Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need someone to tell me

:help: :) :help:

I am crazy.

I am in need of professional help.

But what I want to hear [read] is that if I eat protien as if I was following the Atkins diet, I will loose weight.

I was down 19 pounds, and now I am up a pound. :faint: :faint:

I feel like I have a little restriction, as when I eat something a little too fast, I get the pain in my chest and want to throw up.

I seem to be able to graze a good bit. The items I am grazing on are things like (3) naturally sweet string peas and (4) pimento stuffed olives. Then I had a piece of jalapeno monterey cheese with salsalito turkey breast rolled up in it. (I ate the turkey and cheese too fast and did not chew)

I bought things like tuna, and Pork rinds, and chicken breasts (already cooked and fllavored) etc.. to take to work for my lunch.

I have Boca chili, and Boca burgers, and Gordons frozen grilled fish.

Trouble is, I don't want to eat it, as I do not want to gain weight.

I was able to wear two pair of capri pants this weekend I have not been able to get into in a year, and now I worry I will not be able to get into them for a couple of months again, as I gain weight waiting on my restriction to get into place.

Someone tell me I am on the right or wrong track.

I want to loose about 50 to 60 pounds. I see others on here that have dropped that in less then a year. I want to do that too.

I have whined here before I know. I am honestly at my wits end and know if I do not reach out and find the support and understanding I need, I will not find the courage and faith I need in myself.

As always, thank you to anyone who reads and provides their honest opinions and thoughts on my craziness.

Not to sound like a quack but should you be eating solid foods yet? What does your Dr. say you should be eating? By the way I wouldnt try the Pork rinds even with no restriction them little buggers get stuck. Your just on your 3rd week out right? and 19 pounds is a lot! This is a time to heal not lose weight. but if you do lose weight thats bonus honey! I think you are doing good. Just ask your Dr. or Diet person what you should be eating. Every Dr. is diffrent.

The truth is for most people if you eat less calories than you expend you will lose weight. Even if you eat nothing but cake for an entire day.

It simply does not have to be so rigid and ruled - eat less, lose weight, its simple.

People differ on whether they think a high Protein diet = good nutrition. Its not personally a way I choose to eat, and I can still lose weight. I think it works better for some people than others. If it's what you've been told to do and its what you want to do then do it. But it really jut comes down to less calories.

You're no different to anyone else - everyone here has lost weight to some degree or other and you will too, you just need to have a bit of faith in your ability to do that.

Also whilst the weight dropped at first steadily and fast, now I'm up down, up down, but more down than up over time. Gaining a lb is nothing to worry about, gaining 10 is more of a concern. Your body fluctuates more than that on a day to day basis. If you're down another couple of lb in a eight weeks time, you're on the right track even though more than likely you'll have had small gains within that time.

Its basic chemistry and your body will obey the laws of nature just as anyone else's will. But putting pressure on yourself to get into this item or that by a certain time, well that's just asking for disappointment, go a little easier on yourself. Sometimes you lose little weight and lots of inches and sometimes its the other way around.

I was banded on 3/30 and will not start on solid foods until this Thursday. It sounds like you have some restriction from what you described in your post but gaining a pound is nothing to worry about. You stated that you're afraid to eat because you're afraid you'll gain weight but what is the outcome of that decision? You "graze" and eat things you shouldn't.

Having the band requires that you eat healthy, small meals at least 3 times a day and most surgeons advise eating every 3-4 hours (3 meals and 2 snacks). Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to make an appointment with the dietician?

Good luck, you're losing wonderfully.

This is soooo hard!

No, I did not think it would be easy. Just a little easier.

My doctor told me on my one week post op to go ahead and move to foods, what I can handle, and to choose wisely and healthy.

I am avoiding carbs and sugar.

Tomorrow is a new day, and a new chance not to sabotage myself right?

MelAnne, don't think of what you have lost, think of what you have gained ....a whole new perspective on life that takes a lifetime of patience, control and learning.

19 lbs in 3 weeks is FABULOUS! that is 19 lbs closer to your goal. (or 18 if you count the 1lb that you will probably lose back tomorrow)

Celebrate that - back off the scale if you are doing that more than once a week (or so Ive heard) the weight will come off, just give yourself time and enjoy being banded :confused:

You are doing great! There are so many different foods out there that you can eat and still lose weight. Don't fret over a pound. Last week, I gained 2 lbs. and then by Monday I was down 5. The scale is a funny thing. It varies from day to day. Go on the fact that you are wearing capris that you fit in again...that is a Non-scale victory that you should be very proud of. I was so obsessed with my scale at first that I had to take it out of the bathroom and put it in my closet so it is harder to get to.

