Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this hunger pangs?

I will get a burning sensation in my stomach. It actually makes me cring for a sec. If I eat something that coats my stomach, it usually goes away. I dont know if it's hunger that is being fed or if it's acid and when I eat something it calms it. I've felt it since about 3 days post-op. Is the burning normal?

Also, I'm finding that although I can't eat much at a time, I seem to be hungry often. Not head hunger but actual burning, stomach growling hunger. I feel like I'm eating at least a little something every couple hours. Just want to make sure something isn't wrong.

Are you on an acid blocker?

VSG patients are supposed to be on

an acid blocker for the first 6 months.

WOW Gingin..

First off congrats on the loss 19 lbs in a week that is AMAZING! I was sleeved on 11/17. I have found myself hungry too... we are eating very few calories and if you are on Protein shakes and mostly liquids I was told that it passes through quickly and that is why you are hungry again... once we get on solids it won't pass through as fast.. the feeling "full" lasts longer..

As far as the acid... I had acid-reflux before VSG so still take a daily prilosec pill..... I have to open the capsule and put the inside on a spoon... (I just dip the spoon in yougurt).. but it works, the one day I missed my dose I did notice more heartburn... so I'm wondering if you can just call you surgeon today, hopefully open, and inquire re: the acid.

Good luck!

There are over-the-counter products available. I had never had heartburn until after surgery. I was put on pepcid but it didn't work. The surgeon switched me to to Protonix and that did the trick. I was still burping, but the acid reflux and heartburn went away. Now the burping is subsiding a little, so I'm hoping and 3 months I'll be able to get off the Protonix.

I have the same thing. I feel hungry quite often but eating little every time. after eating, you should not drink for 45 minutes after a meal so as not to dilute the stomach contents and speed gastric emptying and hence feeling hungry ( empty ) again and that is if you are on mushies or solid food.< /p>

GinGin,

I read your post about your incision. How's it going? Anyother problems since your surgery? How's the weight loss? Was it worth it? I am acutally scheduled for the MGB on 12/11 and had originally looked on this site after searching for info on Dr Almanza. Is there another post about your time in Mexico? Hope things are going well for you.

I am on prilosec - I prefer Nexium as it works better for me; but my insurance won't cover it any longer - so my PCP gave me prilosec. Bearded is taking OTC Prilosec and we are both doing fine with the acid.

It sounds as though what you are experiencing is too much acid in your new tummy - you should definitely be taking some type of PPI - if you can't get your doctor to give you a script for one, you can buy the prilosec OTC at any drug store - or at Sam's or costco. We bought the Sam's Club brand and it works just as well as the other. I sometimes have to take Zantac later in they day, but those days seem to be getting fewer and fewer.

I'd call your surgeon or PCP on Monday and get a script for something - I am sure it will make a lot of difference - just be sure to take it on an empty stomach.

I take generic Protonix.

I am sure that what you are feeling is acid and not hunger. There are many non prescription acid relievers on the market. Just go to your pharmacy counter at nearly any grocery or Walmart type store. Zantac, Prilosec, etc. Don't have to wait for a doctor's appointment. It is not a good idea to eat more than 3 meals a day as that will start a habit that is hard to break and will lead to grazing which will make it harder to lose weight.

GinGin,

I read your post about your incision. How's it going? Anyother problems since your surgery? How's the weight loss? Was it worth it? I am acutally scheduled for the MGB on 12/11 and had originally looked on this site after searching for info on Dr Almanza. Is there another post about your time in Mexico? Hope things are going well for you.

My incision is looking so much better. I go to the dr tomorrow and I will get my stitches out. No other problems except the discomfort I feel when I eat sometimes. Like something is getting caught. I haven't wrote a post about my visit to Mexico yet but I do plan to. The weight loss seems slow to me. I've lost about 9 lbs since surgery. I used to be a pretty quick loser but I guess since I'm older now and so much yo-yo dieting, it's a lot harder. As for was it worth it... It's to early to say right now but so far, I'd say yes, it's worth it.

I bought some pepcid and today was a bit better with the burning. I'll ask my dr for something better tomorrow for the acid.

Edited by Gingin33

Hi there.

I also felt I needed to eat something every couple of hours but it is getting better now. I think from when I started my 3rd week I need something less often. It is nice not thinking of food alllll the time. ha ha. I now have day when I want to eat everything in sight but they are few and getting fewer. I started gym yesterday and I felt that way but I think it was because of the exercise. good luck

How did it go with your doctor?

I have the same problem if I am lame and don't take my acid blocker twice a day. I feel this is probably an acid issue.

I got my stitches out today. The infection is clearing up nicely but she got the results back from the culture and the antibiotics I was taking was not the best for the type of infection so she switched me to something else.

I asked her about the pain I was feeling and acid and she said thats probably what it is. She's just a family dr and doesn't really know very much about this type of surgery. I bought some pepcid a few days ago and she told me just to take that and if I need something else she will write me a prescription. After taking the pepcid for a few days, the pain does seem to be better. I was only taking one but she told me to take 2 a day so I'll try that.

You need to take it every day.

People who have had sleeve surgery

are supposed to stay on an acid

blocker for a few months. there

is a difference between the ones

that help with the acid once it forms, and the ones (PPIs)that prevent it from forming in the first place.