Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

So sorry to rant and not come back for a while. I was really thinking about jumping off the nearest bridge after my Tuesday incident. Have been reading around the forum and think Broccoli, cooked or not, is the devil... so no more for me. I have been crying and freting and quiting for so long now, I did not know what else to do. But then my hubby picked me back up... like he always does.

I still have issues with hard Proteins in the AM, but I have found something that helps... TOFU. I have resorted back to my macrobiotic/atkins ways and I can feel the difference. Have been drinking a shake for Breakfast, eating a light lunch and a hard Protein dinner (pork, and actually got down chicken salad).

I had forgotten how easy Tofu makes things, and how good it can be. Now I am not swearing off meat, just using what works for me for now. I will be on day 4 off of carbs totally tomorrow. That will be my worst day... and I am going to the in-laws. They do not know I am banded, so it will be fun. DH says that if the things they have to offer don't work for me... just claim tummy ache, and if they notice I have lost weight I will claim low carb eating.

I need to change my ticker, as I am now down 23 lbs. (Yeah!) Hoping that it falls off faster now that I have sworn off ice cream (even low carb kind) and have found tofu again.

I am going to put some receipes on the mushies thread. The things I have "rediscovered" might help some others too.

Wish me luck tomorrow, and good luck to everyone else!

Pinkylee- thank you for the support. It really meant alot to me...

Hi, I haven't posted for a while because I am so saddened and truly depressed over my lack of success with this band. I have the VG 10 cc band and I have had 2 fills and I have absolutely no restriction I can eat 90% of what I ate before. The 15 pounds I lost, I have gained back 5 since the last fill. The doctor tells me it is my fault, I'm not working with the band. I really am trying to eat right, but when you eat too much of a good think, that's not gonna help you lose. I'm a vegetarian so eating enough Proteins is essential and I work very hard on that. Of course, I'm not perfect, sometimes I do blow it, but for the most part, I'm pretty good. I even work out a few days a week and drink a ton of Water. Nothing. I'm eating between 1100 - 1400 calories a day. Nothing. I'm thinking that I'm just one of those people that has to eat 800 or less to lose. I go for another fill on Thursday. I am going to desperately beg him to please give me a large fill. He does not do fluoro. If this fill doesn't do it again, then I am just going to fly to Mexico to have Dr. Joya give me a good strong fill. Is anyon else a failure like me? I am so jealous (but still happy for y'all) over your successes. I would love to have that feeling again of restriction I had for the 1st 2 weeks after surgery *sigh*

Well, this is my first time ever being on a message board, but I need help. I was banded on June 23, 2006 and the past two months have been the worst of my life. It appears that there may be a leak in my band -- when I went for my 2nd fill last Thursday, there was nothing in the band despite the surgeon having put 2cc's in on July 28. Talk about frustration!!

I did feel a bit of restriction for 3 days following the first fill and nothing for the next four weeks. I'm 10 weeks out from surgery and I've only lost 14lbs. I don't eat between meals (I think it's amazing how my cravings have subsided), I don't drink sodas or any carbonated beverages, no ice cream, no milkshakes -- I'm pretty much by the book, although I do give in to potato chip cravings every now and then... :-)

My doctor says that the port may have to be replaced. I dred the idea of having surgery ever again!! I'm seeking a second opinion... Has anyone else had a similar experience? I pray everyday that things will get better, but they seem to be worsening...

I am going through the SAME THING - I have had no success and the last time I was at the Dr. he said I may have a leak too. I go on the 7th for next fill and too see if I really do have a leak. I had lost around 15 pounds and now I've gained back five. I had my surgery on the 26th.

One thing I have been researching is that with the VG larger band, sometimes they look like there may be a leak but there's actually little sections in the band and it takes a few fills before everything stays. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is what it is....

Keep in touch please :think

Beacheegirl, I just had my first fill. I to have the VG 10 cc band. I have had no restriction whatsoever. I mean I do feel full sooner and am eating less...but more than I know I should. I go through spurts where I keep my calorie intake down and then I have spurts where everything is such a temptation. I had my fill last Tuesday...4 cc's...still no rstriction. I don't have a fill Dr. close so it means flying down to Mexico everytime I need a fill. So, I will have to wait a few months before I can go again. I am like Pinkylee, trying to stay away from the carbs. I know I can master this thing...It is just taking longer than I hoped. Good luck to you and keep your chin up. You are probably losing more inches than pounds! This week is going to be better for all of us!!! Go Junbies! We can do it, yes we can!!!

I have the VG band as well, it took 3 fills for me to get what is still not 'perfect' restriction, I am losing though, and I do have a reduction in hunger, but I find in the evenings I can still pack it away if I choose to. My restriction is just fine for the morning and daytime, but evening I seem to be so-so. My Dr. did my fills 1 week apart. - He just has us do soft foods the rest of the day after the fill and back to regular solids the day after. I can't remember now exactly how much I have in there... I think it's 6cc's. It's a learning curve, I have had a couple of PB's from eating too fast with not chewing well enough. But if I follow bandster rules... the band works for me. It's still so very new to us, I think it takes some time to settle in to finding what works for each of us with our bands.

I've not posted in a while, but have kept up the reading. I too have the VG band. I've had two fills. I don't feel I have restriction - but my food cravings have been curbed. I'm thankful for that. It's my understanding that with the VG, it can be at least 3 to 5 fills before you hit restriction. MY band doc takes it slow and easy on fills - always under floro and 4 to 6 weeks apart. I really do trust his expertise and skill. Thats why I selected him as my surgeon. BUT, it is frustrating that I seem to be off to a slow start compared to others. However, I have not ever PB'd, slimed or golf balled. I attribute that to the fact that the doc does use floro, not to just hit the port, but to see how the pouch is emptying with the barium swallow. He adjusts the fill until the pouch is emptying just at the "perfect" rate. So, I need to stop comparing my amount lost to others and do the best I can to work with my band. Easier said than done. It's gonna take awhile. I gotta love myself enough to stick it out. Glad ya'll are here to make the journey more pleasurable.

Terry :rolleyes:

I too have a 10cc band and have had 3 fills as well. I feel restriction on some things and only wish it was like when I first got the fill 2 weeks ago. I do know it works and looking forward to having the fill that finally sticks!

Well what a weekend. I'm still not able to eat and getting just some liquids. I PB on the silliest things like boost. I ate some tortillia chips out of frustration and lo behold it stayed down. Now what's up with that. I put some cheese sauce on them to get some Protein. Water, room temperature, still hurts if I drink too much. I haven't tried anything today so we'll see how that goes.

I have never really felt restriction. I just try to stop when I think I've had enough. Getting the right fill amount is a challenge. The VG bands do have those sections in them and when they take out it looks like you lost saline. My doctor explained all that to me. I just have a 10cm band so its max is 4cc. The VG takes 10cc so it might take many fills to get the right restriction.

Also, it can sneak up to you. It may happen weeks after the fill. I am stil preplexed as to why I am having so much trouble. I thought I ate a too big piece of waterchestnut. Now I'm wondering. I can get stuff through so I'm not blocked. I have agitated my esphogus, but have been on liquids. How long should it take to get straighted out?

Going shopping today. I've got to get a few things to wear to work. Hang in there Junebies. We're going to make this. I'm looking forward to the tofu dishes Poodles. I've never tried it.

Good to hear from all of you.

Poodles--All I can say is YEAH! Buying Tofu today. If you know a good brand our source--please inform us.

Looks like all of us are similar, but no one is the same! Today is turning over a new leaf day for me. I've been acting like someone at goal on maintenance.

TexasTerry, Chako Lady, BeacheeGirl, Carol134--good luck with your fills, etc. Keep us posted on your progress. Thanks for letting us know how you are.

Barbara--Glad to know you're not "stuck". I think you're on the right track with mushies for your esophagus problems, I felt better last week (finally) after I began blending protein--even tuna. Not as tasty--but soothing.

Pinky - My friend gave me some note pads that said "put on your big girl panties and deal with it" it was next to me when I signed up, so that is how I have my name. I went to LB 2 weeks ago and bought some new sassy bras, they make it look like I have a waist!

Also, my Dr. says not to drink for 30 minutes before eating, I have fudged on it a few times and had a problem.

- your friendly july lurker

So what do you suggest I do now. I feel like I have a huge golf ball anytime I drink or eat in my chest. I haven't had much of anything now for 3 days. I got a few bites of very runny scrambled egg in before I couldn't stand the pain anymore. It doesn't matter if its Water, coffee, boost, or solids. I am trying to get some water in by sipping, but not getting in much. I end up with burbs and hiccuping. What's up with this? Should I go for an unfill tomorrow? I just don't know what to do.

barbara465 - I would go for a complete unfill. I'm worried for you, there is always the remote possibility that you have had a slip. Sometimes a complete unfill can reset the band if you have had a mild slip. I would definitely be in contact with your surgeon. Regardless, a complete unfill may give you a chance to heal from all the agitation from PBing. Health first. We're here for you.

BigGirlPantiez - I think we should make you an honourary Junbie! :)

XO

Leila

Hi all! I just came back from my first fill. I got 1.2cc I am on liquids for the next 3 days. I just signed back up with my former personal trainer too. I'm sorry for those who are struggling. I don't have any wise words except keep trying and keep posting. Happy Labor Day!

socalgal3 -

Hooray! You are doing so well! I have my first fill on Wednesday.

You are near my height/weight and age so I'm going to try and watch your progress. I'm so exicted for my first fill. Lately I feel like I haven't even had this surgery. In the last week or two, I've felt no restriction and have been eating plenty. Cross your fingers for me!!

Barb,

I too am going through this after my 2nd fill last Tuesday. I have a medium band, first fill was 2cc's, was eating too much, then asked for 1/2cc more. He said to go real easy, but didn't have to do liquids. I find that I have to do liquids in a.m. and noon. Can't get anything through. I've thown up over 4 times in the last week. The silliest things so down, popcorn, crackers, small and only a couple bites of crisp lettuce, and of course ice cream (that's a no no). The things I think will go down, won't. Creamy eggs, noodles, meats get stuck. Once I had chix nuggets @ Wendy's and they went down with a lot of sauce. Even sometimes Water doesn't want to go down. Don't have any explanation for this either. Tonight, I took it real slow and managed 5 bites of Al Fredo noodles w/sausage bits, 1/2 a deviled egg, and that was my 1/4 cup for supper. I think we just have to give it some time and go slow and careful like the doc said. Good luck!

PS: popcorn went down last night, but I don't recommend eating it in public!!!!! or at all. (We went to the movies)

ofps