Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to this in Dallas with questions and fears...

....so about me. I've been overweight as long as I can remember, and I'm 41 years old. I work for a major airline, and my hubby of 21 years works for Mary Kay. No kids but tons of travel and we have furry babies too!

I always said no to surgery even as I watched others at work go through the process. I am very interested now that I've read about the sleeve, and I'm scheduled for Dr. Nicholson's seminar on Wednesday, October 28. I'm one to investigate things to death, but when I decide on something, I'm ready to move.

I've spent the last week really checking this out as best I can, and I'm excited for the seminar. I have United Healthcare Choice Plus, and all I know so far is that they do cover the surgery. I forgot to ask if they require the six month diet. I was doing WW from January through August, so maybe that will qualify.

Anyone use Dr. Nicholson and have advise, suggestions, etc? I'm so ready for a difference in my already blessed life. I want weight to stop being a source of limitation.

Hi.

I'm from Dallas area also and had my surgery with Dr. Nicholson on August 4th. My insurance had a WLS exclusion, so I was self pay. I don't regret my decision at all - it was the best thing I could have done for myself. My only regret is that I didn't get the Sleeve earlier. Go to Dr. Nick's seminar and let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to help.

Hi! I am flying up from Austin to attend the Nicholson clinic on 10/28 as well. I too had wanted to "just buckle down" and lose the weight - of course that has happened and been regained more times than I can count. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Wow! Such speedy replies, ladies!

Thanks so much for your offer of help, Linda. It's great to know that you used Dr. Nicholson too. From your ticker, it looks like you are doing great! Awesome!! I will definitely check back in with you after the seminar.

Barbannn--look forward to meeting you on Wednesday! We should plan to "meet" there.

I'm really getting excited/terrified/nervous about all of this. I'm calling the insurance company back tomorrow to find out more about the presurgery requirements. But, if they stall, I am prepared to pay out of pocket too. Lord knows I've spent that sort of money on far less important things over the years!

Bluecats and Barbann - welcome to the VST famiy -- we're happy to have you join us - it will be great the two of you can go through this together - there's a certain bond when that happens -- and since Linda had the same surgeon, it will be good for you to have someone answer questions with regard to that specific surgeon. Keep us posted on how the seminar goes and with any questions you might have afterwards.

I'm originally from Texas (out in Parker County, Weatherford, Tx), but lived in Bedford for much of my adult life. I had to get into the city after graduation. The country life was no longer for me.

Anyways, I hope the seminar goes great, and I agree with Vegas, that it's great that you 2 will be able to go through this together.

I've heard great things about Dr. Nick, and will be keeping up with your progress.

I think when we travel back to Texas in December. All of "Dallas" girls should get together one day for lunch or dinner.

That's a fabulous idea! It's so nice to know that you aren't in this all by yourself. Thank God for the avenues we have these days to connect to others in the same proverbial boat as we are in!

Hi and welcome to the boards!!:thumbup:

Any type of surgery is a big decision......... so all I can offer to you is that it WAS THE BEST DECISION I EVER MADE!

I too am a self pay- and researched for years, wondering if it was worth the money I spent......... YES IT WAS!!

I would not have been able to continue working in the field that I'm in....

I'm healthier, and more focused. I wish you the best of luck in your decision.

I would love that too! I am now an Austin-gal, but grew up in Euless and my daughter lives in Dallas. I am in the area all the time. I am hoping to have my procedure done in December, so you would all be my inspiration. (And some courage too!) It is wonderful to have support from those who have made it successfully to the other side. This website is a blessing, but it would be great to see your faces and hear your voices.

I agree. We're hoping to be stationed in San Antonio, but John has to change career fields in the Air Force, and it's a major process. He wants me to be close to family, and 4 hours is way better than 14 hours.

I'll definitely let everyone know when we head that way. I'm not sure of the exact dates, but it will be during the kiddo's Christmas break. I just haven't decided if it's going to be the week of Christmas, or the week following.

Most of my friends are in the D/FW area, and I have a few friends scattered through San Antonio, Austin and Houston. So, me coming to Texas is an event ha ha ha.

It'll be great for all of us to get together. I'll leave the husband and kiddo with the fam, and we have a day or night out. This made me even more excited about our trip.

We will be at Walt Disney Word (yes, we have no kids, but we are Disney Vacation Club owners and are big kids ourselves I suppose!) from December 18-27, but home the week between Christmas and New Years.

I suspect I will be waiting until January to have surgery, that's if insurance is the way I go. My husband has two more shoulder surgeries scheduled this year, so I don't see me fitting another in. That said, if the ball rolls fast, it would be nice to start the new year knowing I was already on my way!

Just popping in to welcome our new members. We are definitely excited to have you join our family.

We will be at Walt Disney Word (yes, we have no kids, but we are Disney Vacation Club owners and are big kids ourselves I suppose!) from December 18-27, but home the week between Christmas and New Years.

I suspect I will be waiting until January to have surgery, that's if insurance is the way I go. My husband has two more shoulder surgeries scheduled this year, so I don't see me fitting another in. That said, if the ball rolls fast, it would be nice to start the new year knowing I was already on my way!

We are NEW DVC members as well and going to Disneyworld for Thanksgiving. We are so excited. I have two boys 8 & 4 and are staying at AK. I have a mini goal of being under 185 before our trip - 4.2 lbs to go. WhooHoo!

We are NEW DVC members as well and going to Disneyworld for Thanksgiving. We are so excited. I have two boys 8 & 4 and are staying at AK. I have a mini goal of being under 185 before our trip - 4.2 lbs to go. WhooHoo!

Why did I know someone else was going to be DVC Members? God is amazing!! We've been Members since 2002, and our home resort is Beach Club. We love it! While we don't have children, we will always cherish the memories we've shared with my parents and my grandmother. She passed away in August 2008 unexpectedly, and those Disney memories are in our hearts for sure! Animal Kingdom Lodge was our first stay, and it remains one of my very favorite resorts. Just the smell of the place is amazing!

I would love to make my next visit to WDW one where I didn't focus so much on food!

I think I found a special place here on this forum!