Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To fill or not to fill....

I have 50 lbs to lose, in no real rush to lose it, just want steady consistent weight loss. I have not had a fill yet, but I know there was some in the band when it was put in. If I can consistently lose 5-8 lbs a month without a fill is it stupid to delay a fill? and maybe get one if I hit a plateau? Most people seem very anxious to get fills... So I just want to make sure I am not being silly

Talk to your doctor and let him help you decide.

Ultimately, whether or not you need a fill is based on hunger not weight loss. Fills don't make you lose weight, they help to control your hunger. When you're not always hungry it's much easier to eat less calories and lose weight.

Some people are lucky and never need a fill, btw.

Can you go at least 4 hours between meals without hunger? If so, you may not need a fill. If not, maybe you should discuss the possibility of a fill with your doctor.

Best wishes.

Thanks for your response. I can go about 4 hours on 1 cup (sometimes 1.5 cups), maybe I will discuss with my doctor about it, I guess I figure if its working as is, why mess with it?, but if I need it I have no problem getting them... Don't get me wrong -especially if I hit a plateau

Yes, if there's nothing wrong why mess with it, especially if you are already in the green zone. Congrats on having only 50 to go!!!

If you are satiated for 4 hrs, losing consistently, able to eat without complication...hold off. When anyone of those factors change, than get a fill.

I'm a huge fan of taking it slow. When you think about having the band for life and the stoma and restriction changing with time..it's always a good idea to take care and not be aggressive with anything we do (fills, eating habits etc).

You know I do appreciate all of the responses, I read through many post and know a few people with the band and the majority of them are in a huge rush and aggressive with getting fills, but I really don't feel that way although I understand why some might feel that way. I just want to lose 50lbs, there is no function coming up or deadline, I just want to see the scale consistently moving downwards and make healthy choices why losing -- that truly is all that I want. But then when I read others posts I question if am thinking wrong or am I lacking motivation or something? I just don't want a quick fix -- been there done that. I want slow healthy weight loss with limited complications.

Before I see my surgeon I sit down with the Nut first and discuss my diet and we go from there. i am also "ahead of schedule" with my loss but I have been busting my butt to lose hungry or not. Tomorrow I"m going in and hope this third one (will have 3cc in a 10cc) will be the one to do it for me!

Don't worry about others, just focus on how YOU feel =)

Thank you, I am starting to realize that much of this journey is personal, every experience may be different. I still am scheduled for a fill on sept 21 and depending on how things go until then maybe I will get a very small one. I will def follow the advice to talk to my doc and/or nut and see what there thoughts are! I appreciate your response !

You know I do appreciate all of the responses, I read through many post and know a few people with the band and the majority of them are in a huge rush and aggressive with getting fills, but I really don't feel that way although I understand why some might feel that way. I just want to lose 50lbs, there is no function coming up or deadline, I just want to see the scale consistently moving downwards and make healthy choices why losing -- that truly is all that I want. But then when I read others posts I question if am thinking wrong or am I lacking motivation or something? I just don't want a quick fix -- been there done that. I want slow healthy weight loss with limited complications.

i dont have any fills yet and i often wonder am i doing wrong or could i be doing more (and yes i look at others seemingly getting fills left and right)...and yes i compare......but what it boils down too is what others have told you.....and yes me as i read their comments, YOU.....make the decision based on you and what your doctor suggests.....losing weight is not a race....some may get their goals quicker than others...so what.....i will get there when i get there......with or without fills........and its nice to know i can get fills

to help me when i need it.

all the best.

you are doing GREAT

I have 50 lbs to lose, in no real rush to lose it, just want steady consistent weight loss. I have not had a fill yet, but I know there was some in the band when it was put in. If I can consistently lose 5-8 lbs a month without a fill is it stupid to delay a fill? and maybe get one if I hit a plateau? Most people seem very anxious to get fills... So I just want to make sure I am not being silly

If it ain't broke, I wouldn't fix it! Sounds like you are doing great. My surgeon would not even suggest a fill if you are losing so consistently. Best wishes.Karen