Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone :)

I have been coming to this website for months now, reading everyones posts. I just had my VSG 2 weeks ago today.

I decided I would finally register and log in and maybe say hello.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

I wont lie, I am struggling a little but here. I have been greiving food. There have been a couple days I have sat on the couch and just cried. I have thought a few times I made a mistake. I have heard this is normal, but really, is anything considered normal at this point?

Well, I just wanted to say hello! Take care everyone!

Welcome Internet Angel,

I'm so happy that I don't get my VSG until AFTER thanksgiving...lol. Like you said though, the grieving of the food is just as hard as the physical hunger.

Tracy

Hello Everyone :)

I have been coming to this website for months now, reading everyones posts. I just had my VSG 2 weeks ago today.

I decided I would finally register and log in and maybe say hello.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

I wont lie, I am struggling a little but here. I have been greiving food. There have been a couple days I have sat on the couch and just cried. I have thought a few times I made a mistake. I have heard this is normal, but really, is anything considered normal at this point?

Well, I just wanted to say hello! Take care everyone!

Hi Angel,

Yes, it is so normal to cry over losing a relationship with food that you've (we've) had for many, many years. After you are feeling better, and see that your new relationship with food feels just fine, and in fact feels even better, you will be so glad you did this. It just takes time to adjust though. And for now, you are having the discomforts that go with being newly sleeved, so grieve as much as you need to!

We are here to help and if you have any questions or worries, just talk to us on this forum. We'll try to help.

It's been two months since I was sleeved, and I am just now beginning to feel "normal". I was able to fix a small plate with small portions of what ever I wanted at our thanksgiving dinner at work. I only ate a few bites and was full....but I got a taste of turkey, cornbread dressing, and pecan pie. I did not stuff myself...just tasted and ate more turkey than anything to try to get in my Protein...it felt so good to be able to share the holiday with my friends.

You will be better soon. Take heart! Take it slow so you protect your new sleeve...soon you will be feeling better.

hi angel i just had durgery on the 23rd and yes to day was alittle hard but i amd so glad it is over and my journey has begun best of luck

cathy

I went through something similar--feeling both sad and frustrated as my relationship with food had to change. I learned a lot about myself and how much I used food to comfort myself for physical and emotional pain relief. Now just a week shy of 4 months post-op (not that long out) I'm starting to feel a more normal relationship with food, I'm assuming the type that normal people feel??

Good luck in this transition process!

Hi InternetAngel - welcome to VST - we're glad you decided to come out in public and share your story and thoughts with us. I think whatever you are feeling this soon after surgery is normal - everyone's normal is different, as everyone's relationship with food is different - hang in there, follow your doctor's post-op diet and each day will get better. Feel free to ask questions or vent here - no one will judge you and everyone will offer you thoughts and suggestions on how to deal with what you are feeling.

Welcome InternetAngel. you will find a bunch of support here. I lurked for months before posting also. Getting my courage up I guess. I am so thankful for this board. I have learned to use my new tool, and not hurt myself. and, have been able to vent a bit too. Mostly I wind up seeing the humorus side to things, which is a relief!

Happy to have a new sleeve sister.

Hi InternetAngel ... My name is Madelyn and I am a newbie to the site. My surgery is scheduled for December 14th. I am really nervous about it - ESPECIALLY the situation that you are experiencing now. I KNOW

that I have used food as a "solution" to problems/conflicts my whole life and I am definately going to "morn" the loss of my "buddy". I wish I had an easy answer to what you are going through ... I don't. But, this site seems to be really supportive; with alot of folks who have been through it and come out the other side. We are all struggling with trying to find healthy ways to deal with issues that we used food as the solution for - so, keep coming to the boards when you are feeling dowjn - vent, cry, whatever it takes to get over it. I am certain that you, as well as I, will find the right way to "deal" if we just open ourselves up to trying a new way.

You CAN do this. There are alot of folks "rooting" for you!:)

I had the operation 6 weeks ago and I can relate to how you're feeling! I haven't been crying, but it is a big adjustment. I still have trouble buying little enough food: things keep getting past their sell-by date in the fridge and it makes me crazy having to throw that much money away... But I did calculate that I'd save the money I put on the operation in smaller food bills in 4-5 years anyway. While you're on the liquid/mashed food diet it also gets boring not eating, but once you can eat a tiny bit of everything it helped for me at least. Good luck!

Jolanda - try freezing small portions - then the "sell by" date won't matter. I also have a seal-a-meal thingy and I use it ALOT - keeps everything fresh and keeps it from spoiling as quick; plus keeps freezer burn off if you freeze items.

I acdtually think I am spending more money on food!

I'll go out to eat for lunch.. and can only eat a few bites.. take it home for dinner and with my work schedule.. I don't want to eat that late..... then it goes bad.

I shop and everything looks good... I buy more things.. thinking I'll make this or that... and my freezer is FULL!! I end up not cooking like I should!

Then when I cook.... it's always way too much for just me.... so I have alot of meals in the freezer too!

I'm not eating like I should..... or should I say... just not eating?I think thats alot of my problem not losing right now :(

As you can see, we have and/or are mourning our comfort of food. I didn't realize how much I used food until thanksgiving... I managed to get through two weddings (one was my son's and the other my favorite nephew). Financial distress came and my comfort food was not there for me....

We can do this, it just takes time and patience (which I definitely lack). Welcome abroad!!!