Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ANY regrets getting the Vertical Sleeve?

I am considering getting the vertical sleeve surgery. I weight 220 and I'm 5'2". I am 46 years old. I've been fat 20 years now, and I'm so tired of it. I think I eat out of habit I guess. My doctor suggested the sleeve, but I am scared. And right now I'm finishing up a big work project so I'm waiting until at least summer for that reason.

I am wondering what specific regrets any of you have. Like what was different than you thought? I think the fact that it is not reversible scares me. Also not being hungry, managing a different kind of diet, not knowing what the slimes ARE (I keep reading about them)....I'm just very afraid to make a mistake.

So please give me your insight if you have a minute. I want a real world view. What will my stomach feel like short-term and long-term. Will it always hurt and be gasy or whatever. I just want to know what to expect.

Hello pumpkino7,

I really enjoyed reading this thread, thank you for starting the comments. I am almost 2 months out at this time and I have no regrets about having the sleeve. My thoughts at first was that I was only going to have the Band and nothing else, no major surgery again for me. I had just had a Total Knee Replacement less than a year before deciding to have bariatric surgery. Well, after going to the seminar and reading this forum and Obesity Help forum, and reading as much as I could on different procedures I decided on the sleeve which my doctor suggested would be good for me. I started my Weigh-ins in Feb 09 and had my sleeve done on Dec.2, 09. I weighed 266.8 in July and 232 the day before surgery. Now I am at 204 I am looking forward to reaching my goal weight of 145. I am losing weight much slower than some are, but I have been eating more than a few bites and I have been eating some things that I know are not diet foods. But I am trying harder now to get in more Protein and eat healthier foods. I want this to be successful and it is a great tool, because now I am not hungry like before and I cannot overeat because if I do I really get to feeling alot of discomfort and feel like I am going to vomit. Foods that are too greasy or too sweet really make me feel uncomfortable. I am learning what my new stomach can tolerate. I am having a hard time getting Water down at times, but I can drink 1% milk. NO REGRETS-------Maybe one small one when I was allowed soft foods I ate too much of the scrambled eggs at the hospital at Christmas and I vomited them all back up, but it was a good lesson early on not to put too much in the stomach at once. I am thankful for the opportunity to have had the sleeve done and I hope for the best for anyone that decides to have this procedure.

Hello Stacie,

I noticed that you have not posted since Jan 25, I sure hope you are doing better. Please let us know how you are doing. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope as you heal from the surgery and start seeing the pounds coming off, you might get some of the hope and joy that you had before having the surgery. I had one incident happen at Christmas that put me in the hospital. I had chest pain and was worried that it might have been a blood clot in my lung. I found out that it was not a blood clot, but I did have a Hematoma about the size of an orange on my spleen. It might have been caused from the surgery, because it is easy for the spleen to be bruised during surgery. I was told that the spleen and liver are both in front of the stomach, that is why it is so important to lose some weight before surgery, especially on the pre-op diet to help shrink the liver for easier access to the stomach. I was told that the Hematoma will hopefully be absorbed by my body. The two worse things that could have happened, would have been for it to have ruptured or to have become infected. I have not had any problems since Christmas, so I am hoping that it is healing ok. I go back to my doctor in March, and at that time I will find out if they will have to do another CT SCAN to see if it has healed. I know that we are told all of the risks before surgery and we all hope that all goes well, but sometimes things do happen and it is difficult for the people that do have. I am trying to stay positive and praying for strength to follow through this journey that I started one year ago.

I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery.

I pray that Stacie is getting some relief and that we hear from her soon. I pray that your issue will resolve itself Mountain Lover. Please let us know of any developments and of the outcome of your next visit to your doctor in March. God be with us.

i have no regrets about getting sleeved really. the only thing i have going on is a reflux issue. some days are worse than others. but i am so glad that i did this in order to have a tool to help me loose some much needed weight.

Research, research, and research some more. I did a lot of geeky research on gastrectomies for cancer and ulcer patients considering those surgeries have been performed for decades upon decades. There are long term results published for the VSG, I can give you some links if you would like.

Tiffykins, could you please send me any links citing the long term effects of VSG, have a friend teetering with the decision, but her pcp has told her the procedure is "too new" to know the long term effects.

Pumpkin07, I'm only 9 days out so I don't have a lot of advice to give, but I will say it's amazing how you begin to see your body changing and the weight dropping in such a little time. I'm truly excited for the next couple of months. Good luck with your decision making.

forumbox_top_left.gifforumbox_top_tile.gifforumbox_top_right.gifforumbox_left_tile.gifLapBandTalk2LapBandTalk_final_logo_150_pixels.pngClick to visit the largest Lap-Band community online!

forumbox_right_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_left.gifforumbox_bottom_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_right.gif

Best decision I have ever made too!! I am less than a month out and I am down 27 lbs already!! WHEN has anyone ever been able to say THAT?? (Other than people who have had the sleeve that is!!)

