Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any other runners here?

Hehe, now I've completed a race I feel I can call myself a "runner".

I just did my first fun run, finished 4kms in 29 minutes, about halfway through a pack of 12,000 people or so. I was so elated, I've worked hard and I never ever thought I'd be able to run ever again. A year ago I felt like I was staring down the barrel of middle age as my 30's draw to a close, I was depressed, I looked like shite and I felt like shite.

It was one of my big goals to run again but I didnt know if I ever would be able to with my ankle, which actually hasnt given me a moment's trouble. I used to run a bit when I was around 20 but this was my first ever race and I"m training for the next one in a month. I'm going on the circuit, lol, want to build up to 10km races, although I'm not sure I'll ever do a half marathon.

This honestly means MORE to me than any amount of improvement in my appearance.

Anyone else caught the bug?

I'm trying to build up the endurance to be able to jog but it is taking me a while. It's so hot and humid here in Louisiana, so I haven't been out for a walk/job for a while. I'm keeping my exercise routine inside for now.

When I do go, I can jog for about 1/4 mile and then have to resume walking. I do this on and off throughout my walk. I also have bad knees and weak ankles so I have to be careful. I hope to be able to jog a full mile before the end of the year.

Way to go! High Five! I too am a banded runner.........an addicted runner! I have been running now for about 7months and have worked up to 12-16miles/week! Since being banded, I have ran 10k's, 5k's and a 5 mile race. My longest run so far has been a 7 miler! Last weekend, I flew up to Colorado Springs for a VERY grueling 5 mile run in the Garden Of The Gods! Not being use to the high alltitude and monsterous hills, my goal was just to run the entire 5 miles non-stop and I did it! This was such a grattifying accomplishment, I can't put it into words! Before being banded, I could barely walk around the block without huffing and puffing! It is amaizing what you can do if you stay consistant! My next big goal is to run a half marathon in October. Hopefully I will be close to my 180lb goal weight! ATTENTION LAPBANDERS!!!!! Running is awesome............give it a try and you will make some major gains (losses)!

I know, I'm just so excited that I achieved this. Being able to run to me is the true marker of this band's success, well MY success. People look at me like I"m nuts for being so thrilled with this. They say "run and fun dont belong in the same sentence". They dont know what they're missing out on!

When I was in college (about 10 yrs. ago and about 80 lbs ago), I jogged about 5 miles at a time--about 4-5 times/week. I completed a 5K in about 28 minutes.

Now, at 248 lbs., I can jog about 1-2 miles without stopping--in about 18-20 minutes (9-10 minute miles).

I'm hoping as the pounds melt away, I'll be up to my five miles again.

I love to jog/run!