Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anxiety Around Food?

I was sleeved Sept 15th. in Colombia. I have had an amazing recovery no Constipation, no vomiting, incisions healed great, physically I seem to be perfect. My problems seem to be more mental. Before my surgery I was concerned about the fact that I didnt have any counseling and now Im scared that I may have needed to speak to someone professionally.

The day before my surgery I went to the mall and went to the food court with my mom cause she was hungry and I had some kind of anxiety attack the smells...the people around me eating... kfc...mcdonalds....the fact that i was not sleeved and starving from the liquid diet made me sweat and panick I even started to cry we got my moms food to go and had to leave......

Ive been sleeved now for a week and 2 days. Yesterday I had a similar experience. We went to the swap shop. Its kind of like an outside flea market / fair place. Food everywhere. I got the anxiety again. The smells. Remembering what food taste like looking at signs and pictures of burgers and fried chicken funnel cakes and gyros corn on the cob and friend fries...

I dont know its like I get annoyed and mad at the fact that Im missing those things.. Im not feeling the hunger sensation like before my surgery but I think i do feel a little grumble in my belly when I see those things I use to indulge in.

Right now Im still on the liquid diet and I may just be emotional about being on it. from 8am-11pm every three hours all I have is my 4oz of Protein Shakes, apple juice, pureed blended Soup, Jello, apple sauce, and thats it... Its getting really routine and bland and boring. I cant wait to start mushie foods and regular foods...

I guess I just want to know if anyone else seems to get this anxiety despite being sleeved, and not really having an appetite and just missing food in general. :001_tt2:

What you're feeling is actually pretty normal. Think about it, for most of us, food is our best friend. We turn to it when we are happy, sad, mad, anxious, you name it, food was always there for us. Once you have the sleeve surgery, you tend to go through a bit of a mourning period, primarily while on the liquid diet.

Once you get back to solids, you will see there isn't anything you really can't eat. Sure, you need to make healthy choices most of the time. But, even skinny people who don't need weight loss surgery have treats. I allow myself treats. The difference is, I am now able to enjoy just a few bites and be satisified as opposed to binging and gaining weight. I don't get upset when I am full, because I know I will be able to have and enjoy that food again, just not right now.

I promise, you will feel much, much better once you are off of liquids. Be strong, you can do this and we are here for you.

That is so true, Susan. Even my NUT and counselor from LapSF said it is ok to taste something now & then when you are allowed to have reg foods. During the liquid phase, nothing, not even a bite. That could put you back in the hospital w/serious complications. But, in due time, your stomach will be completely healed, and you will eat like a skinny person! Yay!

You are normal I promise. Honestly I probably cried every single day of my liquid only phase. I did not have buyers remorse I just felt plain left out. Now that I can eat some mushies I am doing much better.

If you feel you need professional help don't feel dumb or embarrassed about getting some. You have lost a huge crutch you have used for years to get through tough times. This is a major lifestyle change. What we go through before, during, and after surgery can't be discounted.

You are strong! Stay out of food situations. I had to stay out of grocery stores and ignore signs for food, looking the other way. You can do this just don't torture yourself by being in those areas.

I havent been Sleeved yet (10/09/09), and I am feeling like that. The difference is that I am stuffing my fat face. EVERYTHING I want I am eating. Like this is the last time I will eat ANYTHING. Its crazy because I'm not even hungry. I hate that I am doing this, but I feel as if I have no control. AHHHHHHHHH :mad0: I need the sleeve now, or I will but my own HUGE stomach. What is wrong with me?:cursing:

I think this is my way of grieving. The fact that I will no longer be able to gorge! :angry: I stuffed my self right now with Carne asada nachos .. and now I feel like i am about to burst. I feel so stuffed that I want to go make myself upchuck! Its hurting .... did anyone do this before they got sleeved?:001_smile::sad0: This is so frustrating :crying:

I went through something similar, but instead of anxiousness, I would get repulsively nauseated. I avoided being in the same room when son would eat. I was able to cook for him as long as the meal was quick and simple. Certain food smells, made me very sick. Even certain cleaning products made me want to hurl. My sense of smell was extremely heightened for at least 2 months post-op. I can just now use th Scrubbing bubbles shower cleaner.

And I agree with the above replies, once you move to mushies/soft foods, some of these feelings will subside. Right now, since I can eat whatever I want, I am missing the mongolian grill with spicy asian sauce, beef and noodles. I know that I would not be able to eat more than 2 bites so I avoid that place.That's the only place that I am missing, and avoiding at this time. My other hurdle is when I eat out with people, and I order just a cup of Soup, the waiter asks me several times "ma'am are you sure that's all you want?" It was a little embarassing. But, I'm learning to familiarize myself with the menu before just jumping to the salad/soup section. Sorry for the ramble, just thought I'd share what I'm dealing with at this moment.