Be proud of yourself. By the way, I am able to eat Pork rinds (slowly). I dip them in cheddar cheese spread- yum!!! Everyone is different.

Good luck...you are on the right track!

I am finding out I am not eating enough.

The scales are disappearing from my house as I type this.

I have called my neighbor and asked her to go get them out of my house and take them somewhere.

I am finding out I am not eating enough.

The scales are disappearing from my house as I type this.

I have called my neighbor and asked her to go get them out of my house and take them somewhere.

:confused: ..ahhhh MelAnne....you slay me, girl!!!!!

scales outta your house...good for you!! Do what works!!!

*still laughin'*...("with" you, not "at" you!!!)

I am serious, I am outta control.

I am not eating, and now I am not loosing.

Why the heck did I do this?!?!!?

I am going to be a bad bandster, and I am ashamed.

Aww stop beating yourself up. It's just going to take some time to adjust to this new lifestyle. I remember being afraid to eat. I remember being so scared that I was going to screw up and fail at yet another "diet" attempt.

Just take a step back, slow down, and breathe. This is really very simple. Eat 60 grams of Protein per day. Do this by eating good solid Protein such as fish, chicken, very moist red meat (if you can), and perhaps cottage cheese. Then add in your veggies, and some fruit. You need a well balanced menu to be healthy. Do not rely on fruit juices that are full of sugar, and do not rely on cheese that is full of fat. Lean meats and veggies are the key.

Also, be sure you're taking your daily Vitamin and mineral supplements. (chewables) and drinking a minimum of 64oz of Water per day.

And finally, do some form of physical activity for 30 minutes per day.

Its all a balance. Good food, Vitamins, Water and exercise.

Your band is going to control the amount of food you can eat. So all you have to do is be sure that you put in good stuff and you'll do great. You are NOT a bad bandster for trying too hard to do the right thing!

I am a scale addict as well and have to have the batteries taken out until weigh-in days. It drives me nuts! Remember that after surgery, when you are progressing on to more solid foods, you will see some gain but that is temporary. Don't let it freak you out. You are swollen from surgery, that takes time to subside. Relax. This is not an overnight miracle cure. Get your mind focused on a long term goal. Figure an average of 2 pounds per week. Sometimes it will be more, sometimes it will be less. But that's the average. So far, you are above average and ahead of the game. *hugs*

I think you are doing FABULOUS!! 19 lbs in 3 weeks is WAY ahead of schedule!!:clap2: I am 7 weeks out and only 25 lbs out so you are doing way better than me! You lost so fast at the beginning, you may gain a few pounds only b/c your body needs to catch up and adjust to the rapid weight loss. Remember that any weight loss before you are properly restricted is bonus so you are doing awesome! I have to constently remind myself not to weight myself every day b/c when I gain even a pound I end up being mad the whole day!:confused: Like what was mentioned earlier, this is not a quick race, rather a journey so we need to learn to be patient. You will suceed in this--you are doing better than most. Keep the faith in yourself and keep doing what you are doing! Congratulations on your tremendous loss!!!:eek:

~Liz~

banded 03/10/06

Dr.Ortiz

237/212/150

5'7''

Another thing to remember is that if you take in too few calories and nourishment in general, your body thinks it is being starved, and slows your metabolism way down. It will try to save your life!

I too am a scale addict, have been for years, but I tend to lie to myself if I don't use it to keep me honest!

I have lost tremendously with my pre-op diet, and in the week since being banded, and I am thrilled!!! It is gone!!! However I KNOW this will not continue at this rate, I am going to take advantage of it while it is happening tho! I work hard at getting my liquids all in, the Isopure, and my Water. I also try to do a serving of chicken broth or vegetable broth each day, and have been eating regular Jello, and regular popsicles, to up my calorie intake, and add to my energy, as explained by the dietician. I also chew a multi Vitamin every day and next week will begin my B complex again. It is in a sub lingual form.

Good luck to you, this WILL work, we just have to be good co-pilots!!!

Kat

I am so moved and touched. Thank you for your replies and sticking beside me through this very tough time.

My husband loves me, and therefore I do not believe him when he tells me anything. I mean he loves a fat woman?!!? come'on!!!

I can do this. I can succeed. And I am going to have to eat to do it.

Thank you all again.

That's right MelAnne...you HAVE to eat!! Don't go to the other extreme...imagine what NOT eating will do to your body (not to mention the starvation mode which will then make you gain weight...or at least...not enable you to lose it).

You can do it...it will just take some adjustments...don't forget, it is all still very new for you.

Think positive and take the steps you know you have to take and you will (I guarantee) be a good bandit!!

(plus, you are scaring me since I have yet to start on solids...Dr.s orders!!..and I don't want it to be a big thing when I do!!!).