Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ANY regrets getting the Vertical Sleeve?

I'm a band-to-sleeve revision. I think the sleeve is a much better choice for me. I did go through a period of time figuring out what I cannot tolerate (in my case, full milk and eggnog) and did have a few early bouts of vomiting and sliming.

Beyond that, it's been relatively straightforward. I can eat just about anything, but in small doses. I dropped the extra weight I gained with the malfunctioning band and have been stable without really having to think about what I eat.

All in all, a good choice. I just wish it hadn't taken 3 surgeries and 15K out of pocket (post-insurance) to get here.

Oh NO

I did not think you could slime with the sleeve. Well so far so good, no sliming!! I knew someone would have that answer.

No, slimming can happen to all of the surgeries.

I slimmed for 3 months when I got sleeved. And will still vomit it I eat tooo fast, or too big of bites. And I'm 11 months out.

I can't wait to get sleeved.....for some reason I thought the sliming was something associated with being banded. No?? WHAT is it??!!!!

Sliming can and will happen if you eat too fast, or do not chew well early out.

I slimed with both surgeries. It's different than the band though. The sleeve it doesn't last as long, and it isn't wretching feeling that you get with the band. For me it's an overproduction of this slimy spit in your mouth, kind of like when you need to vomit, your salivary glands over produce spit.

I vomitted a few times early out because of food intolerances. I still eat super slow, but now that I am further out, I do not have to chew food to pulverized consistency. I chew my food well, but it's not icky flavored mush in my mouth.

Well, I am so sorry to answer your question honestly. But I have NEVER regretted anything more in my life. I am one of the unlucky ones that ended up with a leak despite following doctors orders TO A "T" and researching a surgeon with a very low leak rate.

I am exactly one month out and my life is turned upside down beyond belief. I was in the hospital for two weeks, am now eating through a feeding tube and have no idea how long any of this insanity will last. I look in the mirror each and every day crying and asking myself if I really hated myself THIS MUCH. I am 5'3" and 240 pre surgery. I would give my life savings right now to have have my old stomach back without a second thought. I am a young mom though, with three little children under 5 years old so this leak has been horrific for my family. If I was older, and without young children, maybe it would have been less traumatic.

Please understand that although the risk of leaks is very small, it is a risk that could happen and be prepared for that. Best of luck in your decision.

Stacie, my heart goes out to you and so will my prayers. Contact Tiffykins, she had to endure complications and she has come through. I am one of the few who was not psychologically ready for this surgery and as a result I'm on anti anxiety and trials of anti depressant drugs (thus far none have worked). My life has become barely functional. I must believe that this will pass but while in the throes of my fears and depression I just can't see myself there yet so I keep looking back and wishing I'd never gone through with it. I am so so sorry for what you and your family must endure but know that others have pushed through and they are living fully functional, productive and happy lives. Thank you for having the courage to speak your feelings.

Well, I am so sorry to answer your question honestly. But I have NEVER regretted anything more in my life. I am one of the unlucky ones that ended up with a leak despite following doctors orders TO A "T" and researching a surgeon with a very low leak rate.

I am exactly one month out and my life is turned upside down beyond belief. I was in the hospital for two weeks, am now eating through a feeding tube and have no idea how long any of this insanity will last. I look in the mirror each and every day crying and asking myself if I really hated myself THIS MUCH. I am 5'3" and 240 pre surgery. I would give my life savings right now to have have my old stomach back without a second thought. I am a young mom though, with three little children under 5 years old so this leak has been horrific for my family. If I was older, and without young children, maybe it would have been less traumatic.

Please understand that although the risk of leaks is very small, it is a risk that could happen and be prepared for that. Best of luck in your decision.

Stacie, I'm so sorry you are having to endure a leak. I had one as well, and it was a very long road to a full recovery, BUT, I can tell you once you get passed these speed bumps, life with the sleeve is awesome.

I had a leak 2 days post-op my band to sleeve revision. I had leak repair surgery, where they sutured the leaked area with heavy sutures. My lungs would not recover after the 2nd surgery so I landed in ICU on a ventilator, in a medically induced coma for 5 days with a grave prognosis for survival. Once my vitals stabilized I was woken up, and then released a couple of days later with a central line in my arm and force fed 1800 calories a day through a TPN bag and sent home with drains and an in-home health care nurse. I was only 32 at the time, with an 11 year old son, and my husband was deployed to Afghanistan and was not allowed to come home.

