Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

I went to the doctor today, but he decided I don't need a fill. He said my weight loss is excellent, asked me if I felt restricted (I do), congratulated me and sent me on my way. He said some people just have a restriction without the fill, and he was concerned that I would be too tight with one.

So eight more weeks, but I'm not complaining. I'm rarely hungry, get full after 3 oz of meat or fish, have to work to get 1200 calories in a day, and lost 3 pounds on my vacation last week, though I drank wine with dinner almost every night. I should say, though, I follow the eating plan pretty religiously, I walk a half hour almost every day, and I drink 64 oz of liquids or close to it every day (even on vacation).

Back to the Water challenge...

Cathy that's great. As long as you are losing you won't need a fill. Your weight loss so far is phenomenal. You are really working the band. Keep it up and maybe you will never need a fill. I saw one on here who never had a fill and lost a hundred pounds. The first bands were not adjustable so it can be done.

I was wondering if any of you Houston bandsters that go to the SurgiCenter for your fills ever see your doctor? Is it just Spivak and Spiegel? Will we ever see the doctor again? It just seems a little strange to me. I read other posts of post-op doctor visits and I wonder why my doctor doesn't see his patients after the deed is done. Not that I feel any need to see him........just find it a little strange.

Barbara12--

I would call Patriece (our PR gal at surgi center who is our "cheerleader") and find out.

I'm sure it's time and money and the fill nurses do as well (maybe more gentle) on fills as the docs can.

I honestly don't think we will ever see them. More and more of them in Houston are using the surgicenter for fills, etc. I think Spivak and Spiegel are more interested in doing the surgery and getting new candidates, I mean patients. :)

This does not surprise me in the least. They are surgeons and the aftercare can be expensive in time and energy. I picked Spiegel as a surgeon, but didn't expect much from him afterwards. So for me I'm not disappointed. I think Spivak has a more caring attitude from what I read, so it might be a slight departure for him.

Unless I have problems, the surgicenter works for me. I ask their advice about fills and talk to Patrice about diet, but that's it. If I want medical advice I ask my PCP. Most surgeons in other fields, don't have aftercare that lasts for years. If you get orthopedic surgery they may watch over you while you go through rehabilitation, but that's it.

I think a great business to get in would be aftercare. We could have support groups, medical staff to assist, foods, etc. It will come you watch. Fill centers are just the beginning. This is big business. My PCP said she was approached by a well known doctor here to invest and come in on a new hospital they were building for lapband. It's not her "bag", but I told her to invest in it. It would yield a nice return for her.

OK, I've had a perfect week with Water. YEAH for me!!!!!!!!! I am definitely able to eat more than I want so a fill next week. I have about 5 weeks until my 60th birthday and I want to drop a size. Going to Hilton Head with the gals for some R&R, beach, and spa.

Hope everyone has a great day!

:update:

Water Challenge:

Barbara465--7

Pinkylee--6

PAB--3

Poodles--1

Cathy--1

Way to go Barbara. She posted that it's getting easier all the time.

A NEW CHALLENGE:

The person who posts the mosts blue smiley's (total) by September 7 will receive a $5 gift certificate from Amazon.com from me.

PLEASE PM ME IF I MISSED YOU OR GOT A NUMBER WRONG!

Hello Everyone......It has been a while since i have posted. Busy as a bee with school starting. I didn't even take the time to put my smileys on here.

I am in for the christmas challenge i have added my christmas goal in my signature line.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Hello everyone! I too haven't posted for a while. Seems like it is such a busy time of year... But, have been good drinking Water. Still trying to be more consistent with my walking. I am so excited. I just booked my flight to Tijuana to get my first fill. So Tuesday the 29th I hope to feel my first real restriction. I will be posting my Christmas goal here today. I was kinda waiting to see if I was going to be able to get a fill in soon. I have been going on sheer willpower as I haven't had ANY restriction. I do feel so much better than I did 6 months ago though, so losing 30#'s has made an improvement! Now my goal is to lose 40#'s by Christmas!

You are all such an inspiration. Weightloss is so hard and we each struggle in a different way, but we are all trying! Keep up the good work everyone.

Glad to hear from you Janelle. Are you going to visit some in Tijuana or just fly in and out? I can't believe you have gone this long on will power and no fill. Good for you and losing 30 lbs. Hope it goes well for you. Remember to take it easy after the fill for a few days. Mine is 3 days liquids and 3 days mushies. It seems just as I get on food I have to stop and go back to liquids for a fill.

Have a good trip.

Thanks Barbara! I am flying in and out. Leave Eugene at 5:20am and return home at 11:30 pm. I am so ready to stop doing this on pure willpower, and I want to see the scale going down, not staying in the same place...although I'm not complaining! At least I'm not going up! Darrin had his fill on the 10th and said our Dr. requires 3 days of liquids after the fill. He had over 3 cc's in his 10 cc band. I also have a 10 cc band, so we'll see. I understand the Mexican Dr's are pretty aggressive. I'm ready though. I'm just concerned about what I will drink all day as I can't take any liquids on the plane. Hopefully I can buy a Protein Drink in Tijuana and drink it right before I go into the airport. Then drink Water on the plane. I'll let ya know how it goes when I get back.

Good point about Water and flying, I had not even really thought about that. I had no idea what I am going to do on my business trip next week, without my Protein drink. I guess I am going to have to get up early and sip, sip sip before the flight.

Sounds like everyone is having a better week this week- YEAH US

They might be lifting the ban soon. If so, you might be able to drink your Water and Protein drink. Could you take Protein Powder with you and once passing through security buy some water? You usually have so much time before the plane that you could drink your drink while waiting. For some I guess Protein Bars would do the drink. Once airborne, water can be given out and you could mix then as well. My doctor doesn't allow us to use powder protein so not an option for me. I'm just going to plan around it.

Why no powdered Protein? I have purchased a real good powdered protein drink from costco. I just don't know how I would mix it in the airport. I thought about taking a baggie of it. I guess I will have to experiment with it this week. I'm going light. No carry on, just my purse. Hoping to get Water and Apple juice on the plane. I'm open for any suggestions

Can't you see it now - Lady gets arrested trying to bring powered Protein in a baggie! She was on her way to Tijuana. Feds thought she was taking samples of her high grade protein to the border to see if they wanted to buy some. They really got suspicious when she was also carrying a spoon. No matches, but they figured when she crossed the border she could get some. After closing the airport for 6 hours the woman was allowed to leave. Bystanders heard her mumbling about needing a fill and what was she going to do. Feds didn't know if a fill was the same as a fix so they let her go. :)

(my doctor says that you can NEVER get powder mixed up enough not to run the risk of clogging the band. Also can't have oatmeal. Makes you go ummmm )

I'm finally on my ass. It's been a slow but steady process.

Finally got to the Dr's yesterday to try to find out what's wrong with me.

First jab in the gut - I've gained 7 pounds. I know, antibiotics add,

lack of as much exercise because of my exhaustion adds, but 7 pounds?

This after 2 weeks of feel bulemic? I explained that I am not able to keep most types of Protein down. I expressed concern that I have wrecked the band.

He sent me to the lab for blood work, and then tomorrow I go in for a barium swallow.

Yesterday, was my moms one year anniversary of her death. I didn't cry, I didn't feel sorrow. I keep thinking how lucky she is to be out of all this, and that she's happy in Heaven.

Yesterday, my son moved in to his apartment, leaving his 3 year old son at the house with his mother. His heartbreak is contagious. But he's trying to make his sons room fun..

Today, I finally went out and took a long walk. Slow - but I got it done.

After 15 days of antibiotics, it's going to take me a few days to get back some energy.

But jeeze - SEVEN pounds? it was like a sledgehammer to my brain.