9th at 4:30

Handouts

Nutrition and Exercise Log Websites (PDF)

Pre-op eating behaviors (PDF) 

Nutrition for Bariatric Surgery Presentation( PDF)

Bariatric Infomation Session Presentation (PDF) 

Nutrition Guide-Sleeve Gastrectomy Booklet (PDF)

Nutrition Appointment Numbers (PDF) 

February 2010 Bariatric Support Group flyer (PPT)

Forms

New pre-surgical assessment (PDF)

Edited by WhatALoadoFF
updated

My daughter, just turned 19, had the surgery last Aug. She was 384 on the surgery date. She has lost 100 pounds and the weight loss is starting to really show. But more than anything else, it has given her "a life". She is optimistic about boyfriends, she is in college and sees a future. There are no words to describe how this makes me feel. I am so glad we took this step. Life without so much weight is worth so much more than the dollars.

Dr. Aceves

Labrys-

I couldn't agree with you more!! I'm so happy to hear that you helped your daughter like this!!

Here I am at 51 years old...... beginning my "NEW life" as well....... dating and going out and just being more social!!

I cannot imagine how hard it was on your daughter being so heavy at such a young age. I have always been a bit "heavy" ( or so I thought ) when I was younger... but never obese at that age.

I was 354 the day of surgery.... but my highest weight was 373. So believe me when I tell you....... I DO understand!

I too am finding out I have a "life"...........

I congratulate you for helping her find her "life" again!! It truely is a wonderful feeling!!!

The only "regret" I have. is not doing this sooner!!

Hats off to you for helping her early in life.. you did a onderful thing for her!!