I completely empathize with you, but what got me through all of the trials of the complications, was my sheer determination to recover and beat the odds. My mother drove to FL from TX to get my son. I was alone for over 3 weeks and not able to eat or drink anything for 22 days. Nothing passed my lips from June 2 to the 25th with the exception of 2oz of contrast Fluid used for the leak tests.

I won't deny being scared, and wondering what the heck was I thinking, but I have zero regrets because I survived, and learned about myself, and my strength to endure pure hell.

I know it's not everyone's mentality, but I honestly believe that a positive attitude will help you overcome these obstacles through your journey.

I was hospitalized for a week, 6 weeks post-op for abscesses in my abdomen and pelvic cavity. I was dehydrated, and once again came home with drains in my abdomen for a 2-3 weeks. But, I am stronger because of it.

It's been researched, and documented that positive mental status will help you recover. You can and will "WIN" if you want to. You can and will "RECOVER" if you can will yourself to believe it.

That's the only thing that got me through my recovery. I had to resign from my job, and now can not find another one. My husband went through severe emotional distress due to my condition/complications while being in a war zone. BUT, here I am almost 8 months out, and firmly believe that I endured all of it, and I've won. I'm healthy, happy, and my life is full of joy because of the trials and tribulations I endured, I cherish every day more than the last.

If you need to talk, vent, or cry, please feel free to contact me via Private Message feature here.

Stacie, I'm so sorry you are having to endure a leak. I had one as well, and it was a very long road to a full recovery, BUT, I can tell you once you get passed these speed bumps, life with the sleeve is awesome.

I had a leak 2 days post-op my band to sleeve revision. I had leak repair surgery, where they sutured the leaked area with heavy sutures. My lungs would not recover after the 2nd surgery so I landed in ICU on a ventilator, in a medically induced coma for 5 days with a grave prognosis for survival. Once my vitals stabilized I was woken up, and then released a couple of days later with a central line in my arm and force fed 1800 calories a day through a TPN bag and sent home with drains and an in-home health care nurse. I was only 32 at the time, with an 11 year old son, and my husband was deployed to Afghanistan and was not allowed to come home.

I completely empathize with you, but what got me through all of the trials of the complications, was my sheer determination to recover and beat the odds. My mother drove to FL from TX to get my son. I was alone for over 3 weeks and not able to eat or drink anything for 22 days. Nothing passed my lips from June 2 to the 25th with the exception of 2oz of contrast Fluid used for the leak tests.

I won't deny being scared, and wondering what the heck was I thinking, but I have zero regrets because I survived, and learned about myself, and my strength to endure pure hell.

I know it's not everyone's mentality, but I honestly believe that a positive attitude will help you overcome these obstacles through your journey.

I was hospitalized for a week, 6 weeks post-op for abscesses in my abdomen and pelvic cavity. I was dehydrated, and once again came home with drains in my abdomen for a 2-3 weeks. But, I am stronger because of it.

It's been researched, and documented that positive mental status will help you recover. You can and will "WIN" if you want to. You can and will "RECOVER" if you can will yourself to believe it.

That's the only thing that got me through my recovery. I had to resign from my job, and now can not find another one. My husband went through severe emotional distress due to my condition/complications while being in a war zone. BUT, here I am almost 8 months out, and firmly believe that I endured all of it, and I've won. I'm healthy, happy, and my life is full of joy because of the trials and tribulations I endured, I cherish every day more than the last.

If you need to talk, vent, or cry, please feel free to contact me via Private Message feature here.

:scared0:Wow what a horrible thing to get! Stacie, I'm so sorry you are going through this . . . my prayers and thoughts will be with you . . . Tiff, can I ask a question which may seem bizzare to you, but what exactly does a leak feel like? How does a person know they have one?

:scared0:Wow what a horrible thing to get! Stacie, I'm so sorry you are going through this . . . my prayers and thoughts will be with you . . . Tiff, can I ask a question which may seem bizzare to you, but what exactly does a leak feel like? How does a person know they have one?

They found it on my final (3rd) leak test right before discharge.