Well, I am so sorry to answer your question honestly. But I have NEVER regretted anything more in my life. I am one of the unlucky ones that ended up with a leak despite following doctors orders TO A "T" and researching a surgeon with a very low leak rate.

I am exactly one month out and my life is turned upside down beyond belief. I was in the hospital for two weeks, am now eating through a feeding tube and have no idea how long any of this insanity will last. I look in the mirror each and every day crying and asking myself if I really hated myself THIS MUCH. I am 5'3" and 240 pre surgery. I would give my life savings right now to have have my old stomach back without a second thought. I am a young mom though, with three little children under 5 years old so this leak has been horrific for my family. If I was older, and without young children, maybe it would have been less traumatic.

Please understand that although the risk of leaks is very small, it is a risk that could happen and be prepared for that. Best of luck in your decision.

Hello Stacie,

How are you doing since you last posted???????

I sure hope that you are feeling better. It has been a week since you posted, please let us know if there has been any improvement. So many people have you in their thoughts and prayers. We are here for you if you need us. I hope you recover quickly and go forward with your journey with better days ahead!!!

I pray that Stacie is getting some relief and that we hear from her soon. I pray that your issue will resolve itself Mountain Lover. Please let us know of any developments and of the outcome of your next visit to your doctor in March. God be with us.

Thank You for your prayers.

Thank you for all your comments. I had no idea there were so many comments. I did a lot of research and I am scheduled for this Tuesday Feb 9th. I am very nervous about a leak but praying my doctor is wonderfully skilled and there are no complications.

It does scare me that anyone would regret this b/c I do have small children at home who need me to be okay.

Just praying I'm a lucky one and that I can eat and drink normally, just less.

Hey pumpkin07. Wow another Houston sleever. I was sleeved on the 1st of Feb, no regrets so far,, I am on a high. Best thing I have ever done with myself.

I am sure you will be ok, sounds like you have a good support system with family. First couple days were rough, but well worth it and getting better fast.

Wishing you and yours the best, keep us in the loop with how your doing.

I was sleeved on January 26, 2010 and I see that everyone mostly doesnt regret the surgery, due to their respective losses. I actually researched the sleeve and thought it would be the best decision for me because when all available WLS were described by my surgeon this particular one stuck out as the best choice for me. I have had constant nausea, which is not fun. Vomiting every other day. Unable to take in enough clear liquid to sustain myself. I definately feel weaker. I am tired after just taking a shower and dressing. Today makes 17 days out and I am down 24+ pounds, but if you think about it if I didnt have the surgery and barely took in liquids for this long I would probably be down the same weight. I really hope I can get to the place everyone else is. I also feel bad because I havent had the extreme complications that a few of you have. I am now thinking that I might have a leak, while in the hospital which by the way was a little longer than anticipated (4 days) laproscopic. I began to vomit blood. I recall vomiting on the operating table. So they kept me until I had a day without vomiting. Now I have nothing but vomiting and diarrhea. I am miserable, weak and no energy. I hope this will soon pass.:lol0:

I was sleeved on January 26, 2010 and I see that everyone mostly doesnt regret the surgery, due to their respective losses. I actually researched the sleeve and thought it would be the best decision for me because when all available WLS were described by my surgeon this particular one stuck out as the best choice for me. I have had constant nausea, which is not fun. Vomiting every other day. Unable to take in enough clear liquid to sustain myself. I definately feel weaker. I am tired after just taking a shower and dressing. Today makes 17 days out and I am down 24+ pounds, but if you think about it if I didnt have the surgery and barely took in liquids for this long I would probably be down the same weight. I really hope I can get to the place everyone else is. I also feel bad because I havent had the extreme complications that a few of you have. I am now thinking that I might have a leak, while in the hospital which by the way was a little longer than anticipated (4 days) laproscopic. I began to vomit blood. I recall vomiting on the operating table. So they kept me until I had a day without vomiting. Now I have nothing but vomiting and diarrhea. I am miserable, weak and no energy. I hope this will soon pass.:lol0:

Have you contacted your surgeon? Nausea is somewhat normal, but if you aren't able to get in fluids, and are vomitting your compromising the healing process of the staple line. Your surgeon should be able to get you some meds to relieve the nausea.

Please don't wait if you suspect you have a leak.

I'm so sorry you are having this trouble. Kind of scary for us pre-op people. Please heed Tiffykins' suggestion -- call your surgeon and I hope things improve dramatically for you. Keep us posted.:lol0:

Thank you for your advice. You seem to be an inspiration to this website, and I suspect it is why so much good has come you. God bless!:001_rolleyes: