Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid reflux and banding

Did any of you have acid reflux PRIOR to banding? I have been on nexium forever and am about to be banded on 9/5. Do you still have AR now? And do you just control it with meds?

Yep, I have taken Zantac forever, too. My acid reflux went completely away while I was on the pre-op diet, only to return when my band was a little too tight. I started taking the Zantac on a nightly basis again, even after an unfill, just as a preventative.

Did any of you have acid reflux PRIOR to banding? I have been on nexium forever and am about to be banded on 9/5. Do you still have AR now? And do you just control it with meds?

Had a hiatal hernia & that was repaired. No more reflux!!

Hello just got banded on aug 5 I also had a hiatal hernia and I have so much air in me I can' t eat or drink properly recently had to go back to the hospital to get fluids for dehydration hopping it ends soon very painful being filled with so much air taking simethecone for gas and booting I lost a total of 22 pounds at first but gain som back so I lost 17 lb so far I got up to 251 and now down to 231 trying to get to 165 if any one has any tips on belching and swallowing air please let me know

I had it prior due to a hiatal hernia, and it was repaired when I got my band and now no AR!! YEAH! One less medication, now I only take meds for my seizure disorder. My 176 pound loss prior my banding 86ed most everything, but now one more is gone for good! Have you talked to you doctor about it? Oh my doctor has me sleeping with my head elevated too right now the help prevent it. I go for my post op check up the 22nd so from there who knows??

Yeah I talk to my dr cause I had to be readmited for the dehydration behind it he thinks it will get better so we will see

I suffered from AR since I was 14. I was on two medications. I was banded 1 month before my 40th birthday.

My AR went away 3 days after getting banded...and I didn't have a hernia. My AR was so bad at times I was put in the hospital on 4 separate occasions.

If someone told me I wouldn't lose weight but my AR would go away I would have gotten the band !!

I can eat spicy foods now (not super spicy because I don't like them) but thinks like chili and spaghetti sauce and have no issues at all.

Best thing I ever did... AND NO MORE ACID REFLUX !!!!

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

Ask your Sugreon if they will fix your hiatal hernia when they do the band and mention to them that you have really bad acid reflux all I knowis when they did my band they also fixed my hiatal hernia and I haven't had an a r or gerd or heartburn since and I still eat spicy food or salsa but in moderation so all I know is that it helped me , hopefully it helps you.

Yeah they already fixed my hernia at the same time they did the band my problem is belching and the pain in the shoulder but it wasn't t as bad today I see improvement and I am down to 228.4 so I just have to be patient with my recovery and I notice the sipping while eating does create a vomiting problem but its hard to get your fluids and proper diet with the time it takes but I ll adjust soon

Hello.. I was banded 5/9/2013.. I am blessed to say I have had minimum to no complications I have been back to everyone of my check ups and have not had to have in adjustments I am down 43 pounds down and feel great. I am so happy I finally decided to get the surgery. My band is a blessing!!!! Tasha