I sipped the 2oz of tang flavored gastrographin contrast solution, and felt immediate, hellacious pain radiate across my abdomen. I had zero symptoms before. I was up walking around, launding, no fever, no vomiting, no pain, until I drank that 2oz of Fluid. My IV fluids had been discontinued. I was feeling great.

They had me lay back on the ct table, and that's when the leak was found. I knew immediately when I swallowed that stuff that I had a leak. My staple line was weakened due to the damage the band had done, and the gastrographin caused it to open up. My sleeve is actually "shorter" than other sleeve patients not only because of my height, but because they had to remove more tissue, my sleeve is a little more "straight" instead of banana shaped. That's why I'm so vocal about people advancing their post-op diets too quickly. I was doing what I was supposed to do, and I still had a leak.

I think typical symptoms of a leak are fever, chronic pain, vomiting, and/or inability to keep anything down.

Thanks Tiff, what an horrid experience that must have been! I was just wondering because if I ever get a leak, what it would feel like. . . thanks again. . .

I just want to thank you Tiffy for sharing your story with Stacie. I hope it gives her hope and helps her get through.

Thanks for sharing Tiffy, I knew you had complications but didn't know you were on your own, how awful for you. If anyone had a right to regret you did. Now look at you, what a strong role model and support for this forum!

I m 5 weeks out ,,, had a rough time first 2 weeks,,,, I was back at work in 1 week.now days only acid reflux that i can cure with Nexium. Other than that, every time i see the mirror i just smile....

Go for it!

I'm not sure what slimes are, I only had those when I had my lap band. I have not vomited once (knock on wood) My stomach doesn't growl, it doesn't hurt. Its just like I can only eat a little now. I have no problems at all with my new stomach.

With that said, let me say this. I have to agree with DeeDee. The emotional journey has been the most difficult for me. I think we all realize our attachment to food is beyond hunger. I'm from Louisiana, and people's whole lives are planned around FOOD...every event. I was depressed at first, I'm only two months out so I can say its still a struggle. Its hard ordering at restaurants, I still cringe when the wait-staff comment on how little I eat. I've lost 40 pounds so far, and I can tell you that I eat what I want. I try to keep the protien factor in mind..but I find that if I eat what I like and satisfying food, it minimizes my feelings of 'missing out' I don't eat low fat/fat free...but I'm only eating minimal amounts. Last night I had my first slice of pizza (gasp) Yummy flatbread type. I had one very small piece loaded with cheese, and it was HEAVEN. It was all I needed to kill the craving and FILLED me up. I think a support group would be great if you can find one. Well, wait, this place is an awesome support group :crying: Hope this helps and feel free to Private Message me if you have any other questions!

Shontel I feel almost like you do...I never have had one problem and have tried almost everything. I went to McDonalds one day and couldnt even eat all the" happy meal"....I was eating in and when I went and asked the girl for a bag to take the rest with me she kinda looked at me funny so I told her I had stomach surgery. I guess she didnt think it was for weight loss but something else and was all concerned. I left it at that. lol...... Anyway just wanted to say that after 3 months I eat anything I want just much smaller amounts. I Dont feel cheated what so ever and as of today im down 69 LBS. :crying::eek:

Hello Stacie,

I noticed that you have not posted since Jan 25, I sure hope you are doing better. Please let us know how you are doing. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope as you heal from the surgery and start seeing the pounds coming off, you might get some of the hope and joy that you had before having the surgery. I had one incident happen at Christmas that put me in the hospital. I had chest pain and was worried that it might have been a blood clot in my lung. I found out that it was not a blood clot, but I did have a Hematoma about the size of an orange on my spleen. It might have been caused from the surgery, because it is easy for the spleen to be bruised during surgery. I was told that the spleen and liver are both in front of the stomach, that is why it is so important to lose some weight before surgery, especially on the pre-op diet to help shrink the liver for easier access to the stomach. I was told that the Hematoma will hopefully be absorbed by my body. The two worse things that could have happened, would have been for it to have ruptured or to have become infected. I have not had any problems since Christmas, so I am hoping that it is healing ok. I go back to my doctor in March, and at that time I will find out if they will have to do another CT SCAN to see if it has healed. I know that we are told all of the risks before surgery and we all hope that all goes well, but sometimes things do happen and it is difficult for the people that do have. I am trying to stay positive and praying for strength to follow through this journey that I started one year ago.

I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery.