Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any other Canadians out there?

I am from ontario.....what about ohip? I hear that if you qualify you can have it across the border in the states.....I had mine done over seas and paid way to much for it but it was worth it

from edmonton, alberta here, went through dr almanza and had an uneventful surgery...had some challenges after, but it had nothing to do with who did the surgery and where. just thought i would put my two cents in with forever 30 :blink:

I went to Tijuana Mexico for my sleeve. All the crap that is said about bad Tijuana I did not experience one bit. The hotel we stayed at was beautiful. You can probably book down there for like 2-3 weeks if you really want to speed things up.

I'm from BC Canada. Got tired of waiting for procedure to be done in Victoria (after 3 /1/2 years and 2 more to go) and switched to doctor in Richmond BC very glad I did. I may have to wait a year but while I'm waiting I have a support network set up by my surgeon to properly prepare me for surgery. I really have a good feeling this time.

Darlene

I just thought of another question. What did everyone say at Customs in US/Canada for the reason you are leaving the country? Or on the forms you fill out? I usually put vacation, but then again this is not a vacation. I am going to Tijuana for my surgery. I fly out on November 8 and return November 13.

Hey,

Did anybody ever respond to the customs question? I'm flying to San Diego on the 26th and just wondering what to tell customs too.

You are not going to work so it is not business. I think all other things fall under pleasure even if it is surgery. I stayed a couple of days before in San Diego so I was telling the truth that it was pleasure.

Hello Canadians!

I'm in red deer, AB and I will be getting the sleeve from dr. Farries or one of the other 2 doctors working with him now.

I was on the waiting list, started seeing dr.gregg in jan 2011 but then for some reason I got an overwhelming feeling that I was going to die. I just knew if I went thru with it that would be the end for me. Sooooo I hired a personal trainer, worked with a nutritionist, worked my butt off for months, started running, tried body by vi and here I am a year later back on the waiting list. I would have my sleeve by now if I stuck to it. But I'm glad I gave it my alll one more time so that I could really say I tried! I have learned valuable information over the last year and continued researching the sleeve. All of these things will help me out when its my turn and hopefully I won't have to wait too long!

Hey,

Did anybody ever respond to the customs question? I'm flying to San Diego on the 26th and just wondering what to tell customs too.

I put pleasure. When they asked I said surgery. They didn't ask or care which surgery.

I and at least two others from Saskatoon are here as members.

I didn't even try to get thru our system, just went straight to Mexico,

had the surgery Monday and home now and feeling like it was the best decision I ever made.

My cost?

$100 for the passport, $5000 for the surgery and airfare, $28 for comprehensive travellers medical coverage, and that was about it. Have had to take out a $5000 line of credit at my bank but worth every penny!

hi, i,m from manitoba, i,m getting my surgery done in mexico. did you find any insurance that would cover you if a complication was to arise with the surgery?

hi everyone, i,m from manitoba, i really don,t feel i have time to wait 2-5 years for the surgery here, so i,m heading to mexico for it. is there anyone from manitoba in here?

I'm canadian.. live in Ontario. I had my sleeve done in Mexico last week, but not with Almanza. I realize what I am about to say is second-hand, but it is from 2 other surgeons mouths and from having a friend who went with Almanza in February who has had nothing but problems. They all say... Don't go there. You have other options. Go to a hospital setting. Don't end up with complications and problems. I realize you are waiting to have this done at home, but if you do consider Mexico please do your research and be very diligent and speak to many, many people. Be smart! People who boast about how great Almanza is, or ANY surgeon for that matter could work for that surgeon and be getting paid to get you there. If I told you all the things I learned while away you would be stunned! The people who work for the surgeons, the surgeons themselves and the companies that promote wls all know about this forum and are free to join up and write whatever they want to. Just be smart smile.gif

i found that if you go to your browser and type in bad reveiws on dr ---------- you will be amazed what you will read, its well worth doing, it sure changed my mind on which surgeon i would use

so you mean to tell me that you paid 1200$ for your surgery?

so i take it if you were to break down the tests, hospital and hotel accomodation from the surgery it ends up cheaper? how long ago was ur surgery and what have been your side effects?

ALSO can any one tell me where to find a thread about side effects/ bad experiences:ohmy:

just go to your browers and type in bad reviews,dr.----------- just fill in the name you will find alot of blogs on dr,s that way. i hope this helps

Hi, Im from Alberta and Im going to Puerto Vallarta to be sleeved by Dr Lopez on Oct. 20. Can hardly wait

Hi, Im from Alberta and Im going to Puerto Vallarta to be sleeved by Dr Lopez on Oct. 20. Can hardly wait

i,m just waiting for my financing to go through then i will book it. i have al;ready started to do my pre op sort of. i have lost 17 pounds in 14 days

I and at least two others from Saskatoon are here as members.

I didn't even try to get thru our system' date=' just went straight to Mexico,

had the surgery Monday and home now and feeling like it was the best decision I ever made.

My cost?

$100 for the passport, $5000 for the surgery and airfare, $28 for comprehensive travellers medical coverage, and that was about it. Have had to take out a $5000 line of credit at my bank but worth every penny![/quote']

Hi who was your doctor ?