Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling really discouraged- maybe I made a mistake? :( surgery 1 week ago and lost 1 pd.

I had surgery August 5th, and lost 11 pounds on my preop diet. I've come home following my doctors orders to a T with no deviation. I weighed 228 preop lost 11pds which brought me down to 217. Today, the scale finally said 216.1 pound in a week? Are we for real?? My doctor said even if you're not so hungry, drink your fluids but continue to get 50 grams of Protein in which I am too. Also, not to be tmi but I can't go to the bathroom.

Lost soul ... :(

First, no you didn't make a mistake.

Second, get off the scale. now is a time for healing. There are so many factors as to your weight right now (swelling from surgery, gas from surgery, not going to the bathroom...just to name a few),

Third, call you doctor about not going potty. They might recommend something for that (very common problem).

Fourth, 11 pounds is awesome. Be proud of yourself. This is a long and hard journey. You can do this and we will support you every step of the way,

Big cyber hugs to you!!

I was banded on the 2nd... I had the same issue with the potty until today. It will get better, but maybe get something to "move it along". This is a huge life change, so give yourself time to adjust physically and emotionally.

Pain meds can shut down your digestive system. They shut down my pyloric sphincter and nothing passes. So, I lasted one day on pain meds and just endured the pain(mild).

Consuming lots of sodium and sugars can cause you to retain lots of fluids so don't fret what's happening now. It may be a month or more before you heal and can eat solid food. Then you can create your own lifestyle, your own exercise and fitness program. Until then your job is to heal because regardless of what you were told, this surgery can be very traumatic to your system.

tmf

As the others have said, this is a time for healing, weight loss comes later. There is lots of swelling and Fluid shifts from surgery. I remember feeling the same way the first couple of weeks and was quite discouraged when my weight increased! I would suggest you stay away from the scale until you've had your post op check. The scale can (and will) drive you crazy. I had the same issue after surgery took me a week and a half to move my bowels. Took some milk of magnesia to get it going and to this day I take mirilax on a daily basis (add it to my Protein Shake in the morning!). Hang in there....the best is yet to come!

I had surgery August 5th' date=' and lost 11 pounds on my preop diet. I've come home following my doctors orders to a T with no deviation. I weighed 228 preop lost 11pds which brought me down to 217. Today, the scale finally said 216.1 pound in a week? Are we for real?? My doctor said even if you're not so hungry, drink your fluids but continue to get 50 grams of Protein in which I am too. Also, not to be tmi but I can't go to the bathroom.

Lost soul ... :([/quote']

Don't be discouraged. You need to heal first and foremost. Try the MIRALAX! It really helped Me get back to a "regular" track!! You will lose weight. Your body needs to adjust. If you have further concerns call your doctor, that is what he is getting paid for. Eleven pounds is very good by the way! Being banded is not a magic wand all and in itself. Your the real magic. Keep the faith and hang in there. Keep us posted because we care here. We have all been EXACTLY where you are now, so don't worry.

Sent from Angel's iPad using LapBandTalk

I had surgery August 5th' date=' and lost 11 pounds on my preop diet. I've come home following my doctors orders to a T with no deviation. I weighed 228 preop lost 11pds which brought me down to 217. Today, the scale finally said 216.1 pound in a week? Are we for real?? My doctor said even if you're not so hungry, drink your fluids but continue to get 50 grams of Protein in which I am too. Also, not to be tmi but I can't go to the bathroom.

Lost soul ... :([/quote']

That may be part of the scale being stuck. Your colon can hold up to 10 lbs plus you did get lots of Fluid in the hospital. You need a stool softener. Try some dulcolax or senokot 1 tablet twice a day. You need to go to the bathroom so that you don't end up obstructed. Walking helps your colon as well. You did the right thing. Get things cleared out and you will feel better and the scale will go down, good lu

Cj!

PUT THE scale AWAY!!!

You are still healing

Take it one day at a time... it will happen.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

Tom! Did you get your band done in Toronto. I am headed to Toronto for mine next week?! Just looking if there any others who went to the same place I am headed?? Slimband??

Thanks

Ashley

You mean you've been banded a whole week and you have not lost all your weight yet???

That's like saying you just had knee surgery so how come you're not winning marathons....it's because you have heal, then train...and you have plenty of training ahead of you so RELAX.....it's going to take months, then years!!!!

This is just one of many obstacles ahead of you.....but keep your eye on the finish line, because i will tell you from personal experience there is a finish line and there is a different life afterward if you do not back down....

Your weight will not melt off instantly ... and you need to heal first then worry about how much you are losing.. If you follow your Dr's instructions and make sure you drink alot you will lose but average losses are 1-2 lbs a week.. I know I was surprised that it didn't come off quicker too but according to my Dr. it's a better way to lose slowly... I used Milk of Mag for relief of Constipation. there are lots of products that will solve that problem...

No, WLS graduate im upset that' I've only lost 1pound after surgery.

Expected weight loss with a band is 1-2 lbs per week over the long term. I remember posting something similar after my surgery. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Follow your doctor's orders and the weight loss will come. Heal from the surgery. During the active weight-loss phase for me, I averaged 0.75 lbs per week. Frustrating yes, but I got there!

As to the toilet, liquid in...liquid out. I didn't go for about 6 days. Then had a massive explosion of diarrhea. Call your doc if you are in pain from it.

Try not to focus on weightloss while you're healing, and if you can, just stay away from the scale for the first few weeks. Instead, try to focus on healing first off, then following the rules and sticking to your post op diet. The weight WILL come off, I promise!!

Very normal right after surgery. Give it some time and you will start to see te scale moving again;)