I havent been Sleeved yet (10/09/09), and I am feeling like that. The difference is that I am stuffing my fat face. EVERYTHING I want I am eating. Like this is the last time I will eat ANYTHING. Its crazy because I'm not even hungry. I hate that I am doing this, but I feel as if I have no control. AHHHHHHHHH :mad0: I need the sleeve now, or I will but my own HUGE stomach. What is wrong with me?:cursing:

I think this is my way of grieving. The fact that I will no longer be able to gorge! :angry: I stuffed my self right now with Carne asada nachos .. and now I feel like i am about to burst. I feel so stuffed that I want to go make myself upchuck! Its hurting .... did anyone do this before they got sleeved?:thumbdown::confused1: This is so frustrating :crying:

I had my "Last Suppers" at a couple of mine and my son's favorite restaurants. We ate a little bit of everything from everywhere. Then I started the required pre-op diet 1 week before surgery. Just remember once you're off the post op diet, you can still eat all your favorite foods, it will be a smaller portion, and if you overeat, it will give you that "totally stuffed" feeling. It isn't pleasant, but I don't think when I overate at Thanksgiving was really pleasant either. I had to unzip my pants, or change into lounge pants so I could fit in more broccoli cheese casserole.

Also remember, any weight you gain right now has to be lost post-op. That's just extra pounds that will have to come off.

I did that too, the compulsive overeating prior to the VG. It is not the same after the surgery. You will think you are pigging out if you have 800 calories, a big difference. And, you will not have the same compulsion to overeat as before, in fact I didn't want to eat at all the first two weeks. But, I did get very tired of only liquids towards the end. I followed their plan, and when on mushies, I also blended lunch meat w/light mayo. But, I could only eat 1 oz per meal and it took 20 minutes. Your stomach is very swollen the first couple weeks, and the hunger hormone is gone. I did miss the taste of food by week 3. But if you put it in a blender, eat just a bite, very slowly, when allowed to do so, it will satifies you.

Go ahead, don't worry about it right now. You will get everything back in time, but in moderation this time.

There is a great book out there called "Exodus from Obesity" and other great books I can email the names of later, if you want. Counseling helps too.

Edited by Steph_123

I feel bad because I feel like I took over her post, but it just seemed right up my alley. I have NEVER been like this though. Even though I am over weight, I have NEVER gorged like this. Its not like me at all. Will need to control myself. Dont want to have surgery and be fatter. I didnt even have to make myself throw up .. it came up on its own, now I feel better. Thanks for the comments. I thought I was the only one stuffing myself. I would love to read those books you mentioned .. please post. Thanks again

i pretty much locked myself in the house and told my hubby that he had to fend for himself for the 2 week pre op and 2 week post of fluids. i was getting angry and him for being able to eat, and going to the mall was like tiptoeing through a mine feild of smells that would bring me a deep rage, but you know what? that was when i realised that *places like this are why im fat* you know..... its an obstical to get through the shopping centre without running into something.... if you go 1 way in the shops you are greeted with the donut stand!! if you go in the other way you got the ice cream stand AND the bakery, aromas to die for!!! you get smacked from every direction with punches that seem twice as hard as your twice as sensitive to whats NOT going in your mouth.... i realised that every time i went to the shops at least 1 of these stands would get me! then i would sit down and eat a huge kfc meal to boot!

so in the house is where i stayed as it was the only safe place were i didnt get tempted (until hubby would bring his dinner home and sit right next to me where ever i was in the house, thinking he was being sociable....silly man)

the up side is (in my opinion) this time of fasting is really time for kind of detox. i was a total chocaholic EXTREMEEEEEE chocaholic..... once i was able to eat a bit of choc it was so sweet i felt like i had a brick of sugar in my belly.... it was the most horrible feeling i had in years!!! needless to say, i havent eaten choc since!

i guess we all have our battles.... i think its part of the healing....or should i say rehab!!!! god knows i think i might of hit the nail on the head right there!!!! if you dont go through all this maybe we are not truley *rehabing*

there is a light..... i have found you can still eat things like chinese.... and normal yummy stuff but you dont have to pay as much!!! its great...have saved soooo much money on small portions or kiddies meals!!!!!!! <grins>

enough of my jibbering... good luck...hope to be a bit of a help

cheers

ange.

I think this is my way of grieving. The fact that I will no longer be able to gorge! :angry: I stuffed my self right now with Carne asada nachos .. and now I feel like i am about to burst. I feel so stuffed that I want to go make myself upchuck! Its hurting .... did anyone do this before they got sleeved?:thumbdown::confused1: This is so frustrating :crying:

I had so many food funerals it was stupid. You are going to be ok I promise and I feel this behavior is your food addict trying to get in one last hoorah before it knows the unlimited party it has been enjoying is over. You won't be taking orders from the addict anymore and you will be loving it.

I would suggest honestly tring to stop when you feel full right now. It is hard but chew slower and enjoy the food.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Walk a lot so you don't gain too much weight that you will have to lose after surgery and every pound increases your risk for complications. You want to be a around to be a mom!

When I was on the post op diet I did not go anywhere where there would be any food.

I live alone so I didn't have to fix meals for anyone. I avoided anyplace where I knew I would see food.< /strong>

Now that I am almost 5 months past my surgery, I can eat anything I want. I am satisfied with the small amount I can eat.

I do have days where I eat candy and things I am not supposed to eat, and they go down just fine. I haven't gained weight when I do this because my meals are small.

You will get used to eating like a sleeved person. You will get through this! You might want to write to Steph and get some of the books that she offered to send the names of if you feel like you're going to need extra help.

There is a great book out there called "Exodus from Obesity" and other great books I can email the names of later, if you want. Counseling helps too.

I SO just went through this as I prep for my VG on Tuesday. Steph could you please post the other books that you find helpful in my/our "rehab."

Thank you so much!