Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was having a lot of trouble getting to a point where I actually noticed any restriction with my band. It took a good 6 months of fills for me to feel I was restricted in what I was eating. All of that was frustrating in its self because weight loss was slow but I know this is a marathon, not a sprint. So I am happy as long as weight is coming off, even if it is slow.

Now that I can feel restriction, I am experiencing some problems. When I eat my first meal every morning, I am having a lot of difficulty getting food down. After a couple bites, I get the stuck feeling and I PB A LOT of slime with the couple of bites. This only happens with my first meal every day. It is easier to deal with when I am home, although not fun, but I eat Breakfast at work most days and I am restricted to Protein shakes. It has become very annoying. Has anyone experienced this? I read one suggestion of having a hot drink because the body might be producing the slime while sleeping and is acting as a plug when first eating.

OH welcome to the morning bandhell club.

Many (could I dare say most) bandsters have the most difficulty in the mornings with their bands being tight. You will hear about people who will drink Hot drinks before eating to losen the band. Or those who forego solids for Breakfast to avoid the adverse symptoms.

I think most of this has to do with the fact that the band has been unused for an average of 10+ hrs. So without any stretching with food passing, without hydration to keep the cells full (which leads to flat cells in the esophogus and stomach = restriction until rehydrated) the band is at it's tightest restriction and needs to massaged and worked back into user mode (hahaha). Make sense?

Unfortunately, slime comes along with being banded period WITH a restricted band. EVERYONE at some point in their banded life will slime, some more than others, so get used to it..LOL.

It's the bodies way of lubricating your food to try to slide it down instead of it coming back up.

It's the price you pay for tight restriction, if you don't like sliming, you can also remove a little saline in order for you to eat better, but I am sure you don't want to do that, so you will have to suck it up and find ways to minimize it.

It's the same with Bypassers most will dump soon or later, same with the band most will slime sooner or later.

You can minimize your sliming incidents by either drinking something warm prior to a meal, the band is tightest in the morning for most bandsters and many will have something light like yogurt, or a Protein drink for Breakfast instead of trying to eat eggs and sausage.

Also sliming is DIFFERENT than actually Pbing, Pbing is acutally bring the food back up -- similar to vomiting, which if done every day for long periods of time can cause pouch dilation and other issues.

Sliming is not that serious since your mouth just waters and you start spitting out gobs of slimy spit, and you don't bring force upon your stomach or band.

Welcome to being a full fledged lap bander :blink: . :P

I start every morning with a warm drink. Wait an hour and then eat.

What are you eating for breakfast that is getting stuck?

What are you eating for breakfast that is getting stuck?

Anything solid. I can feel it get stuck and it only takes me a couple minutes at most until I have to PB. And when I do it is a significant amount of slime. So much that I don't see how it is possible that my stomach produced that much in a short amount of time. I have been dealing with slime in general for awhile now but the large amount every morning is new. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this. From some things I have read, it seems possible that the restriction from the band overnight causes the body to produce slime while sleeping and it is built up and cause the first meal to get stuck. I can live with Protein shakes for breakfast but it makes going out for breakfast difficult. I am going to try the hot drink since that seems to help people. I am sure taking some fill out would help, but I don't want to do it.

Also, has anyone else experienced their restriction changing from day to day? Some days I feel like I can eat anything and other days I struggle to keep solids down.

I've never heard the slime production overnight comment. I doubt that happens. Slime is simply saliva/phlegm that your body produces to aid food in your esophagus to travel through the sphincter and into your stomach. Slime is produced immediately upon eating food and if you're stuck, it continues to produce and can back up into your throat. It's produced in your esophagus not your stomach.

Since you're new to this, you could be consuming bites too big, eating too fast or not chewing enough. Learning to do this can take months. I know I thought I was following the rules early in my journey but I now know I wasn't. There are also foods that cause all of us problems in the mornings. Breads, eggs and dry meats can and will cause difficulties.

Yes the band is fickle. Restriction can change from day to day depending on sodium intake, TOM, stress, illness and even heat. Good luck.

tmf

BTW-PB'ing is OK in very limited situations. If it becomes a daily occurrence, you might want to talk to your nutritionist or doctor. Exessive PB'ing can cause your pouch or esophagus to dilate.

I would say, stick with the Protein Shake for breakfast. When I was "restricted" it was all I could handle. I was able to eat a snack a couple hours later. Even now, bread is a sure no no in the am, and I choose to keep my band kinda loose. Another thought is yogurt, you could bring that to work. I eat it with Fiber one, not sure you could handle the Cereal though. Good luck!

I definitely can't eat first thing in the morning, that would be a disaster. I have coffee or hot tea and have something soft an hour or two later.

Thank you everyone! This morning I had tea and an hour later my Protein Shake. All wet well and I was able to eat solids with no problem or the other meals.

What's PBing???

What's PBing???

It is productive burping ... so using burps or burping-type movement to move food or in my case slime that is stuck back up your esophagus. It is not the same as throwing up. This is bringing up food that has not entered your stomach. Throwing up would be bringing food out of the stomach and back through the band, that can be dangerous. But like others have said, PBing too much will stretch things out.

I have been 13 months post banding (6 fills) and I slime tons every meal and usually cannot eat without regurgitating- unless it is liquid like Soup. I may go for 2-3 days like that them all of the sudden I can eat fine for a meal or two.

I'm becoming frustrated with this issue. I have to almost always excuse myself at dinner to go and regurgitate multiple times. It's usually not the food, rather its the "saliva or slime" as I have read on here.

Any suggestions??

I have been 13 months post banding (6 fills) and I slime tons every meal and usually cannot eat without regurgitating- unless it is liquid like Soup. I may go for 2-3 days like that them all of the sudden I can eat fine for a meal or two.

I'm becoming frustrated with this issue. I have to almost always excuse myself at dinner to go and regurgitate multiple times. It's usually not the food' date=' rather its the "saliva or slime" as I have read on here.

Any suggestions??[/quote']

It sounds like you are way too tight. I am assuming that you are taking small bites and chewing them until they are mush? After I made my original post, I took some time to really evaluate how I was eating. I still have the problem where I cannot eat solids in the morning but it sounds like that is a typical part of band-life. What I have learned is that I am tight in the morning so I have hot tea to loosen everything and then a Protein shake. After that I am usually okay but I have to be very careful with my second meal and eat slow. If I am not careful or if I eat something that is too dry too early in the day, I will have to regurgitate. That happens now 1 time a week, maybe 2-3 if I am not careful. Having to regurgitate is not supposed to be good for the band and it is not fun, even a couple times a week. I cannot imagine having to do it for every meal.

I thought that the slime was already built up but after taking time to evaluate what was going on, when I ate a bite that was too big or dry my body produced a large amount of slime to push it through and that slime then also got stuck. Our bodies can produce the slime very quickly. Your body is probably producing it on your first few bites. The moral of all of this is that I think you to discuss this with your doctor. And maybe have fill take out, which I know is a scary thought but if you can't anything, that is bad.