Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

Today is a new day that's for sure. After two days of taking MOM, MOM finally came through. :) Going to my PCP on Thursday and see what she thinks I should take to keep regular. This is becoming a real problem for me.

Let's talk fills for a minute. I'm no expert so this is my opinion and backed from loads of research. Being tight in the morning is OK, but until late afternoon seems to be extreme. Have you tried not eating much at night and cleaning out the pouch with Water before retiring? I think a slight unfill is in order. Now I know the desire to lose weight and fast, but the long term effects of being too tight are much more alarming. Also, it is very wise to eat liquids after a fill for a few days and then mushies. It gives the stomach a chance to get used to the restriction and eases you into it. Also some restrictions come later in the week from a fill. Its not that hard to do. With that, I'm climbing off my soapbox!

Today was my day to weigh. I lost 2 lbs this week and I've lost what they say I gained (4 lbs) at the last fill. So I'm feeling better today. Now I need to get it in gear. (I need my own private gym too!)

I drank so much water yesterday that I thought I was a river. I have almost stopped drinking anything else. I am feeling restriction some, and my left shoulder does tell me when I'm full. I discovered that soon after surgery and it holds true now. I don't get any other signal that I'm aware of for now.

Everyone have a great day!

Hi everyone-

I took the plunge and did the breast cancer 3 day 60 mile walk over the weekend. Yup it was hard and I think even harder for a bandit.

I had problems getting in enough food and gatorade, there was either not enough time to eat or the food was all carbs or stuff that just makes a nice paste and screams PB!! which happened to me every morning of the walk. Not to mention the blisters that I have all over my feet.

But I was commited to finishing the walk (it was for a good cause), I did take a ride for the last 6 miles because it was hot out and I knew that I did not eat or drink enough that day to ensure that I would not really be causing myself harm.

The lesson here is that- if you plan on doing any long endurance race or walk as a bandit we need to really plan out our foods and Snacks. And remember to take more sips.

It was also a good lesson for me- I really need to think about what I am eating- just because Ice Cream goes down easily that does not mean its good for me!!!

Okay, I feel like I know nothing. I haven't lost any weight in days.

I'm not sure what I am supposed to eat, and what I'm supposed to do.

My fill is ok, altho I still run to throw up stuff if I've eaten too much.

I need to drink more Water, but taking the antibiotics has really slowed me down in general. I don't have the energy.

I guess I didn't understand what the band will and won't do.

If I'm not eating, how can I not be losing weight? Without the band, if I did this, it would have fallen off.

Here I am at 8 weeks, with out feeling good - on the inside or the outside.

I lost more in the first week after surgery than I have since.

I don't sleep well, and have wild dreams when I do. I can't get more than a shake down in the am, and that's fine - but my blood sugar is taking a beating - goes up and down now ... and the lows are beginning to get me crazy - at 6am I wake up shakey. I'm going to call the Dr.

I need to figure out a goal. Because I feel like I've just been paddling for eight weeks now ... without something to really show.

( I should never write this late at night )

Randi can you go see a nutrionist. Maybe that would help get you better situated and keep the blood sugar from going up and down? Sometimes the body just won't let go of the weight and then boom it does. For some of us I think it will just take longer. If we are not eating as much as before, and better food choices, at some point the weight has to come off. Right? That's what I keep telling myself.

Maybe you need to eat more meals, but smaller. I know they want us to eat 3 meals, but if you can't and the smaller meals work better, go for it. You shouldn't feel miserable all the time. Let us know what the doctor suggests.

I think I'm still able to eat too much. I don't eat much during the day, but my evening meal I can eat more. I get all my Protein and vegetables in, and still have room for the carbs. I portion it out, but probably still too much. I also want to snack at night. It doesn't take much, but a little something. I've taken to animal crackers or a pudding cup.

I've been able to drink the Water so that's good. However, I've not been exercising. That's the next thing to add. I also think I will get a fill end of August or early September. I will be traveling the last week in September so I want a good fill, but no troubles while I'm gone.

Hope everyone has a good day and those ailing are feeling better.

;) Randi L - I still think you may be a little too tight (based on what you've stated so far - throwing up, etc.) You've been going through more than your fair share of setbacks with the infection. Please be gentle on yourself - you're not recovered from your surgery yet. Until your infection disappears and you start to feel better with that, you may be expecting too much of your body to also lose weight. I know it's frustrating, and I know when I got the band, I felt like it was going to be THE ANSWER. And it may still be. But it's going to take some time for our bodies to adjust to the foreign object in our body, the difference in intake, the change in what we eat, etc. I had two periods last month! *UGH* My body is still adjusting. Yours probably is too.

Also, girl: throw away your scale. Just throw it away. I've read too many posts to know that our weight fluctuates on a daily and even weekly basis. We can't look at the micro (days) we have to look at the macro (months) when we look at weight loss. It's the only way ;)

Also, if you're not eating, your body will stop losing weight. Your body is a complicated machine that adjusts to what we put in. If you reduce what you put in, eventually your body will learn to function on that. I'm a firm believer in adjusting what you take in on a daily basis. 1000 calories one day, 1800 the next, etc. Think MACRO - instead of looking at what you take in during a day(MICRO), look at your weekly goal of calories and work towards that. Your body won't get used to a certain intake and it will 'keep it on it's toes' so to speak.

The issues with your blood sugars sounds like you need a visit with your nutritionist to work out what type of food you take in. If you need more calories that might affect your blood sugar as well.

Set your goal at #1 feeling better. #2 then will be losing weight. It can't be before you feel better, you need your strength back up before you can tackle losing more weight. :girl_hug:

Good advice I think we are all becoming or run the risk of being scale addicts. Its not good to get into the weighing ourselves every day, if you must then you need to do a daily and take an average- compare the average on a weekly basis to get weight change. Which is the most accurate but not the most mentally healthy way to go.

Listen to your body, its not good if you cant drink Water, you will get very sick and at that juncture will it matter that you lost 2lbs or 5lbs that day?

Amiee is giving you some good advice that I think we all need to listen to if not now than maybe later!!

Thanks for posting - It was good for me to think about this.

well, my scale is moving again after 3 weeks of hanging out at the same weight. i did follow the advice of others and it helped. i too thought eating next to nothing would ensure weight loss. but, not true. i have now bumped up to the 1000 to 1200 calories per day. drinking more Water (at least 32ozs but haven't gotten up to the 64 ozs.) i have my 2 Protein supplements a day and exercise a couple of times a week. on some days i have to resort to eating something high calorie to make it to my 1000 calories but i generally make healthy choices. so, stay encouraged everyone and keep doing what you know to be the right thing. thanks for all the good advice!

Christa--Congrats on finding a new niche.

RandiL--Antibiotics will slow any weight loss--talk to your pharmacist. There may be another med choice that would help you start losing again. How long will you be on them? Christa's plan is my same plan. I count calories and if I'm below 900--I eat some fruit--or whatever! I don't have any sweets in the house. They would make getting cals easier--but I know I'd cave in to them even if I didn't need calories. I am weak!

Ok--I'm finally going for that second fill. Scheduled for Tues. a.m. The only time I get a stop signal is if I eat too fast or don't chew properly. I'm enjoying this, but the weight loss is probably due to increased activity--which has caused some new aches and pains in my 55 year old joints.

Water Challenge ends tonight for this week. I'll try to post results tomorrow a.m. The blue smiley's are still keeping me honest! I'm proud ta' be a Junebie! (That's Texan for "I sure like you guys and appreciate the info and support I get from reading your posts!)

Thanks everyone for your positive comments. It's easy to get down.

I did a round of 5 days - hard core anti-biotic, now I'm half way done on my 4x a day for 10 day one. I'm tired all day - and today, gave in to a nap. Drinking more Water, but the eating is off. Protein Shake in the morning, fish for lunch, tried meat tonite - no way. I'm eating crackers tonite - with Peanut Butter. and of course that stays down.

I'm calling my Dr tomorrow to make an appt with the nutritionist, and to see what he thinks...

Glad you are doing a little better Randi. I know it must be hard, but hang in there.

I went to my PCP today. She said the hard spot below my breast is definitely scar tissue from the band around my stomach. Made me feel better. Everything looks good, but will wait for results from blood work. She said my thyroid could be causing the Constipation. Umm, that would be interesting. I am off of 2 meds. I was able to get 1 of my meds in liquid so I guess my DH will still be crushing meds each morning. :)

She was also pleased with my weight loss. Of course I'm not, but then I realized it has only been 8 weeks next Monday. If the average is 2 lbs a week, then I'm doing great. Need to put this all in perspective.

I have decided I definitely need a slight fill. We are having a dinner party on the 19th for DH birthday so I'm going to wait until the wk of the 21st. My doctor has us on liquids/mushies for 6 days after a fill. I don't want to take a chance that I won't be able to eat anything. :P

I did pretty good on the Water challenge this week, except for the weekend. I will try to do better this week.

We have a good list for the reunion, but not many for the Christmas exchange or the Christmas challenge. If you want to participate please PM with the details. Friday is the deadline so let me hear from you.

Your right Barbara --we have to keep our weight loss in perspective. But of course, that is easier said than done. I lost 2 to 2.5 pounds right before my second fill last week. I haven't lost since. I have noticed a HUGE difference in my clothes this week. Especially my pants. They are becoming baggier. I want to wait at least another 5 to 10 pounds down before I buy some new pants.

To my "LOSER" Friends -- keep your chin up and keep looking straight ahead!!! The journey has just begun.......

Melissa Lea

Called to make an appt - can't see him till next Wednesday.

A little over an hour ago, I started to eat refried Beans with an avocado.

It's taken me an hour now to hurl it out, burp it out, spit it out, hiccup it out, and the pain has been bigger than I've experienced thus far.

The fear that I've done something to the band is overwhelming.

My stomach continues to growl, and grumble, and this is too much for me.

I had hoped for a tool, and I've seen some of you have such great success. I'm feeling like this is failing.

all this, and I've been invaded by ants for over a week, and after killing a million three hundred thousand four hundred and eleven of them, I'm feeling like that's failing too.

My back hurts from all the bent over action - what a great way to start the dang weekend.

Randi,

Hang in there....This too shall pass. I know I have been feeling like what was the sense of going through this surgery to lose only 20 poundss...but all I did prior to surgery was continue to gain...I am trying to focus on the positive even when I don't feel positive...I cannot forget how miserable I felt prior to the surgery.. I have my 8 week check up next week and I know the surgeon is not going to be happy with my weight loss, my lack of exercise,,,,but it is what it is.. I am going to keep on keeping on....I hope you feel better soon.

Susan