Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Can't I Eat Right After A Fill?

I just got filled today and I felt like eating so I did and nothing happened, why are we supposed to have NO solids 24 hrs after a fill?

Just because it didn't does not mean it couldn't. There can be some swelling around the band post fill which is why the doctors ask for liquids/soft foods for the next day or so.

Anything that gets stuck will irritate the band and make the swelling worse.

My doctor wants Clear Liquids for 2 hours and then soft foods the rest of the day. Each doctor is different though and you should follow the instructions of the doctor you put your faith in.

my Dr said the reason for not eating is because you have to give your stomach time to heal, due to some swelling, and they don't want you to have any irritation, you could cause damage also I think, but the Dr really should have explained to you why you are to wait 24 hrs, don't over do it and just do what your Dr says, its for your good...good luck

Interesting approach' date=' you are told no soilds for 24 hrs but you decline the advice and ask questions after. Why bother?[/quote']

Wow Hazel, I think you're very condescending I don't think there is anything wrong with asking why, clearly you don't have an answer but thought you should respond to my question with a smart Alec rhetorical questions which leads me to believe that you're the type of person who judges and looks down at others to elevate yourself. If you don't have an answer to why we are told no solid foods for 24 hrs please do me a favour and refrain from responding to my posts I have to deal with people like you in my life everyday who feel they can judge me because I'm fat and I don't want to deal with that nonsense here especially in this forum where we are all supposed to be here to support and encourage one another.

I don't and won't refrain from giving you some honest feedback. Answer or not (which was eloquently answered prior to my post by pg), the point is you should ask questions you don't understand BEFORE you sabotage yourself, your health and your band.

My apologies for getting riled by seeing day in and day out people who are subjecting themselves to harm and feeling frustrated. Why? Because of the innate fear that that person may end up with a complication that could result in the removal of their band, long term recovery, and worse yet, them not having attained their goal. Trust me, my piffyness is a sign of actually caring. Sorry you don't know me well enough to understand the correlation.

So you say judging whereas I say dead honest

I don't and won't refrain from giving you some honest feedback. Answer or not (which was eloquently answered prior to my post by pg)' date=' the point is you should ask questions you don't understand BEFORE you sabotage yourself, your health and your band.

My apologies for getting riled by seeing day in and day out people who are subjecting themselves to harm and feeling frustrated. Why? Because of the innate fear that that person may end up with a complication that could result in the removal of their band, long term recovery, and worse yet, them not having attained their goal. Trust me, my piffyness is a sign of actually caring. Sorry you don't know me well enough to understand the correlation.

So you say judging whereas I say dead honest[/quote']

I do welcome honesty what I don't want is sarcasm and belittling rhetorical questions to my questions. Being honest does not mean that you have to be a witch (trying real hard to be polite here Hazel) about it. Keep your comments dignified and honest the rudeness and condescension I could do without. I love how belligerent people always seem to disguise their behaviour with "just being honest" and being "extremely passionate" about their feelings like that gives them the right to get "spiffy" with others, it's an excuse for cutting others down. Just being honest ;-)

I just got filled today and I felt like eating so I did and nothing happened' date=' why are we supposed to have NO solids 24 hrs after a fill?[/quote']

After a fill I am on liquids for 3 days then 3 days of mushies and then back to normal. Every doctor is different. I follow all my doctors orders because I don't want anything to go wrong. You have to let the band heal /rest/adjust to the fill.

So immediately after ur fill ur able to eat solids right away without any discomfort?

Do u mind me asking how many cc's we're tlkn about?

And how much does ur band hold?

I was the same way, able to eat anything, breads, rice, etc at 3cc's but not so much now that im at 4 in a band tht holds 10.

So immediately after ur fill ur able to eat solids right away without any discomfort?

Do u mind me asking how many cc's we're tlkn about?

And how much does ur band hold?

I was the same way' date=' able to eat anything, breads, rice, etc at 3cc's but not so much now that im at 4 in a band tht holds 10.[/quote']

Thank you for your reply I've had my band for one year this is my third fill, I had .5 cc's placed in my band my band currently holds 10cc's I currently have 7.5 cc's in my band. I ate a very mushy meal very gelatinous type texture Protein.

After a fill I am on liquids for 3 days then 3 days of mushies and then back to normal. Every doctor is different. I follow all my doctors orders because I don't want anything to go wrong. You have to let the band heal /rest/adjust to the fill.

Thank you for the post You're right I should follow the doctor's orders I am under an extreme amount of stress and it all came toppling down on me today. I'm currently undergoing the process of applying for a mortgage and trying to have a baby(fertility treatments) this has been such a stressful time for me especially today. I had so much going on with work it all just came down on me today and I caved I wanted to know if I was doing any damage to the band by eating. This was my first time emotional eating since I had the ban put in a year ago. I appreciate the kind words of encouragement. I messed up today for the first time and was feeling extremely anxious about the decision not to follow my doctors orders.

Thank you all (well most of you ;-) ) for your support and words of encouragement to stick to the doctors orders, the truth of the matter is I've been under an extreme amount of stress this week ( lack of sleep, getting mortgage approval, fertility treatments and testing and my hell on earth job) and everything toppled down on me today lick a tone of bricks. I messed up and ate solids after my fill today, today was the first time I broke the rules by not following the doctor's orders and I was scared that I had ruined my surgery and or caused some sort of physical damage to my body. Since the installation of my slimband 1 year ago it has really helped me with my emotional eating and I've prided myself on being able to stick with the program. I feel horrible that I let the stress in my life affect me this way but I am determined to get back on track and SOME of the feedback I've received here has really helped me get my mind straight and get myself back on track. I've had my Slimband for a year this was my third fill, I have a 10 cc band and I currently have 7.5 cc's in my band as today. I would like others in the lapband talk community to know that I am in no way advocating that they not follow their doctor's orders I would encourage everyone to stick to the rules and if you're feeling emotional or upset reach out and talk it through. The Lapband talk really really helped me in that regard; my hubby was at work and unable to answer my call, so I ate I wish I had thought about coming to lapband talk first. I found the majority of people here at lapband talk to be very honest and kind, I've learned that staying negative or allowing negative people to permeate your space will set you up for failure so avoid them at all cost. So with that I didn't beat myself up ( I used to beat myself up in the past, but ever since i've had the slimband installed I've become a whole lot mentally stronger) moving forward I'm just going to dust myself off and move forward. I will be back on liquids for the next 24 hours and then move to thicker liquids for the next 24 hours and then back on solids. And the next time I'm feeling overwhelmed, upset and or stressed out I will log on here and vent :-) Thank you for responding to my post.

Thank you all (well most of you ;-) ) for your support and words of encouragement to stick to the doctors orders' date=' the truth of the matter is I've been under an extreme amount of stress this week ( lack of sleep, getting mortgage approval, fertility treatments and testing and my hell on earth job) and everything toppled down on me today lick a tone of bricks. I messed up and ate solids after my fill today, today was the first time I broke the rules by not following the doctor's orders and I was scared that I had ruined my surgery and or caused some sort of physical damage to my body. Since the installation of my slimband 1 year ago it has really helped me with my emotional eating and I've prided myself on being able to stick with the program. I feel horrible that I let the stress in my life affect me this way but I am determined to get back on track and SOME of the feedback I've received here has really helped me get my mind straight and get myself back on track. I've had my Slimband for a year this was my third fill, I have a 10 cc band and I currently have 7.5 cc's in my band as today. I would like others in the lapband talk community to know that I am in no way advocating that they not follow their doctor's orders I would encourage everyone to stick to the rules and if you're feeling emotional or upset reach out and talk it through. The Lapband talk really really helped me in that regard; my hubby was at work and unable to answer my call, so I ate I wish I had thought about coming to lapband talk first. I found the majority of people here at lapband talk to be very honest and kind, I've learned that staying negative or allowing negative people to permeate your space will set you up for failure so avoid them at all cost. So with that I didn't beat myself up ( I used to beat myself up in the past, but ever since i've had the slimband installed I've become a whole lot mentally stronger) moving forward I'm just going to dust myself off and move forward. I will be back on liquids for the next 24 hours and then move to thicker liquids for the next 24 hours and then back on solids. And the next time I'm feeling overwhelmed, upset and or stressed out I will log on here and vent :-) Thank you for responding to my post.[/quote']

My Dr says mushies not liquids for a day. But I always start with a liquid, then a more liquidy mushie....its just because you might have swelling. Just take it easy and becareful,

I just got filled today and I felt like eating so I did and nothing happened, why are we supposed to have NO solids 24 hrs after a fill?

Because the doctor's think it is better if you don't irritate the area more than what the adjustment has.

for the best results with any WLS, it is vital to follow your doctors instructions...