Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What else will change??

I'm a 22 year old female and I've been considering WLS for about 8 months. I went through a lot of the initial consultations and then I decided to "give it another shot on my own" - I think mainly I was scared.

My mum has had a Lapband for approximately the last 10 years so I can ask her a lot of my questions however I'm hoping everyone on here could tell me a bit more - the things they don't tell you, will it effect my general life in any way you can think of that you wish you had been told ? Can you no longer lie down after eating? I don't know I can't think of any examples, but please share anything that you think might be of interest!

I'm trying to prepare myself for everything so when I go back I can commit :)

Thank you!

I was banded 7/15 and so far have no regrets. I think the only "surprise" I had was the fact that I was so hungry after surgery. This didn't kick in until about about 3 days post op. I was expecting to really not be hungry at all, boy was I wrong. I managed it with creamy Soups and Protein Shakes but that was a rough week to get through. Other than that it has been much easier than I expected. Post op pain was not bad at all, and adjusting my eating has really not been that bad. Good luck on your journey and remember most times your fears are much worse than the reality.

I was banded 7/15 and so far have no regrets. I think the only "surprise" I had was the fact that I was so hungry after surgery. This didn't kick in until about about 3 days post op. I was expecting to really not be hungry at all' date=' boy was I wrong. I managed it with creamy Soups and Protein shakes but that was a rough week to get through. Other than that it has been much easier than I expected. Post op pain was not bad at all, and adjusting my eating has really not been that bad. Good luck on your journey and remember most times your fears are much worse than the reality.[/quote']

Thank you :) I think I simply work myself up about it. I suppose I just want some reassurance that my life will be fairly much the same as it is now. That other than food, I won't have to change how I live...(except for the better!)

Thanks again

The only thing they didn't tell me was how happy I will be. How proud I am of myself. How I'm becoming ME again. I have NO regrets. Everyone is different after surgery. I wasn't hungry at all for about a month after surgery. I had to force myself to eat something. I followed all the rules. I was banded 1/30/13 and so far I've lost 44 pounds. I'm not working out in the sense of a gym workout but I take the four flights of stairs at work...I park far away...I walk my dog every day...I landscape now...I swim with my daughter and I go out with my girlfriends dancing. Stuff I haven't done in yeads due to my weight and insecurities. I eat better and so does my family. I'm not near goal yet, but I have a realistic idea of what that is and for the first time, I have confidence that in a couple years I will achieve it. I'm glad you are asking these questions. Its important for you to know as much as you can. Just remember this is what you make it. You can go as far or not as far as you want it to go.

Hello Cantpause...

I can answer this from a personal perspective or a more honest perspective as it may pertain to a 22 year olds life.

For me personally, I was banded at 32 years of age. Wish I had done it much earlier, but I never knew about the band- only bypass. The band has been great for me. Sure there's been some accommodations and compromises, but I have zero regrets and have successfully reached goal. As a 32 (now 36) yo woman, I was fully equipped to make these changes and sacrifices and that is the only reservation I have for a 22 yo.

Not knowing what your lifestyle is, how mature/responsible you are etc.. I know that this procedure CAN BE overwhelming for a young adult. Not only the concept of getting surgery and any associated risks and recovery discomfort associated with it, but also any changes or more specifically, social changes that could occur. So I want to address it from that end...

Having the band puts you on introspective mode 24-7. Not only are you monitoring your food intake, managing your wl, abiding by your new rules etc, but you are also addressing your 'issues' you know the ones that made you overweight. It sounds daunting, but it's not. It's rewarding. It let you get in touch w/ the real you and give yourself a hard look in the mirror for the first time and get real with what the problem is and committing to changing it. It can be slightly preoccupying, however, it also makes you the priority.

The only problem with you being a priority, is that you WILL make hard choices. Some are easier than others. Some only effect you, and some may effect others. Examples include: 1) If you socialize, sometimes food is provided without your input. If this is routine w/ the same friends you may need to ask for certain foods, bring your own foods or simply resist anything not bandworthy 2) when you dine out, small is the new norm. Order what you want, but you'll get 5 bites in max and friends will notice. If they don't know you are banded, think about what you will do/say now to make it less uncomfortable, 3) you might need to get tough with anyone who is or becomes a sabotager...you know, friends who only get together over drinks or dining, the mom (not yours apparently lol) who brings her fav banana nut bread over every week 4) personality changes, with weight loss comes great confidence and self esteem, this reflects in your everyday behavior and decisions. Mostly for the good. But sometimes this is perceived negatively (ie jealousy rears it's ugly head) be prepared and 5) At 22 I assume you are working and depending on the industry and setup your wl will be recognized by others, eating habits may be observed etc and you just need to be prepared for when people approach you with questions. Not sure if you are telling everyone vs noone but hiding can be just as stressful (ie hiding your mash potato lunch, avoiding get togethers so noone sees you drink a shake etc) lol.

These are the worse things I can drum up. It's in no way to deter you from the band. It's to give you an opportunity to just sit down and prepare for the what ifs. The surgery is not a huge ordeal, the pain is manageable, the transition to solids is a challenge and living with the band becomes second nature. The more you prepare the easier it is. You'll do great and congrats on doing it at such a young age (the right time) you'll thank yourself when you are 36 yo :)

I am six months out and the only things I didn't imagine are POSITIVE!! (You can read my blog for more specifics) So far nothing has been too terrible to wish I hadn't done it and if you follow the band rules like you are supposed to it's a great journey. Good luck and do what's right for YOU!

I am six months out and the only things I didn't imagine are POSITIVE!! (You can read my blog for more specifics) So far nothing has been too terrible to wish I hadn't done it and if you follow the band rules like you are supposed to it's a great journey. Good luck and do what's right for YOU!

Thank you! How do I find your blog? :)

Hello Cantpause...

I can answer this from a personal perspective or a more honest perspective as it may pertain to a 22 year olds life.

For me personally' date=' I was banded at 32 years of age. Wish I had done it much earlier, but I never knew about the band- only bypass. The band has been great for me. Sure there's been some accommodations and compromises, but I have zero regrets and have successfully reached goal. As a 32 (now 36) yo woman, I was fully equipped to make these changes and sacrifices and that is the only reservation I have for a 22 yo.

Not knowing what your lifestyle is, how mature/responsible you are etc.. I know that this procedure CAN BE overwhelming for a young adult. Not only the concept of getting surgery and any associated risks and recovery discomfort associated with it, but also any changes or more specifically, social changes that could occur. So I want to address it from that end...

Having the band puts you on introspective mode 24-7. Not only are you monitoring your food intake, managing your wl, abiding by your new rules etc, but you are also addressing your 'issues' you know the ones that made you overweight. It sounds daunting, but it's not. It's rewarding. It let you get in touch w/ the real you and give yourself a hard look in the mirror for the first time and get real with what the problem is and committing to changing it. It can be slightly preoccupying, however, it also makes you the priority.

The only problem with you being a priority, is that you WILL make hard choices. Some are easier than others. Some only effect you, and some may effect others. Examples include: 1) If you socialize, sometimes food is provided without your input. If this is routine w/ the same friends you may need to ask for certain foods, bring your own foods or simply resist anything not bandworthy 2) when you dine out, small is the new norm. Order what you want, but you'll get 5 bites in max and friends will notice. If they don't know you are banded, think about what you will do/say now to make it less uncomfortable, 3) you might need to get tough with anyone who is or becomes a sabotager...you know, friends who only get together over drinks or dining, the mom (not yours apparently lol) who brings her fav banana nut bread over every week 4) personality changes, with weight loss comes great confidence and self esteem, this reflects in your everyday behavior and decisions. Mostly for the good. But sometimes this is perceived negatively (ie jealousy rears it's ugly head) be prepared and 5) At 22 I assume you are working and depending on the industry and setup your wl will be recognized by others, eating habits may be observed etc and you just need to be prepared for when people approach you with questions. Not sure if you are telling everyone vs noone but hiding can be just as stressful (ie hiding your mash potato lunch, avoiding get togethers so noone sees you drink a shake etc) lol.

These are the worse things I can drum up. It's in no way to deter you from the band. It's to give you an opportunity to just sit down and prepare for the what ifs. The surgery is not a huge ordeal, the pain is manageable, the transition to solids is a challenge and living with the band becomes second nature. The more you prepare the easier it is. You'll do great and congrats on doing it at such a young age (the right time) you'll thank yourself when you are 36 yo :)[/quote']

Thank you so much you have really helped. Everything you have mentioned are things I am talking through with my doctor and parents - i will definitely continue to prepare myself :) I want the best possible chance for success!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply :)