Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting banded with plication in 8 days...

Can anyone give me some feedback on the plication part? I have decided to go through with it, but I would like to hear about any experiences you might want to share.

well i have it for just over a year now

so far (and with my want power) and the band, it has

helped me lose 123 pounds..it has made my stomach smaller

and i get full quicker and has helped me with not needing a fill yet.

my dr advised me that no matter what WLS i get, i still have to do

my part by eating netter quality foods and exercise...best of luck

(anything else in particular, just pm me)

I too had the banding with plication in Aug 2011 so it has been almost 2 years now. I went from 253 pounds to 160 in probably about 7 months. I will say that it doesn't happen by itself. I do watch what I eat and exercise, but I truly don't feel hungry and the band and plication help me know it is time to stop eating. Just follow the rules. Good luck!

I had the band with plication on 3/25/13, and I'm glad that I did. I can't really comment on the difference between plication or no plication, because I don't have a reference point. But I CAN say that I do feel full on small amounts of food. There have been times when I eat past what the band tells me, but the smaller stomach minimizes capacity. The handful of times I've done that, don't feel great.....which keeps me diligent to my program.

To get another spin on this, it might be good to hear from people who had the plication added to the band at a later date. I spoke to another patient at my doctor's office, who had it added after 6 successful years with the band alone. I never did get a good answer, because she was only two weeks post-op & didn't have a sense of how it was going to be after healing. But I made my decision to add plication anyway, because I wanted a secondary restriction in place, in case something went wrong with the band.

Can someone explain what plication is ?

It's where they fold the stomach in on itself and stitch it with non dissolving sutures. Without cutting, stapling or rerouting intestines, they make the stomach the size and shape of the sleeve, then put the band on top. It's been shown to reduce various issues with the band (slipping, less fills, etc.) and gives that second tier of restriction. The beginning weight loss is suppose to be better than with the band alone. It's been done for about 3 years, but not currently approved by the FDA. Therefore, insurance does not cover it, but many doctors are doing it (some for free), or for a small added fee.

Here is some good info on the procedure. This isn't my doctor, but I found it online; gives a good outline of the surgery.

http://www.obesitysurgeryla.com/laproscopic-banded-plication.php

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 1 reply
      1. kezbeth

I may have to have gall bladder surgery during my weight loss surgery. Not thrilled about it either but do not want 2 recovery times. Just want it over with.

Thanks for your post. I may need to rethink my decision... :(

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches