Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you handle different scales?

There is fully a 20lbs difference btwn my scale at home (high) and the surgeon's office (low). My doctor's office and nutritionist are in the middle but closer to my scale. I use my scale at home to track loss - but I suspect it shows me weighing more than I actually do - and I think my surgeon's shows less than I actually weigh. Do any of you have this problem? Which weight should I use?

My scale at home is a Taylor digital - a few years old. Is there a secret to zeroing it out and getting it accurate?

I tend to think all scales are accurate to themselves so no need to pick one to follow. You can use the one at home to be your guide on how your weight loss is coming because whatever # it says if it is going down you are losing. Your surgeon of course will use his for your records with his/her office. I have rarely seen scales be the same especially when you factor in time of day you are weighing can vary your weight also.

I don't own scales.

While I was losing I only got weighed and measured once a month by my family doctor.

I still get weighed in every month. This was the best decision I made... I don't get hung up on the number on the scale. Keeps me motivated and on tract.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

A 20 pound difference? That's way too much. Typically scales deviate from home/doctors because at home we weight first thing in the morning before eating, are naked etc and at the docs we probably had a meal or two, are fully clothed etc. But the difference it usually within 6 pounds not 20..thats way too much unless you have a winter coat, sweater, jeans and some boots on while weighing (lol). What I would do (if you have access to one) is take something like a 10, 20 + pound dumbbell (or anything that you know the exact weight of) and place it on your home scale. Ensure it's reading that weight. If not, simply add or deduct the difference. As for zeroing your scale, you can search online for the made/model of your scale and most user guides are now online.

My scale varies from the doctors about 3-4 pounds. I always weigh less on mine. I ended up going and getting a new scale at Bed Bath and Beyond. I spent like 59 but it seems pretty accurate. Hope you figure everything out! xx Best Wishes

I have a Taylor digital scale too, it's about 6 years old, my doctors office and my surgeons office both weigh me 1 lb heavier than mine at home.....if it's an option I would buy a new scale,....Darn scales, can be so frustrating, especially in your situation, so sorry and good job on losing!....Best Wishes :)

All my doctor's scales and mine are all different within 5 pounds. I don't let it get to me. Some banders don't own scales because of this or they go on the scale too many times a day, like I do.

Maybe set your scale to match your doctor's. I weigh myself without clothes and at the doctor's I am dressed but shoe less.

Does it have a battery that could be changed out? And I second the idea if weighing a dumbbell on it and seeing what it says.

Thanks all! I did recently replace the battery. My sister has noticed mine is always higher than hers as well. No one likes weighing themselves at my house :)

I imagine I will get weighed at the hospital next week before surgery so I think after that I will go and buy a new scale that is close/on that number and see where that gets me.

The upside is I think it is very likely I've lost enough to be back in "the two's"... Next stop, ONEderland (in 12-18 months :)!

Are you losing by all scales? Doesn't really make a difference if you are losing the same amounts from each pounds! God by the surgeon's weight, tho. That's what I do!

Are you losing by all scales? Doesn't really make a difference if you are losing the same amounts from each pounds! God by the surgeon's weight' date=' tho. That's what I do![/quote']

Good question. I'm not sure. My loss has been in the last 3 weeks and I haven't been to any of these other offices in that time. I'm someone who can let things get out of control if I don't hop on the scale at least several times a week (as history has shown for me) so I have been going with my home scale. But when I went to the surgeon's office about a month ago it said 295 and I know I weighed more than that. At home a day or two later my scale said 315. My doc and nutritionist scales around that time said 308/309 (all digital). I'm curious to see what I weigh in at in a week when I go for surgery just as another comparison point. I know for sure I'm losing - but it would feel good to get this worked out so I'm at least on scales that are in the same ballpark. I've told my surgeon's office twice now that I think their scale needs to be recalibrated.

Just weighed my 10lbs kettle ball at home and it clocked in at 9.8. So maybe home is accurate, surgeon's office is off/low and doc/nutri offices were anomalies. So long as all the numbers go down, right? :)

Just got weighed at surgeon's office. 272. At home I am 292. Both show abt 23lbs loss but the variance is crazy! I told them again and they said theirs has been adjusted but when they heard my nutritionist scale is also 15lbs over theirs and it is in the same health practice they were surprised and they will check theirs again.

I will just stay consistent with my home scale and that way it I'm almost guaranteed good news when I'm on any other scale :)