Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein for the rest of your life?

I am on a waiting list to take my required classes for my surgery and have been doing alot of reasearch. I've found out that I love watching updates of people on youtube, especially amysdmom. It is very supporting and inspiring. Overall, from watching all these videos, I've realized that everyone talks about their Protein and getting their protien in daily. I had thought that after surgery (I know alot changes) but after about a year or 2 overall I thought the only thing that would change in life (besides clothes size) is the way you eat. Now I'm thinking...Maybe since these people are talking about protien alot as well as counting calories and carbs all the time, is this a FOREVER thing? I mean...I know you have to watch what you eat and all that good stuff, but will I have to take protien shakes everyday and count all my calories, take Vitamins? ? :confused1:I just have so many questions.

Also, if you know of any more you tube updates let me know! Thanks in advance!

I did not and have not ever relied on Protein drinks. I tried over 20 brands, flavors, and different types of Protein (whey, soy, egg) and none of them really worked for me with the exception of one, and I rarely used it.

I get in my minimum of 60gr of protein from food sources.

As for counting calories, and carbs, I was strict with myself the first 4 months. Now, not so much as I am trying to maintain, and I can have a more balanced, varied diet.

Vitamins are a required thing for life, but I just take 2 multi-vitamins daily with a sublingual B-12 once daily.

Hi there! I'm only a week out so I can't say much as for the long-term *except* that one of the things stressed during all of my pre-op appointments was the Vitamins. Like Tiffy mentioned, the Vitamins are for life, and one of the reasons that I was told for that is that long-term deficiencies in some of the vitamins (it might be B12? ) can lead to permanent nerve and/or brain damage. And since we can only eat small meals, it's not probable that we'll get the daily amounts of those nutrients from our food sources.

Deedee suggested Thecitydoll on YouTube and she has quite a few videos from early pre-op to I think 8 months post-op. I love looking at before & after pics (check out Tiffy's for sure! :)), but I think it's awesome to see the videos as well. 'll have to check out that one you mentioned!

Oh yes there are a few on YouTube that I've been following. "Thinjourney" has an awesome before/after video: YouTube - thinjourney's Channel

I would also recommend "WeightNoLonger", "faithkp" and"jrzygirlforlife".

My program guidelines for Protein is that once you can eat three ounces of dense Protein three times a day, you no longer require protein supplements. On average, they say you can achieve this during the 3-6 month period. If you can get the 3 ounces 3 times a day that is about 60 grams and that doesn't count any additional protein sources like milk or cheese.

You do need Vitamins for life, but most people should be taking them for life anyway.

Good luck.

Its good your doing more and more reasearch on your own. But you will learn a lot of this in your classes. Once your far enough to get enough Protein from your food intake then you dont need the supplements any more. But as said before vitamines are for life (as they are with or without WLS).

Counting calories also a good thing until you are ready to maintain.

Yeppers your options teachers will go over all of it with you. Each Vitamine is needed for something, its VERY important

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches