Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ANY regrets getting the Vertical Sleeve?

same as everyones else has chimed no regerts ,no hunger, 5 months out and 88 pounds down with 85 more to go.:thumbup1:

xoxo,

nikki

Yes I have one regret....that I had the band first!!!!!!

That is my one and only regret, the band was a nightmare. I have NO troubles at all with the sleeve. I never get hungry, I don't burp all the time, I have never vomited, I don't slime none of the things that you listed. I just eat and go!! I can gulp liquids too, something I could not do with the band.

I love this tool so much, I hope you will as well!!

I was sleeved in October and no regrets so far. I had lost about 60 pounds earlier by dieting and it took all of my strength & then I yo-yoed for several years. The operation wasn't fun, especially as they had to go in again and remove a huge amount of clotted blood the day after the surgery, but I've recovered well. I was pretty tired for the first three weeks.

No real pain, some discomfort the first week. Didn't take any pain meds past one week post surgery. The stitches itched slightly at some point.

Now, nearly three months later, I've lost about 49 pounds after the surgery and living is easy. I'm cleared to eat any food and I do, but stay away from Cookies and cake and anything below 70% chocolate. Don't eat Pasta, rice or potatoes.

I feel great, stomach feels normal, but I don't get hungry (yet, though I hope it's permanent...) and once I've learned to eat slowly it's been easy to feel good after eating. Learning to eat slowly, chewing a lot more, and to buy less food (it feels like I buy one tenth of the amount of food I used to) has been the steepest learning curves for me.

I've been eating on average 850 calories a day for the past two months and one of the things that annoy me slightly is that I do feel a bit weaker than I used to. Doing something that really takes strength, like shovelling snow, makes me tire a lot quicker. Probably has to do with both calorie intake and muscle loss. I do Pilates twice a week and have taken up running, so hopefully I'm building strength again. On the other hand, having lost so much weight already, moving around is so much easier!

Edited by Jolanda

Thanks for the insight! Sometimes reading these boards, with the one exception of the one person in the complications board, its hard to find what problems people had with their VSGs. I know Hair loss is a issue but I have never thought about reduced energy.

14 weeks out and 68 lbs down. I have ZERO regrets. My surgeon makes the sleeve a bit bigger than most, so I can eat a bit more than most people. When someone doesn't know I've had the sleeve, they just think I'm dieting or I just don't eat much. I eat like a 5 year old.

I never get the slimes, throw up, or feel sick. In the beginning I had some acid reflux but that's gone down to maybe twice in the last month and that was just cause I took a nap too close to eating.

Some examples of what I've eaten for my last few meals:

Half a BLT sandwhich

An egg and a bite of a biscuit

Half a piece of fish and a couple bites of Pasta.

Half a piece of chicken and a couple bites of spinach.

Half an english muffin with egg, cheese, pesto, spinach leaves.

I eat salad with crab meat, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, carrots, cabbage a lot. I just can't eat a lot.

I *never* clean my plate. Ever. Even tho I eat off small saucers.

I don't regret it for a second. It was the small push I needed.

Positive energy, telling myself that I love me, that I need to be strong and lean for survival, that I'm worth it, exercising, stretching, drinking lots of Water, and having a smaller tummy has made a lot of difference in my life. I do still get hungry but it's just a tired feeling or a feeling of emptyness rather than that gnawing feeling of hunger that used to be there all the time.

68 lbs in just over 3 months. Finally my prayers have been answered!

Josephine, can I ask what size sleeve you have?

Thanks!

14 weeks out and 68 lbs down. I have ZERO regrets. My surgeon makes the sleeve a bit bigger than most, so I can eat a bit more than most people. When someone doesn't know I've had the sleeve, they just think I'm dieting or I just don't eat much. I eat like a 5 year old.

I never get the slimes, throw up, or feel sick. In the beginning I had some acid reflux but that's gone down to maybe twice in the last month and that was just cause I took a nap too close to eating.

Some examples of what I've eaten for my last few meals:

Half a BLT sandwhich

An egg and a bite of a biscuit

Half a piece of fish and a couple bites of Pasta.

Half a piece of chicken and a couple bites of spinach.

Half an english muffin with egg, cheese, pesto, spinach leaves.

I eat salad with crab meat, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, carrots, cabbage a lot. I just can't eat a lot.

I *never* clean my plate. Ever. Even tho I eat off small saucers.

I don't regret it for a second. It was the small push I needed.

Positive energy, telling myself that I love me, that I need to be strong and lean for survival, that I'm worth it, exercising, stretching, drinking lots of Water, and having a smaller tummy has made a lot of difference in my life. I do still get hungry but it's just a tired feeling or a feeling of emptyness rather than that gnawing feeling of hunger that used to be there all the time.

68 lbs in just over 3 months. Finally my prayers have been answered!

Your doing great!! That is a huge loss in weight and you are able to eat fairly well and drink Water too? I have lost all desire for plain water and it sort of makes me upset. I can only drink one flavor Vitamin water and I dilute it with plain water.

Josephine, can I ask what size sleeve you have?

Thanks!

I honestly don't know the exact size. Before the surgery the surgeon said my tummy will hold 350 ml. That's what 10 oz? Surely he meant eventually it holds that much. Then I asked his nurse a month after surgery and she said she's not sure, it's not written on the surgical report, but that she *thinks* he uses a 46 (because all his sleeves end up being switches after the first year and you need to be able to eat enough if you need to stop the weightloss). But I intend to show him that I do not need that part. :lol0: I love my sleeve!

Your doing great!! That is a huge loss in weight and you are able to eat fairly well and drink Water too? I have lost all desire for plain Water and it sort of makes me upset. I can only drink one flavor Vitamin water and I dilute it with plain water.

Yes, I drink 64-90 ozs a day and eat 4 or 5 times a day in small portions. Anywhere from 700-1000 calories. One day a month ago I actually did 1200, but I was nausiated and eating a lot of crackers that day!!! I showed a 6lb loss the next day. I think my body really needed those few extra calories.

Edited by Josephine

Thanks for the insight! Sometimes reading these boards, with the one exception of the one person in the complications board, its hard to find what problems people had with their VSGs. I know hair loss is a issue but I have never thought about reduced energy.

I would say my energy level shot up by 100% I feel wonderful

I find i get tired easy. . . usually in the bed by 9pm during the weekday and at about 10:30 pm on weekends . . . energy level? i guess it's about the same as before

I can't wait to get sleeved.....for some reason I thought the sliming was something associated with being banded. No?? WHAT is it??!!!!

No Sliming is associated with the band only. It is whan you eat something your band does not like, and you just keep spitting up this slimy stuff. Sometimes it goes on forever. It is totally gross!! I have never had this since my band was out, nor have I read about a sleeved person having it. I could be wrong??

I can't wait to get sleeved.....for some reason I thought the sliming was something associated with being banded. No?? WHAT is it??!!!!

No, slimming can happen to all of the surgeries.

I slimmed for 3 months when I got sleeved. And will still vomit it I eat tooo fast, or too big of bites. And I'm 11 months out.